Single stack options - quality

This is a discussion on Single stack options - quality within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love my G26, but I'm liking the single stack. Sometimes I just want to have a slim single stack on my waist. I had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Single stack options - quality

Single stack options - quality

I love my G26, but I'm liking the single stack. Sometimes I just want to have a slim single stack on my waist. I had a Kahr P9 and loved it. Had to let it go for financial reasons, but really would like another single stack. While out and about with a friend, I discovered the Sig P238. That little dude is sweet. I'm not concerned with the .380 size, so please...this is not one of those threads.

So, my question is, what single stacks are good, reliable quality (Either 9mm or .380)? I'm looking at the...
    S&W Bodyguard
    Sig P238
    Kahr CW9

Are there others that perhaps I should look at? Right now, I'm leaning BIG TIME towards the Sig. That just seems like a nice piece of awesome. Single stack, smaller size is what I'm after. Taurus...not an option at this time. Ruger LC9...no thumb release was a deal breaker (I wanted a one hand operation to close slide).

thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    For .380 cal single stack you might want give a look at bersa 380 thunder. Has a bit more weight than the plastic / metal pistols and is big enough its easy to get hold of and simply works well.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    For .380 cal single stack you might want give a look at bersa 380 thunder. Has a bit more weight than the plastic / metal pistols and is big enough its easy to get hold of and simply works well.
    Yep, I can appreciate this. However...my wife already has this. I don't want to copy her

VIP Member
    My wife has the CW9, if I were in the market for a 9mm for carry myself, I'd go with it. As to the Ruger LC9, I had one and sold it, I did not like the trigger on it. Not sure what you meant about the LC9 not having a thumb release for the slide. It does have a slide release.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Check out these threads:

Walther PPS vs. Glock 36
    Looking for a small, single stack 9mm

I ended up getting the Walther PPS. I bit more expensive, but so far, very pleased with it.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My wife has the CW9, if I were in the market for a 9mm for carry myself, I'd go with it. As to the Ruger LC9, I had one and sold it, I did not like the trigger on it. Not sure what you meant about the LC9 not having a thumb release for the slide. It does have a slide release.
    Well, maybe this one I looked at wasn't functioning properly. It didn't have a "one handed" operation. I would push the thumb release, but I'd also have to use my left hand to slide it back a bit to release. If this is normal...I don't want that feature. It needs to release with one hand. Correct me if this is not how it's supposed to happen...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    Well, maybe this one I looked at wasn't functioning properly. It didn't have a "one handed" operation. I would push the thumb release, but I'd also have to use my left hand to slide it back a bit to release. If this is normal...I don't want that feature. It needs to release with one hand. Correct me if this is not how it's supposed to happen...
    It is normal with an empty magazine. With a round in the magazine it is a one handed operation.

BTW the Kahr CW series is the same way, empty magazine requires 2 hands to operate, with a round in the magazine it snaps shut with the thumb release.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post

I ended up getting the Walther PPS. I bit more expensive, but so far, very pleased with it.
    Is there an obvious difference in size - side by side

So, I found this, looking for G26 vs. PPS sizing...

Gun for the wife, first time shooter

Looks much more slim. Thanks

eb
    I find most often when I want to carry a small gun, its ends up being my .38 special Ruger LCR revolver. I've had no problems with my KelTec PF9 that was $280 new, but its raunchy to shoot/practice with, so its usually just sitting in the hand safe on my desk at home.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It is normal with an empty magazine. With a round in the magazine it is a one handed operation.

BTW the Kahr CW series is the same way, empty magazine requires 2 hands to operate, with a round in the magazine it snaps shut with the thumb release.
    Gotcha, thanks. Well, thanks for messing things up now!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    Gotcha, thanks. Well, thanks for messing things up now!
    LOL...not a problem, always happy to help!!

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    SIG P239 in 9mm.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

the LC9 was voted 2011 gun of the year. this should give it some plus points if you ask me

PPS is an excellent pistol, soft shooter for a small 9mm...i have thousands through mine...no hicckups period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links