Kahr MK9 elite ..what are your thoughts

Kahr MK9 elite ..what are your thoughts

This is a discussion on Kahr MK9 elite ..what are your thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; thum_19647af26ae72b7f.jpg Kahr owners give your HONEST opinions on these firearms.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Kahr MK9 elite ..what are your thoughts

Question Kahr MK9 elite ..what are your thoughts

thum_19647af26ae72b7f.jpg

Kahr owners give your HONEST opinions on these firearms....
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

eb
    Its a super nice gun, very smooth trigger. Recoil is not bad at all since the gun has some weight to it. The only downside is the price of the damn thing. I actually have mine sitting at a local gun shop on consignment right now. I just never shot it much, and didn't want to screw up the pretty finish carrying it, lol. I regret buying it overall, should have gotten a Para for the same money. If its what you want though, I'd say go for it. Nothing wrong with that gun...

Wow yes the weight can be a factor, Dont really know if I want a .9mm if I already have a .380

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    IMHO, the main reason to carry a very small pistol is to be able to pocket or ankle carry. That's how I see the MK sized model, however it is too heavy to pocket carry. If I were to pocket carry a Kahr it would be the PM model.

All other carry modes would handle the larger K or T models just as well and that's what I'd choose instead.

I have an MK9 (not the elite model)...

It does have a smooth trigger...but with a 2.5" barrel, it's not a 25 yd gun....it's a git-offa-me gun. While it does have some weight, it doesn't take up a lot of the recoil--you feel it through your hands. It's a gun I practice with and carry...but it's not a gun I would enjoy shooting all day. I have both the 6-round standard mags and a couple 7-round extension mags.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    To heavy for pocket and to small to have enought rounds to make that weight worth while. I do like kahr handguns and have a 2 but they are of the way lighter models , a cm9 and cw9. Both are for me very smooth and controlable under even +P loads. If you feel you have to have the weight of the km I would rather have a glock 19 or a 26 with a extended second mag. Or one of the other lighter m&p or xd models for carry purposes.

Seems with all these responses ill just stick to my p238. Its light and compact feels and shoots great. I can trust my .380 round with my spare mag of hornady CD ROUNDS. tHANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS....

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I own 4 Kahrs; K9, MK9, P9, and P380. The main advantages of the MK9 is that it's SUPER easy to conceal, however, its too heavy for pocket carry and WAY too heavy for Ankle carry. More than likely you'll carry it IWB or OWB. If you're going to do that, then you should seriously consider the K9 or the P9. You get an extra round, slightly longer barrel, hence better sight radius, and you get a full three finger grip.

The only reason I carry my MK9 anymore is when I'm going to be wearing a very thin/light cover garment and I'm really trying to hide the butt of the grip. Frankly, I can take care of that with my P9 or K9. So truthfully If I did it all over again, I wouldn't have bought the MK9.

Having said that, I think the K9 or P9, is the best single stack 9mm for dedicated CCW on the market. They're both very thin, compact and easy to conceal, have the best DAO trigger of any gun I've ever shot, have great sights (love their night sights; all of mine have them).

The K9 is the best shooter. The weight soaks up the recoil and the softer houge type grip is the best feeling grip of any gun I've ever held. It doesn' hang up clothing or any of that junk. Only watch out on the K9 is to make sure you don't end up with the NYPD model. The trigger lenght is a little longer. An 1/8 of an inch doesn't sound like much but it is.

The P9 is almost the perfect gun. No external safeties, no mag disconnect, light weight, etc. The only trivial issue with the P9 is that there's a noticeably more muzzle flip due to the lighter weight andthe plastic checkering on the grip can be a bit much on the hand for range sessions. A Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve fits the P9 perfectly, looks good, stays in place and makes it almost as good a grip setup as the K9.

You can buy a CW9 which is the economy version of the P9. It's a good value but I personally like the refinements of the P9. If you're buying this for life, spend the extra and enjoy those refinements. Better looks, better barrel, etc.

You'll hear all kinds of stuff about Kahr reliability. Bottom line is all of the major manufactuerers make good guns and they all put out one, once in a while, that has to be sent back for warranty work. Mine were all good except the P380 made one trip back to Kahr and the service/turn around was excellent.

My EDC is the K9. I bought it and it turned out to be an NYPD model but mine came with the beveled mag well and clean crips laser engraving found on the Elites. I had to send it to Kahr to get the shorter trigger. Most people wouldn't have noticed the 1/8" extra trigger length of pull but I'm picky about such things so I spend $150 to get that fixed.

If this is for carry don't worry abot the shiny flat sides on the Elite. It'll get worn and scratched if you carry if for years so getting shiney surfaces isn't worth it unless this is a safe queen. If you carry it for years and it gets rough looking you can send it for a bead blast finish.

I use my P9 when I'm hiking, working or doing something more physical. Then I appreciate the lighter weight but I shoot the K9 better.

So why to I keep my MK9? I've often thought about trading or selling it but frankly I just love it too much. for me it's a gun I can hide undre a flims white T shirt but I can also shoot it all day long at the range. Beware that it only has a Hard Nylon/plastic style grip so it can be a bit slick. I cut a piece of a bicycle inner tube and slipped it over the grip and it's perfect, just perfect.

