1911 carry question

This is a discussion on 1911 carry question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you're using a good holster and belt, you don't have to worry about retention straps....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1911 carry question

If you're using a good holster and belt, you don't have to worry about retention straps.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome
    The real question is how in the world are you going to conceal a 1911?!
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Man, you hit the jackpot on gunshop commando advice. That is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen given to one person at one time. Glad you could see through it, got to wonder what keeps the thousands of 1911s in IDPA and USPSA matches from ever detonating in the holster before the buzzer goes off!
    What Would Gumby Do?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Welcome
    Well I generally use a cloak of invisibility, but the wait time is too long on those....

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

From what I can tell there have been a lot more unintended firings of side arms by Glocks then any other gun I can think of, I may be wrong but the only one I can think of for a 1911 is the fellow shooting himself in the leg using a thumb release holster, and it would not have happened if he had not pulled the trigger. Apparently the release is activated by the thumb as you are getting a grip on the gun and caused the safety to disengage. Much the way it would be with a strap!

To clarify Glocks don’t go boom by themselves either, it is just when the trigger is pulled. I believe the 1911 to be one of if not the safest gun out there. I think it just looks scary to those that don’t know any better, and they make up stories to justify their opinions.
    Safety list
    Grip
    Half cock
    Thumb
    On most new ones a firing pin block to stop drop firing

Glocks
    Trigger saftey
    Gun isn’t fully cocked till trigger is pulled

Quote Originally Posted by woodsong View Post
    If you're using a good holster and belt, you don't have to worry about retention straps.
    Agreed

Friction fit should be fine. If the hoslter system doesn't retain the weapon it's probably not a good holster.
    As far as Negligent discharges, people should train for all scenarios. Even ones where they are the variable in placing others in danger.

Go on line and look for a holster. There good holster makers on this site. Also Google holster makers for a list. You will pay a higher price for a good quality holster. Also get a good belt.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Assuming the holster has a covered trigger guard, so that nothing, such as a twig, in a brushy environment, can get inside the trigger guard, I am comfortable with no strap to cover the firing pin. The safety lever only acts as a safety device when the trigger guard is uncovered, with the weapon clear of the holster. When the trigger guard is covered, while holstered, the holster is itself acting as the safety device.

I may want a retention system for really rough conditions, to keep the pistol holstered and protected from damage, but that may as well be a flap that covers the whole weapon.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    There are many holsters for the 1911 with the strap blocking the firing pin.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.
    Yup, no real need for a retention strap for safety, just retention.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Do a complete mechanical function check on your 1911 & then buy a high quality holster minus a retaining strap & also shop for a good gun belt.

Click this link to function check your 1911 ~~~>http://www.coolgunsite.com/funcheck/function.htm

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies. I did not have personal concerns about a failure of all the safety's simultaneously failing. But when I started looking at holsters locally the three places I went all told me I needed the strap to be safe. When I asked why the answer was the same "look at the hammer hanging out there waiting to go off". I asked how that could happen without the grip safety being depressed and the trigger pulled. "It happens all the time, why do you think the police and military don't use these kind of guns any more." One person who claimed to be an "instructor" even told me 1911's will "detonate" if carried cocked and locked and bumped. I asked if maybe he meant discharge but he insisted detonate, I explained that detonate meant the whole damn gun exploded like a bomb. He said "yup hear about it all the time in this business". I started channeling Indigo from The Princess Bride "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means". He did offer to sell me a much better gun that was much safer and better quality, "the Glocks are right over here". I laughed and said hey that is the gun that the DEA guy shot himself in the leg with in the classroom when he was putting it i the holster. Unfortunately I only have 3 choices within an hours drive for gun shops, Gander Mountain, this place and a new place run part time by a local dentist.

Anyway thanks for the confirmation, I have been shooting for 30 years but carrying will be a new experience.
    Those were some of the most ignorant comments I ever heard on the subject!. Who are those people! Are you sure that they were not trying to make fun of you? Or perhaps they just wanted to sell what they had in stock.

Welcome
    You cannot be serious ... right?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Welcome
    Easy, place in holster then cover with shirt.
    bwalker25 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If that guy would have tried to feed me that line of crap I would have started laughing and said your not serious are you.
    I carry a 1911 bevery day in an OWB holster I made,the only retention is holster is wet formed around the gun.It doesn't come out until I want it to
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"Don't need no stinkin' straps!"
    If someone desires a holster with a strap, it is certainly O.K., just not something I could imagine using.

My Kimbers were always carried in quality holsters w/o straps.
    Someday I'll tell you about how I fell down a few stairs at a rodeo and my 'quality (strapless) holster' held the gun in place (but not my pride).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome Doubledown! Nice Princess Bride reference! An all-time favorite movie of mine!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links