Sighting-in distance for SD/HD/Carry?

This is a discussion on Sighting-in distance for SD/HD/Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked ten yards for the distance to sight-in the new heater (a 629-6 Trail Boss). Since I plan on using 44 Special most of ...

Thread: Sighting-in distance for SD/HD/Carry?

Sighting-in distance for SD/HD/Carry?

I picked ten yards for the distance to sight-in the new heater (a 629-6 Trail Boss). Since I plan on using 44 Special most of the time, I decided to use that caliber for all the adjustments. After it was zeroed, I tried shooting all 6 quickly to see if I could manage the recoil. No problem, even with the 3in barrel....it shoots very similar (recoil-wise) as my Ruger Blackhawk/Bisley 5.5 using 45 Colt loads.

Then I ran a box of 20 Magnum rounds. Wow, what fun, and MUCH less punishing than I anticipated. With the Hogue grips, this beauty is a pleasure to shoot. This package works! I tried double-tapping with the magnums and still had no issues with recovery.

Is 10 yards a good distance for sighting-in?

2. Remove Ads

In most SD situations you will be well within 10 yards, probably closer to 10 feet!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    there are rules and saying for darn near everything

here is the 3's

most encounters that involve handguns happen start to finish in under 3 seconds
    and occur closer than 3 yards averaging 3 shots fired.

statistics and averages needs be taken with a large gr of salt.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Inside of 10 yards I won't be using sights other than for a precision shot, so I prefer sights set farther out if possible.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

For defensive purposes, 10 yards is fine, but I'd probably push it out to 15 yards. Most handgun rounds have a flat enough trajectory out to 25 yards that you really don't have to sweat this decision. Now if your gun shoots seriously off the point of aim (my Springer was 3 inches low at 15 yards, and the factory fixed it pronto), that's a different story.

For hunting purposes, I'd be more concerned with trajectory and max probable range.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Shooting off hand, the difference between POI for 5-25 yards is going to be negligible. If you sighted at 10 yards you should be good to go.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think signting in at about 15 yards is a good distance. My reasoning is that anything under that distance the POA/POI will be almost unnoticeable, and past that distance (approx. 25 yards) won't be enough change in POA/POI to matter (talking 2-3" at the most from what I've seen). If you need it past that distance, then I can't help you because I've never tried it.

RBH

Links