Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No - Page 2

Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No

This is a discussion on Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS I carry mine cocked and locked! Flick that safety on and off a few times and see how positive it feels...they ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS View Post
    I carry mine cocked and locked! Flick that safety on and off a few times and see how positive it feels...they don't put hair safeties on 1911 platform guns!
    The P238 is not a "1911 platform gun" and I wish people would stop saying this, it's just not accurate.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The P238 is not a "1911 platform gun" and I wish people would stop saying this, it's just not accurate.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.
    To me it's very similar because of it being cocked and locked minus a few extra safeties the 1911 have!

JD
    Administrator
    To me it's very similar because of it being cocked and locked minus a few extra safeties the 1911 have!
    That's like saying a Sig P220 SAO is a 1911 platform gun because it's carried C&L, just because you think it's that way doesn't make it so.

1911 platform guns = Government, Commander, Officers, "Micro" / Ultra etc. The P238 has zero (maybe the grip screws might be compatible) parts in common with the 1911 and uses a totally different trigger mechanism. While the idea of the P238 and it's predecessors may be "1911 inspired" it's in a whole other ball park all together.

That's like saying a Sig P220 SAO is a 1911 platform gun because it's carried C&L, just because you think it's that way doesn't make it so.

1911 platform guns = Government, Commander, Officers, "Micro" / Ultra etc. The P238 has zero (maybe the grip screws might be compatible) parts in common with the 1911 and uses a totally different trigger mechanism. While the idea of the P238 and it's predecessors may be "1911 inspired" it's in a whole other ball park all together.
    Would you say it looks like a small 1911?

P238: I pocket carry this puppy 24/7. I do not see the need for cocked and locked. I carry with a round in the chamber, un-cocked and safety on. I feel good and safe about this. I can draw this in about a second. Dropping the safety and hammer is automatic.

For self defense, the best weapon is surprise. Being carefully concealed and surprising your foe is best. Must admit that things can happen fast. We are talking self defense here, so you are always reacting. If I were expecting a gun fight, I'd take my rifle.

Things can happen in you pocket. I have been surprised to find my safety off. And even my magazine popped out. That is why I prefer double safe.

Sometimes I wonder about my Sig P220, which is Double/Single. Would I take time to drop the hammer or just haul on the first-double trigger? Probably doesn't matter.
    Rocco969 likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    At a quick glance, yes. But with a closer look one would see the absence of the plunger tube & grip safety, the incorrect contour of the back strap, and the inclusion of a random trigger pin...

Again, 1911 inspired but not a "1911 platform" I blame the gun writers, they've been doing this (comparing "X" to the 1911) since the Mustang and it's predecessors were new.

Once you get to the internals of the frame, there's hardly anything in common. The slide has some similarities as far as the extractor, firing pin, and firing pin stop are concerned, but the firing pin safety is of a different type as well as a couple of other differences.

In short, a lot of things that make a 1911 a 1911 are absent in the 238, and just because it may look like a duck, doesn't mean it will swim or quack like one. Heck, I've seen people try to claim that a Hi Power was a 1911 just because it looked like one and had a cocked hammer and thumb safety.

GM
    I would carry it cocked and locked with one in the chamber.

That you can carry it cocked and locked does not mean that it is a 1911.

I have a friend who says that my P220 SAO Compact is a 1911 because it is SAO and it can be carried cocked and locked . I do not even know how many times I have explained to him that he is wrong, but he continues calling it "1911"

I would not! Compare the P238 with a compact 1911 and you will see the differences.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'll take 'cocked and locked with the safety on and in a quality pocket holster' for $400.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

First, the P238 is not a "mini" 1911. Check a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry and you get close to a "mini" 1911. Second, I carry all of my HG's cocked, locked, and ready to rock. Safety on and in a good holster. Sig includes a pretty good holster with the 238 and I use that at times. I had a holster made by Rhome Desbeins and it works absolutely perfect. Holds the 238 firmly, it does take some time to "break it in" but it is superb. Many HG's produced now do not have hammers, or "swipe" type safetys. Instead they have safety type trigger mechanisims. I also carry these cocked, that is to say one in the pipe and ready to fire when needed. I seem to remember, it has been years ago now, the Army had us carry cocked and locked, and I did carry a 1911 when I was in. Armor crewman so we all had a 1911, M16, and a 45 caliber "grease gun". Lots of toys to play with. To sum this mess up, get a good holster, practice with it, and carry your HG ready to go.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

Cocked and locked, decent holster, plus an 8 pound trigger pull .......not gonna go off unless you're playing pocket pool :-)

I do carry my P238 in the pocket occasionally, but prefer it IWB or OWB.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i didn't buy the mustang for the same reason i haven't bought the 238

i've yet to see a holster that allows for ( IMO) safe pocket carry.
    if it had a palm safety like the OMC-AMT 380 which i have, id buy it.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Sponsor
    I'll take 'cocked and locked with the safety on and in a quality pocket holster' for $400.
    That's Good!
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links