Kimber SOLO 9mm Any Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Kimber SOLO 9mm Any Thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the nano looks an awful lot like a glock to me Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kimber SOLO 9mm Any Thoughts?

the nano looks an awful lot like a glock to me

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

2. Remove Ads

im not a kahr or glock fan therefor the nano is not on my list.
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

First day at Range with new Kimber Solo

Picked up my new Kimber Solo Monday, Sept. 26, 2011, and took it to the range today. After reading all the negative posts, I was holding
    my breath as I loaded the first mag into the gun. I took aim at the "X" and squeezed the trigger. The gun fired and the empty ejected. I
    continued to fire until the mag was empty, 6+1. The rounds were 124 grain Winchester JHP. I then loaded the mag with 147 grain Federal
    HB, same result. On the 3rd mag with the Federal HB, the last round stove piped. I continue to shoot the Federal HB until I had shot all
    fifty rounds, with no additional problems. I then loaded the mag with Federal 115 grain HI-Shock +P+, and fired 40 rounds without any
    trouble. I then went back to shooting the Federal 147 grain HB, another 50 rounds. I had one FTF in the last 50 rounds.

Rounds fired:
    100 Federal 147 grain HB
    40 Federal 115 HI-Shock +P+
    40 Winchester 124 grain JHP

Accuracy was outstanding at 10 yards, in fact the first round fired in the gun was dead center the "X" ring. I averaged 2 to 4 inch groups,
    for me that is pretty good standing with no rest. I am sure the gun is more accurate, it would just need a better shooter.

My only complaint I have is with the mags. They will hold 6 rounds, but putting that 6th round in is real tough, so to save my fingers, I
    would load 5 in the mag, plus one in the chamber.

I am completely pleased with this gun. Two problems out of 180 rounds is not bad for a new gun and both problems happened with the
    Federal 147 grain HB, not something I will be carrying in the gun anyway. Of course I will be shooting at least another couple of hundred
    rounds before it becomes my new CCW. I am now carrying a Sig. 238 - .380, which I also like very much.

I have read many reports of problems with this gun, but mine has been almost perfect. I followed all the directions in my owners
    manuel and on Kimbers website. I know if the slide locks back after each shot, you didn't get the slide catch back under the spring when
    you put the gun back together. Others have complained about FTF, FTE and the mag falling out after a couple of rounds. But I have
    no idea how they are shooting at the range, limp wristing, etc., which can cause FTF and FTE. They could also be hitting the mag release
    by accident. Who knows, but if they are having problems, I do know Kimber will fix the problem.

Bottom line it is your money, buy what you want.

I love to shoot this one...

But of these...

I carry this one...

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by DRosedale View Post
    Picked up my new Kimber Solo Monday, Sept. 26, 2011, and took it to the range today. After reading all the negative posts, I was holding
    my breath as I loaded the first mag into the gun. I took aim at the "X" and squeezed the trigger. The gun fired and the empty ejected. I
    continued to fire until the mag was empty, 6+1. The rounds were 124 grain Winchester JHP. I then loaded the mag with 147 grain Federal
    HB, same result. On the 3rd mag with the Federal HB, the last round stove piped. I continue to shoot the Federal HB until I had shot all
    fifty rounds, with no additional problems. I then loaded the mag with Federal 115 grain HI-Shock +P+, and fired 40 rounds without any
    trouble. I then went back to shooting the Federal 147 grain HB, another 50 rounds. I had one FTF in the last 50 rounds.

Rounds fired:
    100 Federal 147 grain HB
    40 Federal 115 HI-Shock +P+
    40 Winchester 124 grain JHP

Accuracy was outstanding at 10 yards, in fact the first round fired in the gun was dead center the "X" ring. I averaged 2 to 4 inch groups,
    for me that is pretty good standing with no rest. I am sure the gun is more accurate, it would just need a better shooter.

My only complaint I have is with the mags. They will hold 6 rounds, but putting that 6th round in is real tough, so to save my fingers, I
    would load 5 in the mag, plus one in the chamber.

I am completely pleased with this gun. Two problems out of 180 rounds is not bad for a new gun and both problems happened with the
    Federal 147 grain HB, not something I will be carrying in the gun anyway. Of course I will be shooting at least another couple of hundred
    rounds before it becomes my new CCW. I am now carrying a Sig. 238 - .380, which I also like very much.

I have read many reports of problems with this gun, but mine has been almost perfect. I followed all the directions in my owners
    manuel and on Kimbers website. I know if the slide locks back after each shot, you didn't get the slide catch back under the spring when
    you put the gun back together. Others have complained about FTF, FTE and the mag falling out after a couple of rounds. But I have
    no idea how they are shooting at the range, limp wristing, etc., which can cause FTF and FTE. They could also be hitting the mag release
    by accident. Who knows, but if they are having problems, I do know Kimber will fix the problem.

Bottom line it is your money, buy what you want.
    Well it sounds ike its ok i guess but the having to use the grain that the manufacturer tells you turns me off, i spoke to kimber and he said to only use 124gr and up.....That to me is a turn off because i want a firearm that i can feed WHATEVER i want and know it will go bang....like my Sig p238.:)

Federal makes a 105 gr. FMJ and Glaser makes a 80 gr. bullet, for the 9mm, everything else is 115gr and up. So if the gun will shoot 115gr. +P+, what more do
    you want. Most people I've talk to that carry the 9mm shoot 124gr and up anyway. I reload for 9mm and never load a round under 115gr., of course my reloads
    are never carried for defensive purposes. I just don't see the big deal about using 124gr. or higher bullets. I want the heaviest bullet my gun will handle anyway.

GenerLly speaking all the cheap target ammo I buy is 115gr I don't want to have to spenD more money than I have to to be able to target practice. bottom line to me if the gun can't shoot whatever I put through it to me it's not worth buying. Anyway kimbers quality had degraded througout the last 10 years that I don't even consider any of their firearms anymore.

Defebsuve007, that's way they make Chev's and Ford's, so we have a choice. I will never buy a Ford or Dodge because of the trouble I personally had with
    these two auto makers vechicles. I now have 5 Kimbers including my new Solo and I have never had a problem with them and they have all been purchased in
    last 10 years. If you own Kimbers, including a Solo and have had problems, then I can understand why you would not consider a Kimber. What I don't
    understand is why some folks read a bad post and suddenly become experts on that gun. I wonder if these folks even own the gun or are just stirring the
    pot to see what happens.

I shot my Solo again today. I shot 100 rounds of 115gr. lead round nose bullets that I reload. These loads are well below max. I have shot them in my Glock
    19, with a Wolf Barrel, Springfield XDM 9, M&P 9, and Kel Tec PF9. I wanted to see if the Solo would handle them, it did, in fact it handle them without one
    failure. Maybe I got a good gun or just maybe some of these negative posts are coming from folks that just like to stir the pot to see what happens, either
    way, I like my Solo and my other 4 Kimbers.

So if you have personally had a bad experience with the Solo and other Kimbers then, I respect you opinion and I would suggest you send the guns back to
    Kimber for repair, if not, well I guess you fall into the pot stirring group.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links