Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

This is a discussion on Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started out a .38/.357 wheelgunner, then tried a 9mm and liked it alot. I've only recently tried the .40 caliber and with a draw ...

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

I started out a .38/.357 wheelgunner, then tried a 9mm and liked it alot. I've only recently tried the .40 caliber and with a draw from concealment, double tap exercise at close range (anywhere from 3-7 yds)I can keep all the 9mm in the thoracic cavity @ about 2 seconds . I could never get that with a .40 so I do carry the 9mm for that reason. I do still own an M&P40c and will continue to practice with it, because I do enjoy shooting a .40. Just dont trust my life to it....yet.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    also to think about as 9mm ammo is cheaper for practice yes true, but I'm sure that alot of people carry 9mm+P or +P+ rounds. Now if you want to get technical you should be practicing with the "same" ammo you carry. and +P/+P+ ammo is not cheap.

Even though the recoil results of a regular 9mm round is negligible to that of the +P or +P+ rounds, Just at the second shot from a 9mm is .2 seconds faster than if you were shooting a .40S&W, I see the same type of negligance in the thoughts of this "9mm= faster shooting theory"
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Yup if you can't put down a threat with 13 rounds of 9mm then you need a shotgun. Those two extra rounds of 9mm verses a .40S&W that holds 11rounds is not going to slove your problem.

Actually if I have to CARRY and shoot just one time it would be a .44mag snub nose. That is the "ultimate". See the word CARRY? That is why I didn't say desert eagle or a 500S&W.
    I like to think those extra 2 rnds could be the difference between life and death, could stop another attacker with them who knows, idk about statistics but from personal experience most "combat" situations I have seen or been in involved multiple attackers, I want as many rnds as I can get, if I have 2 rnds can make 2 more holes in 2 more bodies. my .02

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    also to think about as 9mm ammo is cheaper for practice yes true, but I'm sure that alot of people carry 9mm+P or +P+ rounds. Now if you want to get technical you should be practicing with the "same" ammo you carry. and +P/+P+ ammo is not cheap.

Even though the recoil results of a regular 9mm round is negligible to that of the +P or +P+ rounds, Just at the second shot from a 9mm is .2 seconds faster than if you were shooting a .40S&W, I see the same type of negligance in the thoughts of this "9mm= faster shooting theory"
    I dont see any difference in point of impact/shot placement efficiency when I practice with one load over the other. I have practiced with the light 115 gr.fmj and 124 gr.+p jhp, and get pretty much the same poi.and no noticeable difference in follow up shot speed. In fact I've found that mixing the two in the same mag serves pretty much like using snap caps. It helps to not anticipate the extra snap of the +p round when you don't know when you'll shoot a standard load or a +p load. But this is at 3-10yds. and combat accurate hits. I dont worry much about tight groups,just effective hits. The follow up shots in the .40 cal is where I need more work.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I carry what Rob Pincus approves of about as much as I would vote for whomever Lady GaGa supports.
    DRM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmruger View Post
    I could not agree more I choose to carry 9mm mostly because of the extra capacity of the 9mm magazines. My XD SC holds 14 rounds when loaded +1.
    I like my 15+1 in my Ruger SR40 for the same reason....I'm sure there's 9mm guns that hold more so the statement can be applied over and over...I also have spare mags at the ready.
    Disarming victims doesn't solve crime.
    ACLDN/USCCA/IDPA/NRA

I don't believe in experts. There are only those who know, those who don't , and those who think they do.
    zacii and DRM like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't believe in experts. There are only those who know, those who don't , and those who think they do.
    I agree, it's hard to be an expert in a field that has ever changing technology.
    jem102 and DRM like this.

Who cares what Pincus carries? That is his choice and if he is ok with it, then good on him. I can think for myself and prefer something that begins in "4." (I wonder if Rob cares what I carry?)
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

I can shoot any of 'em as well as the other, so I just roll with whatever I feel like.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

15 years ago I used to agonize over ballistics, grains, co-efficients, and all that jazz. All I got was a headache.

