How do you guys pick your next gun purchase? - Page 2

How do you guys pick your next gun purchase?

This is a discussion on How do you guys pick your next gun purchase? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off if you are a Glock man...you need a 17 and 19. They are just sweet shooters, then a Sub 2000, that takes Glock ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do you guys pick your next gun purchase?

First off if you are a Glock man...you need a 17 and 19. They are just sweet shooters, then a Sub 2000, that takes Glock mags of course becaue they are a great value and very versatile.

As far as me picking guns, I started with the basics too. Now I just go for the guns I have always thiguht were cool. I wanna good 1911, a hog leg big caliber revolver probably DA, probably Smith and Wesson. Then a cool 308, like a M1A. The list goes on and on.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    First off if you are a Glock man...you need a 17 and 19. They are just sweet shooters, then a Sub 2000, that takes Glock mags of course becaue they are a great value and very versatile.

As far as me picking guns, I started with the basics too. Now I just go for the guns I have always thiguht were cool. I wanna good 1911, a hog leg big caliber revolver probably DA, probably Smith and Wesson. Then a cool 308, like a M1A. The list goes on and on.
    Yes, I'm determinately feeling the need for a glock. ( I would consider myself a glock man). I've already got a 32 and I think I'd like to get the 17, I've concealed the XDm full size, so I'm not worried about concealing a G17. I think I may pick up the Sub 2000 this weekend and then wait for a good deal on a used Glock 17 gen 3.

-Clay

Distinguished Member
    Everybody needs a Glock 19.
    mwhartman likes this.

Well, I have all that basics covered. So now it is mostly just based off of want.

I usually have a mental tally of things I want to add to my collection, and when I buy something depends more on when I find a good deal on what I want, as opposed to what is at the top of the list. Currently the top of the list is probably a sporting appropriate semi-auto 12 gauge. But a couple of weeks back I found a S&W model 64, of the type I have wanted for a long time, at a really good price, so that got bumped up a few spots.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Well, it sounds like you have the initial impulse purchase’s down pat. Each time I get the fever I ask my self ‘Is this gun decisively different from what I already have, and will it add more to what I can do now?’ In most cases the answer is no. Conversely, I do need something for the range and something smaller for those vapor-weight days’ of summer.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Unless I'm derailed by some other unforeseen firearm arriving onto the horizon, a 1911 of some flavor that has a rampant colt on it's slide will be next.

My problem is that the needs have been well covered years ago. Now I have too many Colt, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, U.S. military, and British military tangents to try to address along with anything else that is intriguing.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I dont choose the guns, they choose me.

Sixto thats a good one!!
    Have to try that one on the wife.

TC

VIP Member
    I usually just let the kid behind the counter decide for me. He is, after all, the expert, right?

VIP Member
    I get what I want. I am beyond needing to fill roles with plastic guns. Now it's time for true shooters and pretty pieces.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

eb
    I just buy whatever catches my eye usually. I typically will at least do some reasearch and watch some youtube videos or something before I actually part with the money. There have been times of course that I've gone looking for a specific gun for a specific purpose, but not so much anymore as I have so many. I pulled an impulse buy on a 1938 Russian Mosin Nagant rifle yesterday, just couldn't pass it up at $129.

Reading all the responses here, I'm guessing you are absolutely no better off then when you first posted your question.

What you get, in what order you get it, is pretty much going to be something you're gonna have to bite the bullet on.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I get what I want. I am beyond needing to fill roles with plastic guns. Now it's time for true shooters and pretty pieces.
    Absolutely. Been there done that with plastic (have one left just in case).

All future purchases are based on 1911s I don't have already. Which is quite a few.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I usually ask myself what unmet need it fulfills. Right now all I have is an AR and a g17. The only thing I really want is a small gun for the few times a g17 is too big, and am debating going with a g19 with the grip cut down to g26 length or a walther PPS. After that a backup g17, and maybe a few relatively inexpensive accessories for my AR. My main focuses are purchasing ammo and training aids. I'll probably try and get 2k 9mm, 1k 5.56, some Sordins and a good timer before I even worry about a new gun.

There are a lot of guns that I think are aesthetically pleasing or just plain interesting, but don't even come close to being something I would carry. I'd love a nice 1911, but that'd be way too much $ for something that was for range use only. I can't see purchasing one even when I have a more open budget as I tend to evaluate prices in how many cases of 9mm I could buy for the same amount. 1911s worth owning are closing in on a year's worth of 9mm, so they're a no go.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

GLOCK!

I already have all the guns I need. But when I purchase a gun it is the gun that interest me and is a good deal.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links