Kimber Pro Carry

This is a discussion on Kimber Pro Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody run one of these? Deciding between a 4" 1911 and a Glock 19 for carry. All my other guns are full size, OWB only. ...

Thread: Kimber Pro Carry

Kimber Pro Carry

Anybody run one of these? Deciding between a 4" 1911 and a Glock 19 for carry. All my other guns are full size, OWB only. I like the slim 1911 and the 45 that they run, but I like the Glock price. Was thinking of a SA Mil-Spec, but think the Kimber is better suited for carry. I had a Custom II full size, and it fed everything, no throating required.

2. Remove Ads

If you are going to carry the 1911 are you concerned with the extra weight for carry. I know you had a customII but did you carry it? You will be carry'n a cocked and locked pistol so your training well have to be up to snuff a bit more than the average stricker fired pistol. Also haveing twice the round count in the mag of a glock. Lots of guys carry 1911's and do so safely but for me ,never, its a weight thang in general. Atleast with a gen3 glock that you can still buy new it will run basicaly for ever with no real upkeep. Oh I ain;t ether a glock guy all though I own a g17 or a 1911 guy. I carry a kahr. They might also be an option for you if the thin 1911 basic look is what you want.

VIP Member
    I used to carry the Kimber Ultra Carry II, but switched to the Glock 19. For several hundred dollars less, I have a pistol I am much more comfortable with, and confident in.

Kimber Pro Carry II here. I like the slim package and the 8+1 .45 capacity. Use a Crossbreed holster about 4:00; with a good belt, I don't feel the weapon at all.

When I originally got it, it would pitch the empties back at my head. Sent it in for adjusting ... took a few weeks, but works perfectly now.

Used to carry a 1911 commander length. Swapped for the M&P compact for weight and reliability reasons. Cant say I am upset about the decision. But the kimber is a good weapon on a proven platform (the 1911).

Of your two choices...I've had a Kimber Pro, now I have the Glock-19...the Glock wins hands down.OMO
    Take the 'saved cash' and buy ammo...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yes I carry Kimber pro Raptor. Good pistol HOWEVER: I had a bobtail added to mine & at the same time had a trigger job.
    I dry fired it a few times before heading of to the range & guess what happend? The hammer broke in half! I had but 1000 rounds or so through it before this happend just glad it did'ent happen in the middle of a gunfight!!

What did I do? I freaked out that's what. I replaced the hammer the sear the extractor the hammer strut the disconnector with Ed Brown components. I also got rid of that ambi saftey that was always getting some how knocked off with an Ed Brown tactical safety.

I replaced all of these MIM parts becauce my Series 70 & series 80 colts with I guess with well over 50,000 rounds have'ent broken anything!
    My Kimber now runs as well as my Colts & is darn accurate!
    I have Glocks as well & that is the one semi auto handgun I recomend to people that don't want to shoot hundreds of rounds to break in a pistol.

My carry gun is a 3" kimber custom eclipse. I am still testing reliability and best carry methods and have not reached the level of edc. I have found both my 3" and my full size Kimber to be comfortable to carry OWB when I can wear a coat or jacket, Summer has kept me from carrying much. I have not found a way to IWB that I am comfortable with. I just recieved my Remora holster yesterday and am experimenting now. I figured this was the best way to experiment with position and not spend a lot of money. Definitely conceals easier with only a t shirt, and so far not uncomfortable although not as comfortable as OWB. They are right I was able to carry around the house with sweatpants last night gun stayed where I put it. To the op I would go with the 1911. I am biased that way mostly because I am very comfortable with the 1911 platform and find that it is the most natural pointing gun for me. Also IMO a safer design for carry.

Have any of you guys looked into the Kimber Solo Carry 9mm? I believe that will be a sweet and very easy CCW weapon
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

The Kimber is a bit more to maintain and requires a break in. If you own 1911's then you know this already. I like both for carry. The 15+1 in the G19 and ease to maintain is hard to beat and dummy proof. I don't know about the weight difference I wonder how much of a difference it is if the Kimber was loaded with 185gr. 45acp and the Glock loaded with 147 gr. 9mm....lol.

Like them both, have them both. I carry a G26 (sometimes G27).
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Glock 19 all the way. 15+1 is a LOT of firepower. Not to mention no manual safety to possibly be forgot at the worse possible time.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Links