Bersa 45acp

This is a discussion on Bersa 45acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Bersa Thunder Plus(15 capacity mag) was flawless and I regret selling it. I'd like to hear more re. the 9mm. A LGS said they ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bersa 45acp

My Bersa Thunder Plus(15 capacity mag) was flawless and I regret selling it. I'd like to hear more re. the 9mm. A LGS said they stopped carrying due to "problems." SIXTO: you know the LGS I mean!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Were the FTFs on the first round while reloading (slingshot or slide release lever or riding the slide), follow up shots or last round of mag, etc?
    No, the FTFs were always just in the middle of the magazine, and happened on both. In nearly every case the tip of the bullet was lined up in the chamber, it just didn't make it all the way in. In my opinion, either the spring is too weak, or it just needs more rounds through it to break in a bit. I'm assuming the latter for now as I only put 150 rounds through it. I'll bring it back out next Wednesday and put another 150 through it. If its still happening on the last handful of mags as I approach the 300 mark, I'll be starting to wonder... this is the second Bersa I've bought, and the 380 was a complete disaster (FTF, FTE, light strikes etc). This 45 is really cool, so hopefully she smooths out. If not, it sort of goes without saying, thats the last Bersa.

Even my little Kahr MK9 that I was also breaking in had a couple of FTEs, but its at only 200 rounds now. I expect that one to smooth out most likely (that gun was double the money). I don't trust either of these to carry just yet. We'll see if they both make the cut.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    It very well could be the recoil spring, even though it is new. I actually replaced the RS on mine at one point, and I know it had less than 300 rounds through it at the time. I could literally fell the slide returning to battery after shell ejection, kind of like it was in slow motion. Swapped springs and it felt normal. Even then, though, it never caused me any feed issues.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    It very well could be the recoil spring, even though it is new. I actually replaced the RS on mine at one point, and I know it had less than 300 rounds through it at the time. I could literally fell the slide returning to battery after shell ejection, kind of like it was in slow motion. Swapped springs and it felt normal. Even then, though, it never caused me any feed issues.
    Yeah actually mine does what you are describing. I just thought because it was a big heavy 45 that it had a "manly" return to battery, lol. It has a noticeable slide return action that none of my other guns have. Maybe I'll just order a new spring for grins, can't be that much money...

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    it's a cheap fix..one of the cheapest for any handgun. If that doesn't help, you at the very least have a back-up RS and have eliminated one possible issue.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

eb
    Yep agreed, if nothing else its a back-up. Just ordered one from Bersa. $5 for the spring, $5 for shipping.

I've already decided if I can't get this one smoothed out for my 45 carry, I'm going to likely buy a Beretta PX4 Storm in 45. My 9mm Storm has been COMPLETELY flawless, and is my favorite gun. The only other thing I'd consider is an M&P 45c.
    Last edited by eb; September 22nd, 2011 at 03:26 PM.

Bersa-jam.jpg
    I had a FTF with my used Bersa 45 when I first got it. I discovered it was hanging up under the Ejector not allowing the slide to push the new round forward out of the magazine. As you said, just a little nudge forward on the slide would load it. I just took a fine file to the bottom corner of the ejector arm it until rounds slipped under it freely and everything is fine now. I heard someone say this is a common complaint with the older models.

eb
    Thanks for the pic! Next time a FTF happens, I'll take a closer look and see if this appears to be at least part of the problem...

I have both a Bersa Ultra Carry 9mm and Ultra Carry Pro 40. Great shooting guns little wide in the grip but have not had a lick of trouble with them. I make holsters for all the Bersa guns.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellB View Post
    Bersa-jam.jpg
    I had a FTF with my used Bersa 45 when I first got it. I discovered it was hanging up under the Ejector not allowing the slide to push the new round forward out of the magazine. As you said, just a little nudge forward on the slide would load it. I just took a fine file to the bottom corner of the ejector arm it until rounds slipped under it freely and everything is fine now. I heard someone say this is a common complaint with the older models.
    I went ahead and tried this, and took the gun to the range yesterday. The feeding problems are gone now, however it has 1 remaining problem that it was doing last time as well. The slide sometimes locks open in the middle of a magazine. All I have to do is hit the release and it keeps shooting fine. Definitely NOT a carry gun. This is the second Bersa I've bought, and the second one I've had issues with, therefore no more Bersas for me. I've had better luck with Taurus overall. I guess I'll probably just trade this one off. I think I'm going to just buy a fullsize PX4 Storm in 45acp for my winter carry. My other 2 are flawless, so at least I know that will have a high chance of working correctly...

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    I went ahead and tried this, and took the gun to the range yesterday. The feeding problems are gone now, however it has 1 remaining problem that it was doing last time as well. The slide sometimes locks open in the middle of a magazine. All I have to do is hit the release and it keeps shooting fine. Definitely NOT a carry gun. This is the second Bersa I've bought, and the second one I've had issues with, therefore no more Bersas for me. I've had better luck with Taurus overall. I guess I'll probably just trade this one off. I think I'm going to just buy a fullsize PX4 Storm in 45acp for my winter carry. My other 2 are flawless, so at least I know that will have a high chance of working correctly...
    Have someone else shoot it and see if the same problem re-occurs. You might be hitting the slide release up to lock the slide back under recoil. Just a thought.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

bersa .45

i also like the bersa thunder .45 uc. the only issue i have is the cost of magazines. there are no after market mags and the bersa mags are $$$....when you can even find them.

I had a bersa 40 UC, it was reliable.

It didnt fit me because it was a bit too thick for comfortable IWB CCW.

I also had problems with splotchiness on the slide and deep gouges that started in the rail.

Bersa did replace the pistol, but i sold the new replacement when it arrived
    (it took almost 4 months to replace)

Good gun for the money, but there are some great made in the USA choices like M&P that you should consider as well.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I used to have a UC45. It is a very reliable, easily concealable (yes, a little thick in the grip) pistol. My only gripe was that it tended to "bite" the web between my thumb and index finger.

It fit perfectly into every Glock 19 holster I ever tried.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

eb
    I see this thread has resurfaced, so just to post an update... I replaced the springs in mine with the new ones from Bersa, and the gun now runs just fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links