Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W... - Page 7

Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

This is a discussion on Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've gotta give kudos to where they are due. Anybody that's willing to even think that there are other options that are different from what ...

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

I've gotta give kudos to where they are due. Anybody that's willing to even think that there are other options that are different from what they have always said, and are willing to put it out there for others to see, is one hell of a man!

Me, I'm a 9mm guy. His points all ring true to me. And that's why I went to the 9mm years ago. Those same exact points.

I firmly believe that you should shoot the largest caliber you can, comfortably, accurately and quickly. That's gonna be different for each of us.
    Question Everything!

[QUOTE=Glockwatcher;2029779]By that logic, a .32ACP would be even better than the 9mm as soon as a someone introduces a pistol with a 20-round magazine (+/-).

Honestly no offense intended, but now you are being silly, and taking things out of context, putting words in his mouth that he never said, people do this when they are desperate and defensive....by the way there is a 20 round mag available for the new Walther PPQ 9mm...

Wink

^^^^ Correct.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    A guy on another forum just center massed a dirtbag 7 times in Colombia. Dirtbag is still alive.

I would carry a 9 if that's all that was available.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    I don't get why so many people run out and buy what some "expert" tells them to buy. This isn't rocket science. Buy what you want, shoot what you want. If you can't figure out, on your own, what is and is not a suitable self defense handgun and caliber, then you probably shouldn't be carrying yet anyway. Don't worry about others opinions, it's your weapon and your life. Make your own call!
    Some folks just live by guru....

[QUOTE=Chad Rogers;2031990]A guy on another forum just center massed a dirtbag 7 times in Colombia. Dirtbag is still alive.

anything is possible and that is anecdotal.....and I just heard "another guy on another forum" say he was an alien from another planet..........can we please keep this within some sort of context of reality..... statements like that make you sound like you are 12.

Smolck

The HST compared to a Gold Dot seems a little off. Compare two gold dots or two HSTs rather than one over the other... They are both good rounds, but the HST is just built differently. I have seen HSTs have greater expansion over Gold Dots consistently.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Smolck

The HST compared to a Gold Dot seems a little off. Compare two gold dots or two HSTs rather than one over the other... They are both good rounds, but the HST is just built differently. I have seen HSTs have greater expansion over Gold Dots consistently.
    Okay. 124gr Gold Dot 9mm penetrated 13 inches and expanded .65. I chose the HST because it was a heavier bullet and I wanted to show something closer in weight to the heavier .40 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    From the article: "Trained personnel such as police and military can be expected to shoot better under stress than civilians. "

Well, .........

I guess there's a first time for everything.
    My department qualifies once a year (I won't get started on the value of "qualifying"), and has done one day of "combat shooting." While that "combat" training was great and taught some people alot, it's hardly what one should call "adequate" or would lead me to believe that they would shoot better under stress than a civilian. Department budgets around the country are very low right now, and I can understand why we don't train as much as we should, thats why I shoot IDPA on average once a month and practice for those matches. It's not perfect with the rules, but it's practice, and practice under some type of stress at that.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    .40 S&W is the most widely used caliber in LE in the United States today. The Glock 22 is the one of the most widely issued LE pistols. I'd have to see proof that LE is "backing away" from the caliber before I'd believe it.

You may not like the caliber, but I see a 180 grain .40 bullet at 975+ fps or a 165 grain at 1100 fps as something a bit more than "useless." From a ballistics standpoint, it's hard to find a bad defensive round in .40 S&W. I don't personally own any .40 pistols now, but I carried a G22 for many years with confidence. I don't understand why someone would "hate" a caliber that works just fine.
    Simple. Recoil is snappy and uncomfortable. Round count is lower than the 9mm (also the reason why I dropped the .45acp). The caliber isn't as flexible (I can shoot a 9mm or .45 in a smaller frame gun and deal with the recoil but not with the .40. And then its the questionable performance of the round itself.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I carry 9, 40 and 357 Mag as a primary interchangeably. My last concern is which caliber it is as long as I can get good hits with the gun and ammo combo.

During the last ammo shortage, I was able to find 40 but not 9mm. Diversity is good sometimes
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

jyo
    There is a 9mm HK USPf with 15 rds next to my bed at night---there is also a Kahr CW9 pistol in the living room---all loaded with 115+P JHPs and a 4" Ruger Security Six with 38 Special 158 SWC +P hollow points in another part of the house. Paranoid? Nah, in 1980 I was involved in a SD shooting in my living room of my last house---IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!

[QUOTE=SGFvr;2031978]
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockwatcher View Post
    By that logic, a .32ACP would be even better than the 9mm as soon as a someone introduces a pistol with a 20-round magazine (+/-).

Honestly no offense intended, but now you are being silly, and taking things out of context, putting words in his mouth that he never said, people do this when they are desperate and defensive....by the way there is a 20 round mag available for the new Walther PPQ 9mm...
    the xdm9 also will hold 20(19+1) that's a full box of sd ammo, and with the way the xdm's shoot that is a lot of lead on target real quick... Kudos to the writer for being open minded to different options

I could not agree more I choose to carry 9mm mostly because of the extra capacity of the 9mm magazines. My XD SC holds 14 rounds when loaded +1.

I will also stick to the 9mm as caliber for carry.....very comfortable with it's ability to be effective
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links