Taurus .380 problems?

Taurus .380 problems?

This is a discussion on Taurus .380 problems? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend bought a new Taurus .380.....brought it home, cleaned it, loaded it and began his firing. It misfires on the third round each time. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taurus .380 problems?

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

Taurus .380 problems?

A friend bought a new Taurus .380.....brought it home, cleaned it, loaded it and began his firing. It misfires on the third round each time. He tried several different brands of ammo but did the same thing each time. Of course I'm not a gunsmith but that just don't make sense to me...third round each time? Any ideas....other than he should not have bought a Taurus .380? I've got two Ruger .380s and a KelTec .380....neither one has ever given me any problem with a number of rounds through them all.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

eb
    My wife and I both have a PT 738 TCP, and both guns have been completely reliable on any ammo we've fed them (I'd estimate 250-300 rounds through each). My wife carries hers pretty often because its nice and small for her to conceal. I occasionally pocket carry mine when I'm just running out for a quick errand down the street or walking the dog and too lazy to strap on the larger guns, etc. I prefer to walk around with a larger gun, however I do trust that TCP. Its just never failed...

Anyway, this seems typical of Taurus overall. They seem to either be perfect, or a disaster. I've had mostly good luck with them, but I did have one that wouldn't eat hollow points so I traded it off...

twc
    Philly Boy and pgrass101 like this.

check the magazine. some khars experience the same problem and it was the follower of the mags getting caught up with the magazine catch as it passes through the mag catch slot. if you have extra magazine try it.

How come they always use Taurus and problems in the same sentence? I'm just sayin'...

Double thumbs on the Rugers and KelTecs...
    pgrass101 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Has he tried it with another magazine ??? If the same problem happens with another magazine, then have him call Taurus and they should send him a FEDEX label for him to send it back. Honestly the small .380 and small 9mm guns have problems. It is my belief that the closer tolerances of a smaller gun causes the problems on some of them. The LCP, P3AT, P380, Bodyguard 380, etc. all have them. Go to each of their forums and you will see people complaining of problems. This is also my belief that is one reason why Glock will not come out with a single stack 9mm, etc. They know they too will have problems and do not want to run their reputation. God Bless

another vote for magazine check/change. If that doesn't do it, call Taurus and send it back. I have one of these as well as its big big brother the PT740 Slim in .40 cal. Both have been flawless after several hundred rounds each. I carry them regularly with no reservation.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

After watching that video,if I had one of those tauruses I would have to run a test to see if my gun has that problem,a lot of shooters develope muscle memory in their trigger fingers and once the trigger rest point is reached pull again for fast double taps etc.I'm with the guy 100% if that gun has a design flaw in the trigger reset I wouldn't bet my life on it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    A Taurus with problems? Say it ain't so!

I think this is why it will be a very long time before I buy another Taurus again and certainly not for defensive purposes.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    After watching that video,if I had one of those tauruses I would have to run a test to see if my gun has that problem,a lot of shooters develope muscle memory in their trigger fingers and once the trigger rest point is reached pull again for fast double taps etc.I'm with the guy 100% if that gun has a design flaw in the trigger reset I wouldn't bet my life on it
    Just did a test with my 738 per the problem reported in the video. Gun dry-fired fully every time...did not experience the problem described in the video. Perhaps that problem was addressed between the time of the video and the version of my gun. I trust my Tauruses (but I love and predominantly carry my Glocks).
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

eb
    I have not ever witnessed that problem with either of our TCPs (the trigger reset thing from the video), but we're headed to the range in a couple hours so I'll bring mine along and try it, and report back here. I think my wife was planning to bring hers too...

Sorry to hear about the problem.

Its the very worst when any firearm dosnt go bang on cue.

I have been there with Taurus before not fun

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    How come they always use Taurus and problems in the same sentence? I'm just sayin'...

Double thumbs on the Rugers and KelTecs...
    So true! A navy buddy of mine put three factory rounds through his Taurus .357 and the frame had already cracked (this was in 1991-92). Initially, he thought it was a piece of hair laying above the grip.

eb
    For the record, we brought both TCPs out today and neither one has the issue reported in that video. The trigger does indeed have a reset as you let it out, but if you pull it back again (only travelling about 3mm), it fires every time. Still have never had either one of ours fail-to-anything.

VIP Member
    What can you say about this? I am just tired of even commenting about "The Bull"
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links