Action Choices DAO/SAO/DASA for C/C

This is a discussion on Action Choices DAO/SAO/DASA for C/C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well its probably been discussed before but here goes. What is your prefference for a c/c handgun and why? I know it varies with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Action Choices DAO/SAO/DASA for C/C

Action Choices DAO/SAO/DASA for C/C

Well its probably been discussed before but here goes.
    What is your prefference for a c/c handgun and why? I know it varies with the handgun you choose to carry but just looking for a different perspective from the people with more knowlege then I have.

TC

2. Remove Ads

I like the 1911 with its single action design, crisp trigger and a convenient safety. I like double-action revolvers with single action capabilities as I choose. It's the "only" in double-action-only that I dislike. I like choices. DAO is yuck to me.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    I like dao type guns for cc. That's just me, and I'm a beginner.

VIP Member
    I like DAO the best for concealed carry.

eb
    The only thing I don't like for carry is SA-only like a 1911. If I ever have to use a gun for self-defense, I just want to pull it and fire it... no extra steps.

I prefer striker / DAO for carry. SAO is also ok, depending on your personal preferences. The only trigger type I would definitely NOT recommend for CC purposes is SA/DA. In all my training, consistency is key. That's what training is. Doing something consistently until you react without even thinking. With a SA/DA setup, you have 2 different trigger weights, and in a situation where you are going to sling lead, you want as few variables as possible. I want the same trigger pull EVERY time I pull that trigger.

OpJ

J
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been carrying for about 17 years...first with a SIG P226..then P229.....both were SA/DA triggers. I've also carried a Beretta (SA/DA) and a Kahr (striker fired)...I have trained with all of these weapons (i.e. trained = used them through week-long training courses). I know what works for me...I can transition pretty easily between the different types of systems.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I personally use striker fired weapons or DAO for self defense and CC. The reasons are numerous, but put simply I want a self-defense weapon that I know I can fire with the least amount of "extra" movement or thinking possible, especially with the small muscles (fine motor skills, as well as other senses/skills can and will go out the window in a stressful situation like a gun fight).
    Single actions like the 1911 are definitely nice and definitely have their place in life (range/gun games) but the manual safeties for me are a hindrance since in a stressful situation that I would have to draw my weapon, if that safety isn't disengaged then the gun won't go bang like you need it to. Murphy's Law would apply to me here I think.
    DA/SA for me is complete garbage. The first long and cumbersome trigger pull, followed by several short crisp pulls just throws so many people off, even if they are competent with the weapon. I know of several persons more qualified than me to handle a weapon attempt to use their issued SIG 226 in IDPA, and not one week later bought Glocks because the SA/DA was just horrible in those types of situations (I watched a few unintentional pulls of the trigger on the second trigger pull before the pistol was lined up with the target because of the pace at which the shooter was moving, which was too fast for the gun/shooter combo). Now this it not to say that the SIG 226 and models like it aren't nice guns, they are and they have their place like the 1911. But for serious self-defense in a life or death situation I think that Striker fired or DAO would be much better choices.
    RoadKill likes this.

I carried a j frame for many years before switching to a pistol. So I prefer DA only. All my carry guns work exactly the same way. Just pull the trigger. I guess I'm a creature of habit. This works for me so I stick with it.

I have tried and have carried SA only and DA/SA and have decided through experience that I'm better off with DA only.
    Question Everything!

My M&P is listed as DAO, but doesn't perform that way to me. I have had DA/SA pistols, SA only (1911) and striker fired DAO pistols. I have come back to the striker fired DAO for CC. Simply because it fits me best and shoot it very well. I pull the gun, I pull the trigger, it always goes bang.

And while I won't say DA/SA is crap, my CZ P01 was a great gun, but that first shot was never on target for me. The follow ups were amazingly accurate though.

I carry striker fired Glocks the vast majority of the time for SD.

I like the same trigger pull each and every time and all I want to have to do is draw, point and shoot in a SD situation.

I carried Glocks for the last 12 years as a LEO and had considerable training using them so I stay with them.

There are times I carry the BHP or the SP-101 because I like them but by and large the Glock is my bread and butter EDC.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

DAO

GM
    I prefer single action semi-autos, and I like the 1911 and the BHP a lot. A good 1911 is very accurate, reliable, easy to conceal, and has an amazing trigger. The BHP is very accurate, reliable and easy to conceal too, but IMO without a trigger job done it does not have a very nice trigger.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I like both, SA and DA/SA.
    My 1911, being SA, has the best trigger pull.
    My PT24/7 DS .40 has DA/SA. I could carry it cocked in SA mode with safety on, like my 1911, or, de-cocked in DA/SA mode.
    The DA pull on it is predictable and not a problem. The subsequent SA pulls are great on the follow-up shots.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

DAK for concealed carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links