Now days I pretty much stick with name brands. Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST's, Hornady TAP, Ranger T, etc. in the most common bullet weight for the particular caliber I'm buying for.

Where I live, unless I buy from mail order (and pay shipping), it's hard to be consistent finding the same ammo in stock at any given gun shop from the prior purchase. The only thing consistent at our local Walmart is the Winchester white box for range use. I can buy Gold Dots two purchases in a row, and then not see any for the next 4 or 5 times I go back to buy more.

It just doesn't pay to lose any sweat over it or waste gas going from one gun shop to the next trying to find Gold Dots.

These days, I rarely have enough money to buy in bulk the way I used to do 10 or 12 years ago. I still have 4 or 5 thousand rounds stock piled, but now I only shoot a little at a time and then replace a little (around 100 - 150 rounds at a time).

Years ago, it was nothing to go out and shoot 600 or 700 rounds on a weekend and then go buy a 1,000 rounds at the first of the month to replace it.
    tcon67 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    15 years ago I used to agonize over ballistics, grains, co-efficients, and all that jazz. All I got was a headache.

Now days I pretty much stick with name brands. Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST's, Hornady TAP, Ranger T, etc. in the most common bullet weight for the particular caliber I'm buying for.

Where I live, unless I buy from mail order (and pay shipping), it's hard to be consistent finding the same ammo in stock at any given gun shop from the prior purchase. The only thing consistent at our local Walmart is the Winchester white box for range use. I can buy Gold Dots two purchases in a row, and then not see any for the next 4 or 5 times I go back to buy more.

It just doesn't pay to lose any sweat over it or waste gas going from one gun shop to the next trying to find Gold Dots.

These days, I rarely have enough money to buy in bulk the way I used to do 10 or 12 years ago. I still have 4 or 5 thousand rounds stock piled, but now I only shoot a little at a time and then replace a little (around 100 - 150 rounds at a time).

Years ago, it was nothing to go out and shoot 600 or 700 rounds on a weekend and then go buy a 1,000 rounds at the first of the month to replace it.
    I agree 100%. If you place the shot....9mm 40,45, it doesnt matter, in the right spot, the brand name is not going to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

I get my Winchester at Walmart and my Gold Dots from Ammunition to Go. In my area 100 rds of Winchester fmj 230 gr .45 ACP goes for $35.97
    That's the cheapest I've found.

There will always be discussions about which caliber is best. In my area, a home invader was stopped with one shot from a .22 pistol. (neck wound)
    There was also a story awhile back about an individual who took 18-20 rounds in a shootout with cops and survived. Go figure.

I'm no expert but my advice is to choose a platform and caliber that you are comfortable with and then practice like hell with it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

This " multiple hits on target" jargon is the new buzz. We have been up and down the caliber thing. Round for round, nothing beats a bigger heavier bullet, period.

While a 9mm is a fine defensive cartridge, it is absolute ludicrous to think that it will work as good as a smaller lighter one. There is NO substitute for caliber.

Bmcgilvray brings up a most valid point; you may not get a second or third shot. You may think you are going to apply multiple hits, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Of course the one shot stop is not an absolute, but it's no harder to apply a couple of quick 45 rounds on target as it is a 9mm. And if one is all you get, which one do you want it to be?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

[QUOTE=glockman10mm;2039974]This " multiple hits on target" jargon is the new buzz. We have been up and down the caliber thing. Round for round, nothing beats a bigger heavier bullet, period.QUOTE]

I do agree. There seems to be a lot of "gun writers" jumping on the 9mm "multiple Hits on targets" theme. I guess that when you beat the 9mm vs everything else to death you have to fill the pages with something.

I remember a while back when all they could write about was a Fully auto .22 LR American Auto 180.
    I have no doubt that a chest full of 100 rds of .22 LR fired from a full auto would ruin your day.
    Gun World- Fast Shooting American 180

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links