Glocks and/or XD for CCW?

This is a discussion on Glocks and/or XD for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, First of all, thank you for the awesome responses about the M&P9. Great forum, I can already tell! Now, my mother-in-law heard that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glocks and/or XD for CCW?

Hey guys,

First of all, thank you for the awesome responses about the M&P9. Great forum, I can already tell!

Now, my mother-in-law heard that I took a CCW course, and gave me her late husband's XD40 Subcompact (.40 SW, 3" barrel). It's a great gun, but the lack of a manual safety makes me a little nervous to carry it for CCW. Has anyone carried an XD (grip safety only) or Glock (no safeties) for CCW? I'm just afraid I will shoot my foot off; I do practice drawing from concealment 10 mins every day, with an unloaded/unchambered gun and using the
    "index draw" method, but it still makes me nervous?

Any tips, stories, advice from you guys?

Hey Mp9,
    I got my carry about 4 or 5 months ago and I am using a Springfield XD(9mm) Sub compact. I carry it in a Cross Breed holster and I love it. I went with the XD over Glock because of the grip safety. I was in the same boat as you as being nervous about it. I haven't had any issues at all with it though. I feel very confident with my XD. It is a great size for concealing too! Honestly it just takes time before you get over the nerves. I am getting more used to it everyday I carry and becoming comfortable with it while I am carrying.
    -Nick.

I primarily carry a Glock. If you don't pull the trigger, it will NOT discharge. I suppose I am most careful in holstering the weapon with a round chambered, making sure that I don't snag the trigger on clothing or anything else. Overall, this is no different than carrying a revolver, and that doesn't seem to concern anybody. Carry it around the house for a month in the holster of your choice, unloaded, perhaps that will make you more comfortable with the XD.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I have carried a Glock before. I would suggest carrying the gun with the striker cocked but with an empty chamber. Do so for a week and around the house. At the end of the day see if the gun has "fired" and that should alleviate any fears you may have. The Glock is a very safe gun if you learn to keep your finger off the trigger and practice gun safety. I would even say it is harder for the XD to go off as the grip safety is another safety measure that needs to be defeated.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    Hey Mp9,
    I got my carry about 4 or 5 months ago and I am using a Springfield XD(9mm) Sub compact. I carry it in a Cross Breed holster and I love it. I went with the XD over Glock because of the grip safety. I was in the same boat as you as being nervous about it. I haven't had any issues at all with it though. I feel very confident with my XD. It is a great size for concealing too! Honestly it just takes time before you get over the nerves. I am getting more used to it everyday I carry and becoming comfortable with it while I am carrying.
    -Nick.
    Great minds think alike...

i personally carry a XD 3" 9mm appendix carry daily w/ no concerns, mind you when im sitting down and consciously think of the barrel pointing...... well you know where it makes me think but i wouldn’t change. i would carry a glock the same way too, in fact i would like to get the glock 27 sometime this year, maybe x-mas. the only reason i bought the XD over the glock in the first place is the rail on the XD. i wanted a SC to carry and when im on a trip have the ability to clip a tactical light on the rail at night when in the hotel room and unfortunately glock does not have the rails on their SC.

the holster protects the trigger from getting snagged, and as long as you keep your finger off the trigger you should be ok. guns dont just go off on there own they just dont.

My EDC is the SA XD40 SC, love this gun. You have two safeties, one on the grip and one on the trigger. You don't have to worry about them should you need your weapon for SD as normal draw and fire will release them. Gun will not go off until both are cleared, grip safety by gripping the gun and the trigger safety by pulling the trigger. IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES, YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS WEAPON.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome MP9 from a fellow New Mexican. I have an M&P 9c that I use for EDC. What helped me when I decided to carry one in the pipe, was to research how the mechanics of the gun works. Like the earlier posters have said, it will not fire unless the trigger is pulled, much like a revolver. On the other hand, with my SA 1911, I carry it cocked and locked (manual safety) because of the mechanics of that type of gun. Glad to see we have yet another armed good guy in NM.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Has anyone carried an XD (grip safety only) or Glock (no safeties) for CCW?
    Only about a bazillion people!

OK, I'm kidding around with you. Welcome to the forum. I ONLY carry pistols with NO external thumb safety. My choices are listed in my signature.

Treat any firearm with the respect a deadly weapon deserves, external safeties or not, and you will be fine.

Get some training, and good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Carry a Glock 36 in a IWB as 4:00, and at first i had the same fears you described, but in time it went away.

Just train your muscle memory to keep your finger off the trigger when you reholster.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Been carrying Glocks for nearly 15 years, never a problem. I carry IWB at about 3:30-4 when off-duty. Very comfortable and with proper training and practice you should have no fear of an ND.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Neither my Glock 19 nor my Kahr PM9 have external safeties. I regard them both as the most comfortable, reliable and yes, safe concealed carries I own. Carried in Brommeland Max-Con V's, they remain concealable, quickly accessable and re-hosterable, and extremely secure in all activities.

I carry a Glock 19 primarily, but I can see either as being a good carry weapon. Just make sure that you're comfortable with whichever you choose and are practicing with it (dryfire and draw techniques are really helpfull in getting to know your weapon).

RBH

Sponsor
    I'd like to offer a few thoughts, these are my opinions but rooted in experience.

First off, A properly working gun should fire if the trigger is pulled (provided safeties are disengaged). We should expect every single gun we handle to fire if the trigger is pulled and under no other circumstances, and fortunately for most of us with basically any modern handgun, that is the case. When you take into account the 3 safeties utilized on the XD its an extremely safe handgun. You have the grip safety, trigger safety, and firing pin block. When the weapon is held properly, the trigger now becomes the only "Safety" that you manually have to actuate. So how do you stay safe carrying this type of weapon? The same way you stay safe with any other handgun.

First is trigger control. I'm sure you are familiar with proper trigger control. Typically when you see experience shooters have negligent discharges its because they became lax and didn't exercise proper trigger control.

Second is a good holster that covers the trigger. The reason for this is because you need that barrier to prevent accidental pulling of the trigger by yourself or anything that may be around you. (even if you pocket carry a smaller weapon, or carrying in a bag or purse you should always have the trigger covered.)

Its really that simple, Trigger control, which you should be aware of already, and a quality holster.

Now, I can tell you that I understand your apprehension or nervousness about carrying a weapon like a Glock or an XD with one in the chamber (a lot of people get nervous about this at first, I did at one point as well). And its very important that you are comfortable with your method of carrying and you weapon/holster system. As others have suggested, carry it around unloaded for a while till you get comfortable with it, then when you are ready put it into service.

Ultimately, You comfort level is what is most important. Even if you never become fully comfortable with the XD and have to sell in in favor of a weapon with a traditional external safety, its OK!

I think you have a great gun, just make sure you have trigger control and a quality holster and you shouldn't have any problems

-Clay

The trick is the proper holster. As long as it covers the trigger, you will be just fine. I have carried guns with no safety and it isn't an issue as long as you follow the proper rules of gun handling. And for the love only put your finger on the trigger if you have a target and are about to fire!

Check this video....Clint Smith on Gun Safety - YouTube
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links