How do you guys pick your next gun purchase?

This is a discussion on How do you guys pick your next gun purchase? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to pick my purchases guns on what I thought I needed to get the basics covered: Rifle (AR type), CC handgun, House handgun, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do you guys pick your next gun purchase?

Sponsor

How do you guys pick your next gun purchase?

I used to pick my purchases guns on what I thought I needed to get the basics covered: Rifle (AR type), CC handgun, House handgun, Shotgun, and longer range rifle (rem 700). at the beginning of my gun collection it was easy! I just filled the requirements! But now that I have them all filled (and a few extra :) ), I don't know which to buy first! I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure some of you can relate to this feeling.

Just so you know, I"m choosing between a Glock 17, Glock 19, CZ .22 bolt action, and a KelTec Sub 2000.

So my question, is how do you guys pick your next gun purchase? any particular strategy?

Thanks!
    Clay

2. Remove Ads

Ask lots of questions of other gun enthusiasts, lots of research, go to gun dealers and ask those on sites like this one.

When my cash account starts looking plump, it's time to go shopping. Just about all of my guns were right price at the right time for a nice piece. There really isn't a gun I wouldn't desire to own.

Jim

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    When my cash account starts looking plump, it's time to go shopping. Just about all of my guns were right price at the right time for a nice piece. There really isn't a gun I wouldn't desire to own.

Jim
    Yes, and thats my problem, I know I'll eventually get all of the guns I listed, but the real question is which one do I get first.

Two lines of thought for me:

1- which one is gonna be the most fun are
    2- put all your choices in a hat and let lady luck decide.

Impulse caused by cool pictures posted on internet forums.

I do want specifics like an M1A, and a Thompson, but others are just some form of AR, an AK, and some type of long range bolt action rifle.
    varob and gibbygoo like this.

VIP Member
    Over the years I have done the same thing. Most of my items were work related then branched out from there.

I have an additional problem in that I am not even home to shoot and enjoy the things I have purchased. One of my things I try to go by is which will I use first i.e. if the choice is between a hunting type rifle and a new handgun is hunting season coming up or is it over. Are there local matches to shoot in and so on.

I do have to watch myself and not just get something because it is cool. If I find a good deal on something I pick it up and then when I do get home it is like christmas and I find things that I forgot that I even purchased. It is embarrassing though when I go to my local gunshop and they have to remind me that I already have one of those or you just bought 1000 rounds of ammo when you were last home did you shoot it already?

There are times when I plan a purchase and research, call around and so on but from over here that can be difficult sometimes. Now if I could just justify or find a use for the .338 Lapua...................
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Well I have my "need gun" list filled. Saiga 7.63X39 for high rate of fire SHTF needs, Ruger M77 30.06 for long range work, Marlin 75c .22 rifle for small game, 2 12 gauge shotguns for wide pattern things, Ruger Mark II .22 for close in small game, and assorted 9mm, .40 and .45 handguns for carry. So anything I buy now is a "want to have". That list will never be filled!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    I dont choose the guns, they choose me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've made a lot of mistakes so now I more careful prior to buying. It depends on the use. For instance, for CC I now look for reliability first, concealability second, and caliber last. And from now on, I will stick with American made if possible.

When I walk into the gun shop, I quietly listen for the gun that is calling me out by name.
    I introduce myself and then ask if it would like to go home with me...none have refused.
    swiftyjuan and Erick46590 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I find myself in one of my favorite gun stores, and I have no idea how I got there. Then the red haze passes, and I am filling out the paperwork for one of the babies I have been fondling and drooling on. Happens frequently, and I hope there's no cure.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

JD
    Administrator
    I just kind of Forest Gump my way through gun shops, gun shows and forum B/S/T sections until I find something that puts that silly grin on my face.

I'm down to SD now, so when my EDC needs to be replaced, I'll purchase another one.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I still haven't covered all the bases. I also like to plink away too so .22s are so cheap and fun to use I have two right now. I'd like a revolver to round out the ones I have to complete my collection. Next spring will bring me a new firearm. Probably the shotgun I was going to buy this year until Wisconsin decided CC was to be reality. So now I'm waiting for my revolver to arrive. S&W needs to produce some of their firearm lines so my wait can end.

I need to get a shotgun for home defense. Another two rifles, a 25-06 or .223 for smaller game, and a .338 lapua for fun. Granted, the big lapua is a ways off, it's just on the list.

Then I get to meander through the guns and find the deals once I get my bases covered. I'm a gun nut through and through. I was born one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links