The weak link in XS dot sights

This is a discussion on The weak link in XS dot sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took a tactical gun class this weekend. They put us through some drills that I probably normally would not have done and it exposed a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The weak link in XS dot sights

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

The weak link in XS dot sights

Took a tactical gun class this weekend. They put us through some drills that I probably normally would not have done and it exposed a very weak link in my XS dots sight.

Here is what happened. In normal daylight, excellent. In very low light/dark, glow in the dark worked like a champ. HOWEVER, in the shadows where there was not enough light to expose the white line of the post and not enough darkness to emit a glow, I could not see the post at all and it was almost impossible to line up the post with the dot. Consequently, all my shots were way off. Not sure how I am going to handle this, but it did uncover a weakness that needs to be dealt with.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

But!,this goes for most night sights,they either wash-out and become post sights or they run together and you can't aquire your threat,We do alot of low-light training,I mean think about it when are you really ever in total darkness,and the best sights i've found are the Tru-Glo's TFOs,I had a pair on my G21 for three T.O.Ds,never had a problem with wash-out or shadowing,but thats my TCW.
    SHTFGearLLC and BadgerJ like this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    But!,this goes for most night sights,they either wash-out and become post sights or they run together and you can't aquire your threat,We do alot of low-light training,I mean think about it when are you really ever in total darkness,and the best sights i've found are the Tru-Glo's TFOs,I had a pair on my G21 for three T.O.Ds,never had a problem with wash-out or shadowing,but thats my TCW.
    I'm so glad I read this thread! somehow I've never heard of TruGlo TFO's, but I really really like that idea. I think I'll grab a set for my Glock 32.

-Clay
    The Most Advanced Hybrid Holsters- Custom Formed for over 200 guns! 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, Lifetime Warranty
    www.shtfgear.com

www.facebook.com/shtf.gear

Glock 42 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-GLOCK-42
    XDs 4.0 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-SPR-XDS-4

Two suggestions...

1) Take a very fine paintbrush and run a line of flourescent light green paint around the perimeter of the tritium post in the back sight...
    2) Work on point shooting. (One technique I use is bringing an unloaded weapon to bear on an item in my training room without using sights and then clicking on my laser. I tend to be pretty darn close to the objective.)

Night sights are a good tool, but after the first muzzle flash at night they become useless.

I stress #2 just because the moment you depend on technology, it will fail you... Have a backup weapon, a backup mag, and do not just rely on lasers or sights... I try to train with both hands, just right & just left. I try to train while standing, sitting, lying down, shooting through a car window, shooting across my body, odd angles....
    TSiWRX and BadgerJ like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Night sights are a good tool, but after the first muzzle flash at night they become useless.
    Also to add - once the tactical white-light has been employed, too.

Not that I don't like tritium night sights.
    Not that I don't like tactical white-light devices.

It's just that they're all tools in the toolbox. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I love my lasers, but if I depend on them they end up becoming a hindrance the moment the battery dies or the beam goes out of true.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Forget the rear.

Consentrate on the target and apply the golf ball of death, then press the trigger correctly.

Have you discussed this with XS? I bet they'd like to talk with you. I've had a set of XS 24/7 on one of my guns, and have never had that problem. The tritium glows all of the time and does not adjust itself to ambient light conditions. How long have you had them? Could it be time to get new tritium?
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Took a tactical gun class this weekend. They put us through some drills that I probably normally would not have done and it exposed a very weak link in my XS dots sight.

Here is what happened. In normal daylight, excellent. In very low light/dark, glow in the dark worked like a champ. HOWEVER, in the shadows where there was not enough light to expose the white line of the post and not enough darkness to emit a glow, I could not see the post at all and it was almost impossible to line up the post with the dot. Consequently, all my shots were way off. Not sure how I am going to handle this, but it did uncover a weakness that needs to be dealt with.
    Pretty interesting. Are the XS sights mounted to a pistol, revolver, or a long arm? Do you think a different weapon/sight plane would have made any difference ExactlyMyPoint?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    But!,this goes for most night sights,they either wash-out and become post sights or they run together and you can't aquire your threat
    I use mainly Trijicon and Meprolight night sights and have never had the sights run together, perhaps it could be a vision related problem.

Muzzle flash is actually very helpful when night shooting. Keeping your focus on your front sight or where you think it is. When the shot breaks the flash will illuminate and silhouette your front sight allowing you to align it on the target for the next shot. With a little practice it becomes very easy.

You can also use your flashlight to accomplish the same result. If the flashlight is held using most of the support hand methods, the beam will silhouette the front sight allowing for easy sight alignment.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I practice a lot of point shooting including from retention out to 7 yards pretty regular and arms extended out to 10 yards,In some situations you may have just enough time and room to draw rotate pistol up and fire from the waist to get a shot off quick.I have XS big dots on my Combat Commander for at least 9 months now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post

Muzzle flash is actually very helpful when night shooting. Keeping your focus on your front sight or where you think it is. When the shot breaks the flash will illuminate and silhouette your front sight allowing you to align it on the target for the next shot. With a little practice it becomes very easy.

You can also use your flashlight to accomplish the same result. If the flashlight is held using most of the support hand methods, the beam will silhouette the front sight allowing for easy sight alignment.
    At the risk of speaking for 357and40 :embarrassed:, we're not saying that the muzzle flash is somehow "bad," rather, that after the bright muzzle flash, the pistol's night-sights temporarily become useless due to the impact of the muzzle flash on your eyes' night-vision.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    At the risk of speaking for 357and40 :embarrassed:, we're not saying that the muzzle flash is somehow "bad," rather, that after the bright muzzle flash, the pistol's night-sights temporarily become useless due to the impact of the muzzle flash on your eyes' night-vision.

The point I was trying to make is that you can use different techniques to reduce the effects the muzzle flash has on your night vision and how to use the muzzle flash to your advantage, if it does. Sorry, if it came across wrong.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

^ Ah, NP - I often misread! That's why I put the smiley on the back!

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Forget the rear.

Consentrate on the target and apply the golf ball of death, then press the trigger correctly.
    I give the rear sight very little attention when shooting close, and pay it a little more attention with farther and tighter shots.

I like the XS Big Dots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links