Back up carry gun

Back up carry gun

This is a discussion on Back up carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at getting a back up for my .45 Kimber. I have a chance to buy several guns. S+W Astra .40 for $275, S+W ...

Thread: Back up carry gun

Back up carry gun

I'm looking at getting a back up for my .45 Kimber. I have a chance to buy several guns. S+W Astra .40 for $275, S+W 5904 9mm for $275, or a Ruger P89DC 9mm for $250. Are any of these guns worth considering? I'm looking for something concealable and accurate. Any other guns that come to mind and fit that description? Mike Z
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

How will you carry and use the backup?

I guess the key question is how will you be carrying the backup? If you carry your Kimber Ultra CDP in a strong side belt holster, it might make sense to carry the backup in a weak side pocket holster, so you can access it with your weak side hand if something prevents you from using your primary. If so, the backup should be something lightweight for pocket carry and very easy to operate one handed.

A good candidate, in my opinion, is the airweight S&W model 642 as shown below. It weighs 15 ounces empty and has an enclosed hammer, so it lends itself to pocket carry. I have one that I like very much.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I got the cheap little P64 as a BUG, and small carry. Same size as a PPK, half the price, and packs a punch.

It all depends on your preference. I got a P-3AT as a BUG and always have it on me, most importantly when I cant carry my primary.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I think I'm going to jump on the Ruger and use it for a while. I'm buying it from a friend but my gun dealer is a high school buddy and he says the gun is in very good shape and the price is very good too. Mike Z
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

Links