Another trick for the MK9 and K9 is to go to Lowes and by the 1" stair grip strips. You cut it to length, peel off the backing and stick it on the front strap of the grip. LOOKS GOOD! and give a very very good grip! I did that BEFORE I put on the inner tube grip so that the tube doesnt move or rotate.

But again, if I was starting out I'd get the K9 or the P9. The bigger/taller you are the more I'd lean towards the K9. The shorter/smaller you are the more I'd lean towards the P9.

Hope this helps
    God Bless
    Gideon
    SIGguy229, gunthorp and sensei2 like this.

One of the sexiest guns out there. It's super accurate for such a small gun, and it conceals extremely well. It's metal, if you're into that sort of thing. It feels great in your hand, and is extremely well built. It's a very solid little gun. All that comes with weight though. I wont say weight is a bad thing though. Obviously a lighter (pm9) gun will be easier to carry for most, but some of us like the extra heft. The weight isnt bad, but ankle / pocket carry is pretty much a no-no. The MK9 is one of my favorite guns, but I still carry the PM9.

Saw a used-like-new Mk9 elite for sale locally the other day, restrained myself... and wish I wouldn't have. Sure it wouldn't pocket carry, but it'd be a fine beltcarry - would probably replace my G26 for appendix and 4:30 carry.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I am jonesing for a K9 Elite. If you're going to go with a steel gun for belt carry, the K9 is not much bigger and is easier to shoot with a little more oomph because of the extra 0.5" of barrel and the extra round of ammo.
    Hakkaa päälle!

well, since i own a mk9 elite, i suppose i qualify (barely) to comment...however, for whatever reasons, i bought the gun about 4 years ago and have never fired or carried it. go figure? i will say i had good intentions of using my mk9 elite as a primary carry when i bought it and because of it's smallish size, it would encourage me to carry on a regular basis. however, i guess i haven't been motivated enough over the past 4 years of ownership to begin the practice of carrying a handgun. so...here i am TODAY with a renewed interest (i think) in carrying...primarily because a buddy told me how much he LOVED his Sig p238.

having said all of the above, while rethinking my decision to carry my mk9 elite, i keep hearing my buddy talk about how i should trade for the sig p238 as it is smaller, lighter, and easier to carry. yes, he happens to think more of sig pistols than of kahr. so, the other day, i decided to break my mk9 elite out of the safe where it has rested for 4 years and get reaquainted. instantly, i noticed the beauty of the pistol and it *is*, without doubt, a beautiful handgun. however, after gripping the pistol as though i were firing, i asked myself....."what were you thinking" when you bought this? this thing gets swallowed by my large hand and the position of my finger on the trigger was rather awkward. in other words....while holding the gun with a comfortable shooting grip, the trigger was touching midway up my finger as opposed to the finger tip where i am most familiar/comfortable. so, i adjusted/compensated by changing my grip...and this felt even more awkward. interestingly, i remember going to a local gun shop and holding the pistol before i bought it yet i purchased it anyways. hmmmm.

the moral of this story is if you have large hands, why bother with a pistol of this size, despite its ease of carry/concealment, if it doesn't fit your hand. is this solely a problem with the kahr mk9 elite? i think not! in fact, i can't wait to hold my buddy's sig p238 in hopes of determining whether it fits my hand. i assure i will NOT make the same mistake twice. i might add, the extended mag makes my mk9 elite feel better simply because my pinky finger has a resting place rather than dangling in space but it still doesn't address the short 'trigger reach' issue. i suspect i will find the same with the sig p238 when using their extended mag. who knows....the sig may be better for larger hands than my kahr. anybody???????????????????????????

in closing, i'm now thinking if i'm ever going to carry a handgun, i might have to accept the trade-offs of carrying a larger pistol (less comfort, less concealability, no pocketability, etc) and take a close look at a kahr k9 elite or consider other options in a pistol somewhat larger than the mk9 or whatever. your suggestions are welcome. bottom line is 'there is NO perfect pistol' that covers all the bases/needs/wants.
    sensei2 likes this.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I like the Kahr pistols, but honestly the all steel ones are a bit heavy. I carry tiny pistols like the CM9 in a pocket. If I had an all steel model it would weigh too much to comfortably do this as the added weight unbalances your britches, at least that's my perception. Also, the all steel models are extremely pricey. The polymer framed guns are a little more reasonably priced. But if weight and money are of no concern, it's a fine pistol.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Owned a Mk9 for about a year. Like they say to heavy for the pocket its not really the weight its the bunched up bulge that hunk of steel makes.
    So I carried mine in a IWB most of the time OSW some of the time. I have average size hands & it was hard for me to find enough grip to get my hand around!

I did however solve my problem & traded the MK9 for a K9 early last mouth. My K9 conceals (for me) just as easy as the MK9& comes out of the holster much faster is easier to shoot & more accurate. The grip is a perfect size for my mitts. Getting close to the 1000 round mark & she runs like a top!

Give the K9 a look.

I tried to love one for over 6 months. It shot great, accuracy was good, recoil was light, But with it weight for its size, it was like a "LUMP' in my pocket.

I couldn't get it to conceal unless I put it in a holster and then I found that my Glocks 19/23 would conceal just as well when the Mk9 and The Glock were both holstered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links