Kimber SOLO 9mm Any Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Kimber SOLO 9mm Any Thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by defensive007 So i guess the majority of people are saying that the Kahr Pm9 is the way to go. How is the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kimber SOLO 9mm Any Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    So i guess the majority of people are saying that the Kahr Pm9 is the way to go. How is the warranty with Kahr?
    I have one of each, I really love my Kahr PM9, and carry one every day. The Solo is still being gradually broken in, I have several hundred rounds through it with no problems. It really is a beautiful gun.

2. Remove Ads

I shoot in at least two locations each week, sometimes three - advantage of being old retired guy. I have not yet met anyone with a Solo that has not had problems.
    High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by targetshootr View Post
    I shoot in at least two locations each week, sometimes three - advantage of being old retired guy. I have not yet met anyone with a Solo that has not had problems.
    thats the same response that i get from EVERYONE i ask. I will just stay away from it and get myself a Kahr PM9 heard lots of positive things about that piece
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

VIP Member
    So i guess the majority of people are saying that the Kahr Pm9 is the way to go. How is the warranty with Kahr?
    I like the Khar CM9 for the money over the PM9 any day of the week. You just don't give up hardly anything for the cost comparison. It's quickly became my favorite small carry.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The CM9 is a cheap PM9 you leave out the nicer engraving, better smoother slide stop lever and different polygonal rifling. Yes you save money but by what I hear when you look at the 2 side by side it's worth paying the little extra $ for the quality. ( just what I have heard correct me if I'm wrong).

VIP Member
    The CM9 is a cheap PM9 you leave out the nicer engraving, better smoother slide stop lever and different polygonal rifling. Yes you save money but by what I hear when you look at the 2 side by side it's worth paying the little extra $ for the quality. ( just what I have heard correct me if I'm wrong).
    Look into it and break it down.

Ask anyone who owns one or both, and ask if those extras are worth the price difference. About 99% will disagree with you. I am fortunate to be able to shoot whatever handgun I want, but I just can't justify this one.

1. Barrel- This firearm is meant to be used at close range. I can assure you that you are not skilled enough to tell a difference even out to 25 yards. The CM9 is very very accurate and if you are shooting tens of thousands of rounds through a pocket pistol then you need get another gun.
    2. Slide stop- if mine breaks I can by another this is a low dollar part
    3. Engraving- this thing is tucked in my pocket, who gives a rats ass.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Got a Solo in March. It went back for FTE issues. New barrel, new magazine. Problems continued. Then metal peening off the barrel and slide, plus the magazine fell apart. That was it. By then all I used was ammo off the approved Kimber list. In fact it was 147 American Eagle. Still had jams. My new EMP works fine.
    JD likes this.

The solo I have to admit for it's size it's the most beautiful gun 9mm I have held. Craftmanship is amazing but what are you going to do with a dud that shines :/

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Kimber recommends replacing the springs at 1000 rounds. If you fire 100 rounds per month that won't won't even get you to the one year mark. Or, you could treat it like changing the oil in your car.

I've heard that these are all problems associated with having a smaller, more concealable firearm. The small the gun, the more difficult it is to make it reliable.

I have to disagree there my sig 238 is as reliable as any gun will ever get, it's such a sweet shooter I have to say. Kimber just needs to figure out this issue because i really want this solo,

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Most posts read like a horror movie. I'd suggest what has already been recommended here: run the other way as fast as possible.

Unless you are looking for a very expensive paper weight.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Customer Service

5 Year Limited.
    I always like those '5 year' quotes, but I hate the 'limited' part...must be a lot of these * * * * in the guarantee. I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    You might want to wait for the Beretta Nano to at lest look at it. It should be out next month I believe.

Official overview of the Beretta Nano - YouTube

The nano is a very square boxy gun and to me appearance is the first thing I consider when purchasing a firearm. The 290 looks like a pitbull mean little pocket rocket and it functions smooth. When I held it I was amazed

thats the same response that i get from EVERYONE i ask. I will just stay away from it and get myself a Kahr PM9 heard lots of positive things about that piece

The Kahr PM9 is a nice piece, but it too has it share of problems. All of the *small* 9's have problems. God Bless

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links