Kimber SOLO 9mm Any Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Kimber SOLO 9mm Any Thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; going to have to wait until future models come out to decide. So far 238 is FLAWLESS and wouldnt trade it for nothing...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kimber SOLO 9mm Any Thoughts?

going to have to wait until future models come out to decide. So far 238 is FLAWLESS and wouldnt trade it for nothing
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

2. Remove Ads

Too much bad mojo about this gun. Way too expensive to not be 100% reliable!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

It sucks because there isn't another 9mm this size that can stand next to the solo. I have to admit it's a sweet little 9mm. I guess it boils down to just waiting to see if something else in the future tops this

Well there is the Kahr pm9, which IMO is a better gun for me... it has been 100% reliable(with any ammo I choose), it has no external safety(it is a pocket gun there shouldn't be a safety), I have heard nothing but good about Kahr customer service, mine came with 2 mags, and with the night sight option it is still cheaper than the solo.... And for what it's worth u could buy almost 3 keltec pf9's for the price of the solo and my expirience with those was very positive aswell(yea they r a little snappy but they weigh 11oz, I wouldn't expect any less). I hope that kimber gets it figured ou because it is a slick little gun but they need to get the reliability issue worked out before is would even consider one!

And there is also the beretta nano coming in October which the reps are claiming "ultra reliability" we shall see

The nano just doesn't look like an appealing pistol it's too square and boxy. I prefer something that looks appealing like the p238 :) sexy little pistol and all metal design that still weighs in under 17 ounces. Feels great in the pocket too. For some reason I want a micro 9mm so kimber better get their act together

For a micro 9mm I would rather take the sig 290 over any kahr or kel tech.

I thought Sig came out or was coming out with a pocket 9
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I thought Sig came out or was coming out with a pocket 9
    They did - the P290.

What I'm seeing is a point of diminishing returns as manufacturers struggle to provide a tiny single-stack 9mm. What we have on the market seems to be about as good as it's going to get. It becomes a Ford/Chevy preference after that. The same rule of thumb applies to avoiding new releases, but they all seem to put a working model out there after about 2-3 years on the market.

I'm by no means a Kahr fan-boy, but the PM9 honestly meets the requirements of what I'd want for a single-stack pocket 9. Any smaller and it would be difficult to shoot accurately, no external safeties, extremely reliable, sturdy build, and a smooth DAO trigger. Given that I don't want an external safety, an SA trigger would not be a sane option. Happy, I am.

I wish the sig p238 would have been a 9mm

Kimber Solo

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    Attachment 53237

kimber solo 9mm
    I have anticipated the release of the Kimber Solo for some time now. I was able to handle one the other day and found it small enough to fit in coat or pants front pocket which is ideal for when one is not carrying a full size pistol. I did read a very interesting review of the solo on the internet where the slide showed damage in the form of shearing or peening on the slide where the barrel lugs lock in to place. The author was sending the Solo back to Kimber in order to determine the cause and repair. I hope this is only a rare occurrance and not a metalurgy failure. Has anyone else who owns a Solo had similar issues? I am interested because I was going to buy one for myself in the near future.

I have been told by many kimber owners that they have lately dropped quality in their firearms and they are not using quality steels for their parts as opposed to back in the day. I will stay away from kimber

VIP Member
    Although I'm a Kimber Master Dealer, I prefer a 9 in a Kahr PM9 or the Rohrbaugh R9s. The R9's trigger is superb for a double hammer strike capable DAO. The R9 stays on a gal jug out to 30 yds. A bit pricey, but it is what it is, the smallest 9 with the best trigger, except for JD's. And yes, I've had to make lemmonade from Dodge, Chey, and Ford.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

So i guess the majority of people are saying that the Kahr Pm9 is the way to go. How is the warranty with Kahr?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    So i guess the majority of people are saying that the Kahr Pm9 is the way to go. How is the warranty with Kahr?
    Customer Service

5 Year Limited.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links