Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No

This is a discussion on Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, fellow defensive carry brothers and sisters, I need your help. I just bought a new Sig P238 and I intend to pocket carry it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No

Question Sig P238. Pocket carry cocked and locked-Yes or No

Ok, fellow defensive carry brothers and sisters, I need your help. I just bought a new Sig P238 and I intend to pocket carry it. I know there are smaller guns. I know there are other ways to carry it. My question is: If you had to pocket carry this particular firearm in a front pants pocket holster, would you carry it cocked and locked with safety on? Would you pocket carry it without a bullet in the chamber instead? Any advice is appreciated.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

2. Remove Ads

Carry the gun as it was designed...

Not many modern firearms were designed to be carried chamber empty. Let's try not to devolve this into a chambered vs unchambered discussion. It will draw out all the usual suspects and hurt feelings club cards will come out.

Carry the gun as it was designed...
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I always carry ready! I think the statistic is that the average gun fight is over in less than 3.6 seconds. You may not have time or may not have the extra hand to load one into the chamber. As long as the trigger is covered while in the holster and you have practiced on how to properly draw your weapon without compromising that trigger I would always carry loaded with one in the pipe. Always ready!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    Ok, fellow defensive carry brothers and sisters, I need your help. I just bought a new Sig P238 and I intend to pocket carry it. I know there are smaller guns. I know there are other ways to carry it. My question is: If you had to pocket carry this particular firearm in a front pants pocket holster, would you carry it cocked and locked with safety on? Would you pocket carry it without a bullet in the chamber instead? Any advice is appreciated.
    Here's a pretty decent review. The HG is, according to him, designed to be carried cocked and locked with a round in the chamber.

SIG P238 380 Semi-Automatic Pocket Pistol

HOWEVER, I'd be circumspect about carrying that way in a pants pocket, where exposed hammers and safeties can be snagged on the pants material.

Best way to decide is to use snap caps and then practice accessing the pistol in your home, after triple checking there are only snap caps, and see if it snags or has a malfunction. If the home test with SC is ok, then I would presume you can carry that way safely. Still, a pocket carry of a HG with exposed hammer is not ideal, IMO.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out. :)

I will suggest that if you are going to pocket carry that little puppy cocked and locked you make sure the safety is not going to get swept off easily. And carry in a pocket holster.
    Question Everything!

I wouldn't carry a 380 and I wouldn't carry anything cocked & locked.

VIP Member
    I would not carry a .380, I would not carry any pistol loosely in a pocket, and I would not PD carry without a cartridge in the chamber.

I carry mine in pocket holster....cocked and locked....safety on, of course....and that safety is not coming off inadvertently. It is a safety that must be deliberately thumbed down.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Yes, owned the gun. Safety is strong. Make sure you have a good holster that covers the safety.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    HOWEVER, I'd be circumspect about carrying that way in a pants pocket, where exposed hammers and safeties can be snagged on the pants material.
    Cocked and locked with the safety on, in a holster which precludes the safety from being accidentally removed. Just because it's small doesn't mean it doesn't need a holster!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I'm not sure have much the P238 copies the Colt Mustang, but they're pretty close to identical as far as I can tell. I carried the Mustang, cocked and locked, in a pocket holster for about 5 years as an off-duty BUG. For those same years I carried it cocked and locked in an ankle holster everyday as a 2nd BUG while on duty.

I think it will be fine, just get a good pocket holster.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I'm not sure have much the P238 copies the Colt Mustang, but they're pretty close to identical as far as I can tell. I carried the Mustang, cocked and locked, in a pocket holster for about 5 years as an off-duty BUG. For those same years I carried it cocked and locked in an ankle holster everyday as a 2nd BUG while on duty.

I think it will be fine, just get a good pocket holster.
    The 238 is nearly identical. C&L would be the only way I would carry it regardless of location, the thumb safety is very unobtrusive, so much in fact that I kind of wish the shelf was a little larger. It is very unlikely that it will snag on anything, when the hammer is cocked it rests in the mini-beavertail of the frame and the slide profile while a little more steep than that of a P3AT or similar, it's still not very likely to get caught up on anything.

I carry mine cocked and locked! Flick that safety on and off a few times and see how positive it feels...they don't put hair safeties on 1911 platform guns!

VIP Member
    As others have said cocked and locked in a good holster.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks to all who replied. I bought a blackhawk holster for it and decided to carry cocked and locked.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links