Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

This is a discussion on Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A pretty good read HERE 1. The Myth of the “One Shot Stop”, Part 1: Faster Strings of Fire are Better. 2. The Myth of ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

JD [OP]
    Administrator

A pretty good read HERE
    1. The Myth of the “One Shot Stop”, Part 1: Faster Strings of Fire are Better.
    2. The Myth of the “One Shot Stop”, Part 2: Higher Capacity is Better.
    3. Negligible Difference in Practical Wounding Potential.
    4. Lower Cost, High Value Practice

There you have it. Those are the four primary reasons that I now recommend 9mm as the personal defense round of choice, have been converting my own personal .40 S&W firearms over to 9mm and would never purchase a .40 S&W firearm for personal defense if I were starting all over today. I let anyone who asks me about defensive guns or bullets know how I feel today, despite years of recommending the .40 and talking about how it was a great compromise between the 9mm and .45. In the mid-90’s I was wrong about the advantages of that round and I have definitely changed my mind about the inadequacies of the 9mm. Acknowledging that I was wrong in the past, is the only way that I can share what I now believe is the best recommendation I can give.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I agree 100%

I love when people, especially those who teach, are not too proud to admit they were wrong. Great quick read.

VIP Member
    I am always impressed to see an "expert" admit they were wrong, or that they no longer teach something that they now recognize as invalid. Usually it is just the opposite. They circle the wagons and defend their position no matter what.

Good for Mr. Pincus for making this statement.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

cj
    My last class, the instructor sadly shook his head about my choice of a 9mm telling me what a poor choice it was and how I should have taken the class before buying it. His recommendation? A snub nose .38 special with a 7 shot cylinder.

I wish he'd take a book from Rob's willingness to examine his opinions from time to time!

I'll keep my .40, had it a long time, am familiar with it and shoot it well.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I like calibers from .380acp to .45acp, .38spl to .44mag. but I know what their strengths and weaknesses are. I have never seen any of the folks that I killed with a 9mm come back to life.
    And with a pistol, shoot early and often and try to keep them in the Quel Zone.

Jungle Work
    Cory1022 and sixgun like this.
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    My last class, the instructor sadly shook his head about my choice of a 9mm telling me what a poor choice it was and how I should have taken the class before buying it. His recommendation? A snub nose .38 special with a 7 shot cylinder.

I wish he'd take a book from Rob's willingness to examine his opinions from time to time!
    I wonder if this instructor is related to the gun shop clerk who instructed me to ship my handgun to an FFL via USPS and not tell them it's a handgun. As far as I know, it is illegal for an individual to ship handguns through the postal service. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to be on USPS property with any sort of firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I agree 100%
    Me too....................
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, I appreciate Pincus' honesty. Thanks for sharing this info. JD.

JHP ammo has come a long way in the past 15 years or so. Here's a link to more data regarding the best defensive firearm rounds:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Color me skeptical. Unless you are a LEO and possibly get involved in an extended shootout, I'd rather the 40. In the article it wasn't really specific about the differences between identical bullets. He refers to how winchester has the PD1. Here is my point, certainly I'd prefer a high energy, hollow point, 9mm over a 10mm solid jacket.

I've argued in favor of the 9mm for a long time and referred to ballistics now available in the 9mm versus the extreme penetration of the 357 mag. Noting that the slower 357 mag, that LEO's have favored in the past, vs the faster 9mm hollow point are very close in ballistics, and, they are the same size and weight. The same holds true if you look at the ballistics of one caliber, like the 40. If you want less recoil, shoot the lighter 40 at higher velocity.

But, hey, I'm just an ordinary citizen who tries to be responsible and protective of my family. I've read everything I can get my hands on, and over the last forty years have develop my own understanding of situation preparedness. Plus there is another variable that comes into the equation, accuracy. I'd rather have one hit and one miss with a 40mm than a 9mm. Finally there is a differences in firearms. Take for example a Kahr PM9mm vs a Kel Tec PF9. I can shoo the Kahr all day, the Kel Tec I don't like to shoot one magazine. So yes if you shoot a 40mm you need a pistol with better recoil absorbancy. I imagine if Kel Tec made a 40mm it would be like shooting a 44mag. I can shoot my Glock 27 all day.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have three .40 cal Glocks for sale. Any takers?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I would still prefer a .45 1911 over any 9mm to defend my family outside my home... that is of course my personal opinion, but one that I will stand by.
    baren, SpringerXD and Chief1297 like this.

For years the guys at APT Academy have been touting the 9mm both for speed in follow up shots and capacity. While they don't rag on any other calibers, they definitely promote the 9mm. Their reasoning... "Why would you not want to shoot accurately faster?" And "Why would you not want to have more rounds in the same size package if you could?"

We were shooting .40 cal Glocks because of our mandate, but I saw the logic. I've been thinking of unloading my G-23 and picking up a G-19 for a while now, just to consolidate calibers. I have a few 9mm's and .45's and only one .40 cal. Since I'm no longer doing swat I don't have a compelling reason to keep the .40. Especially with price of ammo.
    oneshot likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'll stand by my choice for 9mm as my primary personal defense round.

At least he was able to change his opinion and admit it.
    oneshot and 6459 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Links