I managed to break my Glock 36

This is a discussion on I managed to break my Glock 36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I managed to break my Glock 36, I guess sometime this during this weekend. I had been shooting it some, and came home to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I managed to break my Glock 36

I managed to break my Glock 36

Well, I managed to break my Glock 36, I guess sometime this during this weekend.

I had been shooting it some, and came home to disassemble it for cleaning. Once I took the slide off the frame, and started removing the guide rod assembly, the thing flew into multiple pieces, across the room (Thankfully I am mindful of springs, and it wasn't pointed at my face or anything.) So, I thought "Hey, thats odd, it has never done that before!" And went to go pick up the pieces, so I could put it back together. I tried a couple of times to re-assemble the guide rod assembly, but couldn't get the "disk" part to stay in the guide rod while there was any spring pressure.

So I e-mailed Glock, letting them know the issue I am having, and they e-mailed me back, saying they were going to send me a new assembly, covered under warranty. As I was sitting here looking at the guide rod, I found the culprit, which is a crack, about 1/4" long, at the end of the guide rod, which goes all the way through the plastic. That certainly explains why the assembly won't stay together.

So, I guess Glocks really are capable of failing. But, honestly, this was a police trade in, and I don't know how many rounds were fired through it before I bought it. At least Glock honored their warranty, and are sending me the replacement parts for free, although I hate it when one of my firearms becomes an expensive rock for any amount of time.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Glock's are just another piece of machinery made by man. At least it's a simple fix. I've been telling myself to buy spare parts for my G30, along with my other firearms.

VIP Member
    Any machine requires maintenance. My suggestion to any one buying a used handgun with uncertain rounds through it is to replace all of the springs. Springs are cheap and then you know where you stand.

I have only seen one other one fail like that. It had " a couple thousand rounds" through it, according to the owner. He wasn't really sure how many.

Things happen. I'm glad it didn't happen sometime when you needed it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Administrator
    It's a positive that even though the guide rod cracked it was still not a firearm stopping catastrophic failure.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I always wondered about the plastic guide rod on my Glocks (when I had them) yet after thousands of rounds I never had a problem with the rod ( or anything else ) glad to hear Glock is making it right.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's a positive that even though the guide rod cracked it was still not a firearm stopping catastrophic failure.
    No, it only became a catastrophic failure when it was taken apart, because it was shooting fine this weekend, and now is impossible to get back together.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Yea that's great for glock cs to make it right without hesitation, I watched a Glock 17 torture test(I think it was 10000rds) on YouTube, and supposedly the guide rod melted and the gun kept shooting just fine.

Glock recommends replacing the recoil spring assembly between 3-5k rounds. At least she kept shooting. She would have kept shooting if the trigger spring broke too,
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Everything breaks. The good stuff is easily fixed. Glad to hear Glock is sending a new one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

"Perfection"

Well, a little over a week after I contacted Glock, my new guide rod assembly arrived, at no cost to me. Now I need to go run a bunch of rounds through it and make sure it functions properly.

I did notice some parts on the new one are metal, whereas on the old one, they were plastic.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

It's probably a good thing to replace springs, bushings, guide rods and other stressed parts when purchasing a used firearm. I don't buy a lot of used weapons, but I am also guilty of not following a replacement protocol as I probably should.

As QKShooter pointed out. At least it was a failure which did not render the gun inoperable until it was disassembled. Of all the failures to happen, that's probably the best kind to have.

I'm glad Glock took care of it expeditiously.

It's to be expected that a mechanical device isn't going to run forever without some sort of small parts breakage. No matter how good the design or quality of parts used in construction.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    How long does guide springs last? I know I Smith and Wesson replaced mine in my Sigma after 10K or so rounds although the gun was doing just fine with the old spring. Right now my Sigma has maybe 16-20K rounds. Should I replace it?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    How long does guide springs last? I know I Smith and Wesson replaced mine in my Sigma after 10K or so rounds although the gun was doing just fine with the old spring. Right now my Sigma has maybe 16-20K rounds. Should I replace it?
    You're probably alright, but I would just go ahead and do it since it is only a few bucks and as the spring wears out you could start seeing increased wear or malfunctions. On my compact and full-sized polymers I swap them out every 5k, 1911s 3k, and for pocket pistols I go with whatever the manufacturer reccomends as some of those need to replaced fairly often. I also swap out the firing pin/striker spring at the same time for peace of mind. It is probably excessive but for 7 or 8 bucks I see it as cheap insurance, a firearm's "oil change" if you will.

I keep spares on hand for the aforementioned springs as well as the other springs in my firearms. While I don't replace the others on a schedule, if they break I have a spare on hand so I don't have to wait for a shipment or a trip to the gun shop.

VIP Member
    I have never seen an issue with my plastic Glock guide rods. I do however prefer metal as other firearms have.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links