Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No - Page 2

Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No

This is a discussion on Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS I carry mine cocked and locked! Flick that safety on and off a few times and see how positive it feels...they ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No

  1. #16
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,360
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS View Post
    I carry mine cocked and locked! Flick that safety on and off a few times and see how positive it feels...they don't put hair safeties on 1911 platform guns!
    The P238 is not a "1911 platform gun" and I wish people would stop saying this, it's just not accurate.

    Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.


  2. #17
    Member Array HOTCHKIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The P238 is not a "1911 platform gun" and I wish people would stop saying this, it's just not accurate.

    Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.
    To me it's very similar because of it being cocked and locked minus a few extra safeties the 1911 have!

  3. #18
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,360
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS View Post
    To me it's very similar because of it being cocked and locked minus a few extra safeties the 1911 have!
    That's like saying a Sig P220 SAO is a 1911 platform gun because it's carried C&L, just because you think it's that way doesn't make it so.

    1911 platform guns = Government, Commander, Officers, "Micro" / Ultra etc. The P238 has zero (maybe the grip screws might be compatible) parts in common with the 1911 and uses a totally different trigger mechanism. While the idea of the P238 and it's predecessors may be "1911 inspired" it's in a whole other ball park all together.

  4. #19
    Member Array HOTCHKIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That's like saying a Sig P220 SAO is a 1911 platform gun because it's carried C&L, just because you think it's that way doesn't make it so.

    1911 platform guns = Government, Commander, Officers, "Micro" / Ultra etc. The P238 has zero (maybe the grip screws might be compatible) parts in common with the 1911 and uses a totally different trigger mechanism. While the idea of the P238 and it's predecessors may be "1911 inspired" it's in a whole other ball park all together.
    Would you say it looks like a small 1911?

  5. #20
    Member Array sixplus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    50
    P238: I pocket carry this puppy 24/7. I do not see the need for cocked and locked. I carry with a round in the chamber, un-cocked and safety on. I feel good and safe about this. I can draw this in about a second. Dropping the safety and hammer is automatic.

    For self defense, the best weapon is surprise. Being carefully concealed and surprising your foe is best. Must admit that things can happen fast. We are talking self defense here, so you are always reacting. If I were expecting a gun fight, I'd take my rifle.

    Things can happen in you pocket. I have been surprised to find my safety off. And even my magazine popped out. That is why I prefer double safe.

    Sometimes I wonder about my Sig P220, which is Double/Single. Would I take time to drop the hammer or just haul on the first-double trigger? Probably doesn't matter.
    Rocco969 likes this.

  6. #21
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,360
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS View Post
    Would you say it looks like a small 1911?
    At a quick glance, yes. But with a closer look one would see the absence of the plunger tube & grip safety, the incorrect contour of the back strap, and the inclusion of a random trigger pin...

    Again, 1911 inspired but not a "1911 platform" I blame the gun writers, they've been doing this (comparing "X" to the 1911) since the Mustang and it's predecessors were new.

    Once you get to the internals of the frame, there's hardly anything in common. The slide has some similarities as far as the extractor, firing pin, and firing pin stop are concerned, but the firing pin safety is of a different type as well as a couple of other differences.

    In short, a lot of things that make a 1911 a 1911 are absent in the 238, and just because it may look like a duck, doesn't mean it will swim or quack like one. Heck, I've seen people try to claim that a Hi Power was a 1911 just because it looked like one and had a cocked hammer and thumb safety.

  7. #22
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    I would carry it cocked and locked with one in the chamber.



    Quote Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS View Post
    To me it's very similar because of it being cocked and locked minus a few extra safeties the 1911 have!
    That you can carry it cocked and locked does not mean that it is a 1911.



    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That's like saying a Sig P220 SAO is a 1911 platform gun because it's carried C&L, just because you think it's that way doesn't make it so.

    1911 platform guns = Government, Commander, Officers, "Micro" / Ultra etc. The P238 has zero (maybe the grip screws might be compatible) parts in common with the 1911 and uses a totally different trigger mechanism. While the idea of the P238 and it's predecessors may be "1911 inspired" it's in a whole other ball park all together.
    I have a friend who says that my P220 SAO Compact is a 1911 because it is SAO and it can be carried cocked and locked . I do not even know how many times I have explained to him that he is wrong, but he continues calling it "1911"


    Quote Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS View Post
    Would you say it looks like a small 1911?
    I would not! Compare the P238 with a compact 1911 and you will see the differences.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  8. #23
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,470
    I'll take 'cocked and locked with the safety on and in a quality pocket holster' for $400.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  9. #24
    Member Array dbrow6272's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    47
    First, the P238 is not a "mini" 1911. Check a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry and you get close to a "mini" 1911. Second, I carry all of my HG's cocked, locked, and ready to rock. Safety on and in a good holster. Sig includes a pretty good holster with the 238 and I use that at times. I had a holster made by Rhome Desbeins and it works absolutely perfect. Holds the 238 firmly, it does take some time to "break it in" but it is superb. Many HG's produced now do not have hammers, or "swipe" type safetys. Instead they have safety type trigger mechanisims. I also carry these cocked, that is to say one in the pipe and ready to fire when needed. I seem to remember, it has been years ago now, the Army had us carry cocked and locked, and I did carry a 1911 when I was in. Armor crewman so we all had a 1911, M16, and a 45 caliber "grease gun". Lots of toys to play with. To sum this mess up, get a good holster, practice with it, and carry your HG ready to go.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

  10. #25
    Member Array sdcromer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    61
    Cocked and locked, decent holster, plus an 8 pound trigger pull .......not gonna go off unless you're playing pocket pool :-)

    I do carry my P238 in the pocket occasionally, but prefer it IWB or OWB.

  11. #26
    Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    1,975
    i didn't buy the mustang for the same reason i haven't bought the 238

    i've yet to see a holster that allows for ( IMO) safe pocket carry.
    if it had a palm safety like the OMC-AMT 380 which i have, id buy it.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

  12. #27
    Sponsor
    Array DRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Near Historic Williamsburg, Virginia
    Posts
    712
    I'll take 'cocked and locked with the safety on and in a quality pocket holster' for $400.
    That's Good!
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

    D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best ankle holster for sig p238
,
p238 ankle holster
,
p238 cocked and locked
,
p238 review
,
sig p238 ankle holster
,
sig p238 carry cocked and locked
,
sig p238 cocked and locked
,
sig p238 pocket carry
,
sig p238 pocket holster
,
sig p238 pocket holster review
,

sig p238 review

,
sig p238 reviews
Click on a term to search for related topics.