Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

This is a discussion on Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I was forced to exclusively shoot and carry FMJ ammo then I would weigh in on the debate between 9,.40,.45 with fervor, and promote ...

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    If I was forced to exclusively shoot and carry FMJ ammo then I would weigh in on the debate between 9,.40,.45 with fervor, and promote the .45 ACP all day long. Being the case I can use modern expanding projectiles I don't really have a preference other than I like my 1911's in .45 auto and since I came of age to carry during the .40S&W's early development most of my DA/SA and Striker fired guns are in that caliber. I'll always have a place in my heart for Browning Hi Power's in 9millie, but other than that fine piece of history I'll take everything else in .40 for personal preference.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for checking out the article guys!

I appreciate the thoughtful commentary, whether you agree with the caliber issue or not, the bigger point of the article was the issue of being open to change and seeking knowledge.

Rob

OK, I'm convinced!
    ...But A full-sized 9mm is not always practical...so...

I first considered trading in my everyday summer carry .40 caliber Glock 27 so I can frantically spray ONE (1) more (less effective) bullet a fraction of a second quicker from a Glock 26.

But wait! by that logic I'd be even BETTER served by a similarly compact Beretta 84 and can promiscuously hose an assailant with (count 'em!) FOURTEEN .380's!

(I'll bet you could easily stuff twenty .25's into that gun!)

It's amazing how people get so worked up when someone doesn't agree that their (insert anything here) is the best available option. Even when it's just one person's opinion in an article that has more to do with dealing with change, and adapting.

VIP Member
    Great read, thanks for the post!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I fail to see how putting More rounds into the same place, into a living target, is a desirable goal. Spreading the damage to different vital spots seems a better goal. (To be clear, I mean intentionally spreading the shots to different vital areas, not random chance due to inability to control the weapon.) Otherwise, I have no disagreement with Mr. Pincus. I could just as contentedly carry a 9mm duty pistol as the currently mandated .40.

As for LE switching back to 9mm, from .40, yes, it is starting to happen. My employer, one of the largest municipal PDs in the USA, is about to make the 9mm an option, after being all-.40 since 1997. We buy our own pistols, and I cannot predict how many will switch. I doubt I will bother to switch to 9mm, as there is no compelling reason to do so, and I am near the end of my time with the badge. We buy our own duty pistols, so there is considerable expense involved in switching. (If they want to tempt me to switch, make the .357 Magnum revolver an option again! I own several of them, already; the DA sixgun is my comfort gun, my best performer under stress.)
    Last edited by Rexster; September 15th, 2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Typos, clarifications

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Pincus View Post

I appreciate the thoughtful commentary, whether you agree with the caliber issue or not, the bigger point of the article was the issue of being open to change and seeking knowledge.

Rob
    Thanks for stopping by.

Unfortunately, the never-settled caliber war will likely drown out your larger point.

BTW, I agree with your sentiments. If I wore a badge full time, and did not need to worry about concealment, I'd probably want a high-cap .45 or .357 Sig for the barrier penetration. As a civilian, I choose 9mm for all the reasons you stated.
    shooterX likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

9mm, .40, .45..... shoot what you are comfortable with, can afford to train with, and are proficient with. All out of a weapon you fully trust reliability wise with your life. Regardless of the manufacturer.

That is my advice.
    nightsonge likes this.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I like the 1911 because of the familiar ergonomics. I carry the 9mm for all of the reasons Mr. Pincus mentions. While I'm a fan of the .45 ACP I've never considered it to be the death ray many others seem to think it is. We, as Americans, generally think "bigger is better" when in reality that's not always the case.

The vast majority of the time you will find with my Glock 19 loaded with Gold Dots.

Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

Rob
    Rob, thank you for your honesty and willingness to share with the community your thoughts on such matters.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Distinguished Member
    1. The Myth of the “One Shot Stop”, Part 1: Faster Strings of Fire are Better.
    I believe its going to be more on the shooter than the round they are firing. I am very fast with my .40 cal Glocks and I'm hitting where I aim. I like the recoil of the 9mm better in the Glock platform than the .40 but it's going to be more on the shooter to determine what they are more comfortable with.

2. The Myth of the “One Shot Stop”, Part 2: Higher Capacity is Better.
    The normal round capacity between a 9mm and .40 cal in the same platforms (example Glock 19 and Glock 23) is 2 rounds. If you find yourself in a situation where 2 rounds is going to come into play either A. you are in a situation that 2 rounds of 9mm will not help you much or B. you need to seriously rethink your ability to engage life threating targets with a weapon and get some professional training.

3. Negligible Difference in Practical Wounding Potential.
    If you do your part and put the round where it needs to go with a good defensive round you should be alright either way.

4. Lower Cost, High Value Practice
    This is very true. 9mm is a lot less expensive where you are shooting a lot.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I'm new to "the gun world," and I've been a fan from the start. Well, not a fan, really, as that implies some kind of less-than-rational emotional attachment: rather, I simply really like your style of presentation, as well as what you have to say.

I try to learn from as many teachers as I can, and part of that is because I don't want to get too ingrained in the ways of one or another: I want to see what works best/better, for me, for myself, and I want to stay open to change.

Both great rounds, both do the job. choose what feels best for the individual. I agree with what a previous poster said about that working great for him but maybe not everybody. I personally carry a G19 and my last gun was .40. Either one would do the job.
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

I have always believed that if you switch to a smaller framed gun from your full size gun, then downsize the caliber accordingly. That said, I carry a G26 9mm in the warmer weather, and a fullsize 1911 in the cooler weather. In warmer weather, people are typically dressed in single layer light clothing, and I feel the 9mm is enough to deal with light clothing. Come cooler weather with multiple layers of clothing, I'll step up to my 1911 in .45 for a little more insurance.

All of my personal primary carry guns are 9mm for the same reasons Mr. Pincus listed. I still carry .40 at work, but I don't feel undergunned in the least bit with 9mm.
    Nothing "wrong" with any major caliber, just personal preference.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links