Does anyone carry a Beretta

This is a discussion on Does anyone carry a Beretta within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I was just at the store looking at some different Berettas. I am curious to see if carrying a M9 or 92FS is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Does anyone carry a Beretta

Hey guys,
    I was just at the store looking at some different Berettas. I am curious to see if carrying a M9 or 92FS is popular? If not why? They seemed like great weapons and I loved the feel of them. A little bit bigger than my Springfield XD, but over-all I really liked them. Got me thinking..... Any input?

Thanks- Nick.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I always felt like it was a larger platform than necessary for the 9mm round. I prefer a compact/service size firearm for carry; 4" Bbl and full but slightly reduced grip, with an exception for the Colt 1911 Govt., which I prefer to carry in it's original iteration.

I have a 92FS, and it is a joy to shoot.

I'd love to carry it, but I'm 5'8", 140 lbs and that is a pretty big and heavy gun. It's also pretty wide.

Glock 19 is the largest gun I carry. My Beretta pulls nightstand and automobile duty.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The Berertta M9/92 feels great in my hands, until I try to reach the trigger in DA mode. These are huge pistols. I did yearn for one of the single-stack variants, for a while, but they did not produce many, and I never saw one when I had money in my pocket.

A 92FS is one of my EDC's and I am quite happy with it.

Some people say it is too big. I am 5' 8", 155 lbs and I have no trouble concealing it.
    Some people say it is too heavy. After wearing a Sam Browne for many years, I don't find it so.
    Some people don't like the DA/SA of it. I am quite comfortable with it. If I fire from the draw, I don't notice the difference between the DA and SA. If I am not firing from the draw, I cock the hammer and there is no trigger variation between shots.

In addition, I consider its weight and longer sight plane valuable assets for either rapid fire or precise shots and as an impact tool. I have found my Beretta's to be extremely reliable. I also like the reloading on the 92Fs. The double stack mag with its taper at the top provides quick mag insertion without the need of beveling the mag well. In addition, the thick, substantial lip on the mags provides for quick, easy finger hook access.

As I said, I am quite happy with it.
    Last edited by Guantes; September 15th, 2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: additional info
    kal0 likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    The Nano is coming out soon. Looks interesting. Several threads on it already and it seems to be a love hate relationship. You might want to consider it.

I have looked at and worked with the 92F. For me, it is way too big and I do not like the controls as far as placement, function, etc. It is a joy to shoot, but I would not consider it for EDC.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I carry a Beretta, but not a 92. My Beretta of choice is the PX4 Compact. Nice, lighter than the 92, and very accurate.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I own and love the beretta 92FS, exceptionally accurate with plenty of rounds in the mag. You can only carry it with the "dog ears" down or safety off with double action pull, which is fine if you'd prefer not to run a manual safety. Size isn't too big of an issue though it is a bit large for a 9mm. As long as you are willing to train with that thing until it's part of you in the holster and an extention of your hand from the draw you can carry anything (realistically speaking).

I personally carry a 5" 1911 w/ light comfortably and concealed very well. It's all up to you and how to configure your gear and training.

I carry a 92FS everyday. Been doing it for 22 months now. Previous to that, I carried a USPc 45. One day, I compared the grip of the USPc45 to the 92FS. Almost the same. I ordered a Comptac holster, and gave it a shot. Been carrying it everyday since then... At the 3-3:30 position.

I have a compact 92 I carry about 15% of the time. I still prefer the fullsize 92FS.

I like the pictures Shipwreck. I might consider getting one as a fun gun/HD gun. I like how you had the light on there. Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it. I see many people are carrying the 1911, I am curious as to why? It is a great gun, but is there something special about it? It seems like everyone has one. haha.

I am curious to see if carrying a M9 or 92FS is popular? If not why?
    In this day of smaller, lighter concealed carry guns I doubt you'll find that the 92FS is popular as such. I have carried mine concealed in the past with no problem and if you like the Beretta and wish to use it for concealed carry a good holster/belt combo makes that absolutely possible. I'm a fan of the Beretta 92FS. I like the balance and the feel of it and it shoots well for me. I have not found the safety on the slide to be the problem some have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    I like the pictures Shipwreck. I might consider getting one as a fun gun/HD gun. I like how you had the light on there. Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it. I see many people are carrying the 1911, I am curious as to why? It is a great gun, but is there something special about it? It seems like everyone has one. haha.
    Hey Spring,

That's a fantastic question and ironic in a thread about the M9 lol. (Military replaced the 1911 with the M9 )
    To keep from drailing this thread I'll post a new thread regarding 1911 carry.

Here you go:
    Why do you carry the 1911?

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsl105 View Post
    Hey Spring,

That's a fantastic question and ironic in a thread about the M9 lol. (Military replaced the 1911 with the M9 )
    To keep from drailing this thread I'll post a new thread regarding 1911 carry.
    ...and they just now, after 25 years of constantly saying they were going to... decided to replace the M9. I wonder what they'll go with this time around. They've even opened the door to the possibility of a caliber change.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Carried the Beretta M9 downrange and never had any problems with it. I went with the Beretta 92FS Centurion model for concealed carry. Can't go wrong with it, just make sure you use quality Hollow-points.
    United States Air Force Security Forces Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran, now a college student.

carry a full size Beretta 92? Bwaaaahhaaahaaaa. Surely you jest.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links