What's your RIA experience?

This is a discussion on What's your RIA experience? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't care if a gun is bone ugly (though I won't go as ugly as highpoint) - I look to invest in guns that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What's your RIA experience?

What's your RIA experience?

I don't care if a gun is bone ugly (though I won't go as ugly as highpoint) - I look to invest in guns that are known for reliability. I hear Rock Island Armory 1911s brought up when people talk about good functionality.

Are RIA's 1911s very reliable? In general, do they have any common issues in reliability? Accuracy?

I love the price tag and I would like to purchase my first 1911 sometime. If not RIA then I will wait another year to build up some cash for a Colt.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

2. Remove Ads

Ive asked and searched the same thing and from what I found from people I have spoken too is they are real good carry guns for the money and they have had no real problems. only thing i hear but I hear this for most guns is to take it to a shop and have everything cleaned up well and it will be fine.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Mine was very positive, over 500 rounds fired with no problems at all.

Senior Moderator
    The RIA's are like the Volkswagen of the 1911 community.

They dont get a whole lot of respect, but they work. Although they are fairly inexpensive, a dealer here that sells several every week hasnt had any issues yet, at least he hasnt had to send any back to the factory.

I think for the occasional shooter they are OK.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

ITW
    Although I haven't had the pleasure to own one, all I hear is good stuff about their pistols.

Made in the Philippines by 'Arms Corporation of the Philippines (Armscor)'.

"Armscor is also the source of pistols for STI's Spartan pistol and Charles Daly as well as Auto Ordance 1911 style pistols. Armscor is an ISO 9001 certified compliant company which manufactures weapons using CNC (Computer Numerical Control) equipment."

Armscor (Philippines) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't be put off by this. The Filipinos have been making 1911's since the end of WW2 and liberation from the Japanese and have a long history of firearms savvy and gun making. This factory is also state of the art. I understand the quality is equal or better to any GI stuff. And all parts are interchangeable.

I invested in a foreign made 1911 similar to the RIA (American Classic) and I too, like you, consulted the forums and interwebs. I wanted one so I read and heard what I wanted to read and hear. Here is an expensive lesson I learned, a cheap 1911 is a poor representation of the platform. Save your money and get a Springfield or Dan Wesson. A good, truly reliable 1911 should cost you $800 or more. You may get a good RIA, but you are more likely to have problems. And for a carry gun that is a bad thing.

A polymer, stirker fired gun (glock, ruger, m&p, etc) will be roughly the same price as the RIA and far more reliable as a carry piece.

Here is a comparison of the Rock Island Armory vs a Springfield. Enjoy and God Bless

Photo Essay: Springfield GI vs RIA Fullsize 5" (56K WARNING!) - GunRightsMedia

Just buy the Colt and be done with it. You might be broke, lose some weight until next payday, and get a little behind on the mortgage, but at least you will be happy with the choice in the long run :)
    old grunt and BigJon10125 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Here is a comparison of the Rock Island Armory vs a Springfield. Enjoy and God Bless

Photo Essay: Springfield GI vs RIA Fullsize 5" (56K WARNING!) - GunRightsMedia
    Nice pics, but shows nothing about how the gun performs.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I invested in a foreign made 1911 similar to the RIA (American Classic) and I too, like you, consulted the forums and interwebs. I wanted one so I read and heard what I wanted to read and hear. Here is an expensive lesson I learned, a cheap 1911 is a poor representation of the platform. Save your money and get a Springfield or Dan Wesson. A good, truly reliable 1911 should cost you $800 or more. You may get a good RIA, but you are more likely to have problems. And for a carry gun that is a bad thing.

A polymer, stirker fired gun (glock, ruger, m&p, etc) will be roughly the same price as the RIA and far more reliable as a carry piece.
    What happened to the AC that you were polishing up? Did you have issues with it?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    What happened to the AC that you were polishing up? Did you have issues with it?
    Yep. Lots of them. Seemed to get worse as I fired more through it. Even after a spring kit and some other "tweaks". Fired 500 or 600 rounds and had quite a few FTE's. There was a thread on here about it. Sad too, it was pretty. But since I can only afford one EDC right now, I went with something that has ZERO issues (M&P). As a range gun the RIA's, AC's, and others are fine. But I have a seen and heard of a lot of people having problems. And by the time you pay a smith to bring it to "carry standards" you could have bought the Colt, Springer, etc. I am saving up for an Ed Brown.

Yep. Lots of them. Seemed to get worse as I fired more through it. Even after a spring kit and some other "tweaks". Fired 500 or 600 rounds and had quite a few FTE's. There was a thread on here about it. Sad too, it was pretty. But since I can only afford one EDC right now, I went with something that has ZERO issues (M&P). As a range gun the RIA's, AC's, and others are fine. But I have a seen and heard of a lot of people having problems. And by the time you pay a smith to bring it to "carry standards" you could have bought the Colt, Springer, etc. I am saving up for an Ed Brown.
    If your AC was manufactured in the old factory, I believe it was crap, but Metro Arms has a new factory, and the new guns are great, You do not need a colt, Ill race mine against anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    If your AC was manufactured in the old factory, I believe it was crap, but Metro Arms has a new factory, and the new guns are great, You do not need a colt, Ill race mine against anything...
    Dunno, bought it new in May. I'm not saying there aren't good RIA's, but honestly, for another $200 why not get a Colt or Springer? Just my opinion based on MY experience, for what it's worth anyways.

Dunno, bought it new in May. I'm not saying there aren't good RIA's, but honestly, for another $200 why not get a Colt or Springer? Just my opinion based on MY experience, for what it's worth anyways.
    I purchased the deluxe models, I have three, one of which has wilson combat match grade barrel and bushing, extractor and a spring kit. The AC cost 385 out the door, the barrel and bushing was 280 total price for the match grade pistol was just over 700..You cannot purchase a pistol like that for that kind of money. I would even venture to say, that you and I could get your AC back to running well. Let me know. Im more than willing to help :)

To the OP, the RIA are a good pistol. I have there compact version, it has been great for the last 2500 rounds.

My RIA 1911 Tactical is well made, tightly fitted, and does not rattle. I am a Machinist and the machining work on the frame and slide is excellent. It is accurate, shoots to the point of aim, and has had ZERO failures to Feed, Fire, or Extract. I would buy another. They are a great value for the money spent.
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links