Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

This is a discussion on Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't want to be shot with any caliber--9mm or otherwise, and I don't know anyone else who has a preference either....

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't want to be shot with any caliber--9mm or otherwise, and I don't know anyone else who has a preference either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

I wonder how many more of these useless "9mm v .40S&W" threads we are going to have before people realize that the horse was dead and turned into dog food a long time ago?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I wonder how many more of these useless "9mm v .40S&W" threads we are going to have before people realize that the horse was dead and turned into dog food a long time ago?
    The only thing worse than beating a dead horse is betting on one!
    DRM likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    It's hard to know for sure if Mr. Pincus is right or not, but I carry a 9mm for the same reasons he does.

Jim

Was the dead horse shot with a 9mm or a .40 cal?
    Chief1297 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I am a fan of the 9mm. However I think that the .40 S&W works fine as well but I prefer the 9mm for a variety of reasons. I shoot it better and it is cheaper are the main ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Was the dead horse shot with a 9mm or a .40 cal?

Both. And a .45 to the head for good measure.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Agreed....and always been a 9mm fan and carrier.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

So Rob prefers 9 now? So what? Well Bob down the street now prefers 45. Billy over yonder now prefers his 357.

To the OP. Thanks for the link.

I'll agree with it, but, there are times that BIGGER is better....
    (Take a 9mm out on a hunt in bear country )

But, for the two legged creatures..... Give them two 9mm rounds and that will often solve the headache
    Now-days with modern bullets and powders, the "Rules" are changing.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

VIP Member
    What works for me today is just that. After years of carry, I haven't quite yet reached an opinion etched in stone. When I do, it'll be my epitaph. It's great for Rob to reevaluate his choices. If it's going to be a gunfight, any gun will do, for a pistolero can shoot anything well. I'll want to be the one hiding behind cover with a 45. I think the benefits of the 9mm stem from recent advances in ammo and compactness, for better incapacitation potential and better concealment. Newcomers may find larger and heavier guns more shooter friendly, especially chambered in 380 auto, 38 special, and 9mm. Others who devote the time to train and practice may excel with a 357, 40, or 45 in smaller platforms. Spare mags solve the capacity issue. Casting and reloading take care of the cost issue. In home practice with an unloaded gun, dry fire and presentation from concealment, are cost free and benefit rich. Oops, I gotta run. The popcorn is starting to pop.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

But what if one is unable to gain the purported effectiveness of these multiple hits that are assumed by some responses to this thread? No matter the reason; fill in the blank. You miss. Your pistol jams. You are injured. The assailant takes the first hit but closes with you and wrests your pistol away from your grasp before you can fire again. What if one hit, for better or worse, is all you get? Intentions to fire multiple shots don't count if one is unable to follow through with it.

How important is that first shot? If all you get is one shot then what is your cartridge of choice? After honest deliberation will it really be the same one you are intending to "spray and pray?"

Just asking. Personally I'm fine with .38 Special +P 158 grain SWC loads though the .45 ACP looks like the ultimate.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Excellent point.
    Although I have had a one shot stop with a .38 Special (Super Vel), my preference is a .357 Mag in a gun of sufficient heft to bust his head if he tries to take it away.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I tend to not participate in these threads, but...

I just do not see how a hit with a 9 is any different than a hit with any other reasonable pistol caliber. It either hits a vital organ or the spine, or it doesn't. Firing through cover or disabling a vehicle are not on my list of priorities.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    2. The Myth of the “One Shot Stop”, Part 2: Higher Capacity is Better.
    The normal round capacity between a 9mm and .40 cal in the same platforms (example Glock 19 and Glock 23) is 2 rounds. If you find yourself in a situation where 2 rounds is going to come into play either A. you are in a situation that 2 rounds of 9mm will not help you much or B. you need to seriously rethink your ability to engage life threating targets with a weapon and get some professional training.
    Yup if you can't put down a threat with 13 rounds of 9mm then you need a shotgun. Those two extra rounds of 9mm verses a .40S&W that holds 11rounds is not going to slove your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    But what if one is unable to gain the purported effectiveness of these multiple hits that are assumed by some responses to this thread? No matter the reason; fill in the blank. You miss. Your pistol jams. You are injured. The assailant takes the first hit but closes with you and wrests your pistol away from your grasp before you can fire again. What if one hit, for better or worse, is all you get? Intentions to fire multiple shots don't count if one is unable to follow through with it.

How important is that first shot? If all you get is one shot then what is your cartridge of choice? After honest deliberation will it really be the same one you are intending to "spray and pray?"

Just asking. Personally I'm fine with .38 Special +P 158 grain SWC loads though the .45 ACP looks like the ultimate.
    Actually if I have to CARRY and shoot just one time it would be a .44mag snub nose. That is the "ultimate". See the word CARRY? That is why I didn't say desert eagle or a 500S&W.
    DefConGun likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links