The sequel to my long going Solo hassel with Kimber...the final chapter

This is a discussion on The sequel to my long going Solo hassel with Kimber...the final chapter within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many of you know by my many post concerning my Kimber Solo my back and forth with Kimber, but for those who do not and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The sequel to my long going Solo hassel with Kimber...the final chapter

Many of you know by my many post concerning my Kimber Solo my back and forth with Kimber, but for those who do not and would have an interest in their CS and their response to my many issues with the gun....below is my letter to them on the 3rd trip in for repair:

This is the third time I have sent this gun in because it will not function. Kimber Solo S1102156
    First time….FTF and mag release that could not be released with a full mag without extreme two hand pressure. After keeping the gun for about 6 weeks. Returned with mag released fixed, but failure to feed….both using 124gr and 147gr Remington golden saber and Federal Hyd-shok.
    Sent it back…for second time. Return with barrel replaced with no explanation as to why. The stuck mag release was back to where it was before. Had not repaired that. It also rubs the finish off the bottom of the dust cover on inside of gun but was told this was up to specs. Really? I have no other guns that do that. After two trips back to Kimber. At the range would not feed any of the above rounds.
    Bottom line…I bought a new high dollar gun that would not work and repaired twice and still will not function. Kimber has had the gun more than I have.
    Kimber says that, your goal is total customer satisfaction. I am totally dissatisfied and disgusted with, to me a useless product. I am requesting that you either refund my money paid for the gun or send me a new gun that will function reliability. This is a reasonable request not even considering my frustration and time and money spend on trying to get what I paid for to function. I bought the gun on Gunbroker when they first came out and paid the Manufactures suggest retail at $729. I do not have the original receipt.
    Please let me know what you intend to do to remedy this issue. Thanks.

End letter.

Kimber called today and told me they would be sending me a new Solo. Because it would be a different serial # they could not mail it directly to me, but would need to mail to one of their dealers in my area or to an FFL holder. I had my FFL guy email them his FFL to ship to him.

Now, the dilemma for me is this: and I would like your opinions.

Should I sell it or plan on keeping it? I can sell and not loose money, but I do like the gun if it will be 100%. But, if it's not, I don't want to go through the shipping back and forth again(on their dime, btw). What would you do?
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Ask yourself - "Will I ever really trust this gun?"

The answer will tell you what to do.

Me? I'd sell it, and use the money to buy a CM9, and a laser, and a holster, and some ammo.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    "Should I sell it or plan on keeping it? I can sell and not loose money, but I do like the gun if it will be 100%. But, if it's not, I don't want to go through the shipping back and forth again(on their dime, btw). What would you do?"

I got a Kahr PM9 through the NRA Instructor discount program for a lot less money than the Solo, and have been extremely pleased with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Many of you know by my many post concerning my Kimber Solo my back and forth with Kimber, but for those who do not and would have an interest in their CS and their response to my many issues with the gun....below is my letter to them on the 3rd trip in for repair:

This is the third time I have sent this gun in because it will not function. Kimber Solo S1102156
    First time….FTF and mag release that could not be released with a full mag without extreme two hand pressure. After keeping the gun for about 6 weeks. Returned with mag released fixed, but failure to feed….both using 124gr and 147gr Remington golden saber and Federal Hyd-shok.
    Sent it back…for second time. Return with barrel replaced with no explanation as to why. The stuck mag release was back to where it was before. Had not repaired that. It also rubs the finish off the bottom of the dust cover on inside of gun but was told this was up to specs. Really? I have no other guns that do that. After two trips back to Kimber. At the range would not feed any of the above rounds.
    Bottom line…I bought a new high dollar gun that would not work and repaired twice and still will not function. Kimber has had the gun more than I have.
    Kimber says that, your goal is total customer satisfaction. I am totally dissatisfied and disgusted with, to me a useless product. I am requesting that you either refund my money paid for the gun or send me a new gun that will function reliability. This is a reasonable request not even considering my frustration and time and money spend on trying to get what I paid for to function. I bought the gun on Gunbroker when they first came out and paid the Manufactures suggest retail at $729. I do not have the original receipt.
    Please let me know what you intend to do to remedy this issue. Thanks.

End letter.

Kimber called today and told me they would be sending me a new Solo. Because it would be a different serial # they could not mail it directly to me, but would need to mail to one of their dealers in my area or to an FFL holder. I had my FFL guy email them his FFL to ship to him.

Now, the dilemma for me is this: and I would like your opinions.

Should I sell it or plan on keeping it? I can sell and not loose money, but I do like the gun if it will be 100%. But, if it's not, I don't want to go through the shipping back and forth again(on their dime, btw). What would you do?
    Hi,

I am so sorry for the issues that you have dealt with. Frankly I would cut my ties and get out from under that Mimber asap. Maybe you can circle back around when they get the bugs worked out in a year or so. Its a cool looking rig, but it seems a touch buggy right now.

Good luck buddy!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Bail........ you need to trust your weapon.........

You have a chance to get out from under what is proven to be to most people who own them (reading the boards and talking to the LGS) to be a flop in MOST cases.........

Sell it as new........ get the heck out of dodge
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

It may take some time to gain your trust, but if the new one is reliable through a couple of hundred rounds, I would keep it.
    I could say something like sell it and buy two Keltec PF-9's, but having gone through your frustration many times myself, I know you don't need that right now. I say shoot the crap out of it and do your own little torture test.....if it passes, you got yourself a good gun.....if not ya' gotta put 'er down. I've had a few guns that went back for repair, and once they came back they have been 100% for hundreds of rounds.....good luck my friend. For a $729 pistol, you deserve a good one. Hope this round is better.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

JD
    Administrator
    I went down a similar road with my P238, however a majority of my issues were the fault of the Sig workers and the gun was more reliable than not, now had the replacement gun behaved the same as the original, I would have axed it.

give it a try. see how you like it....

you can make your decision thereafter....

Don't make a snap decision without experience.
    los likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

My thoughts are that Kimber is sending you a brand new gun to make you happy. Common sense says that somebody at Kimber probably checked this gun pretty thoroughly before they shipped it to make sure that it functioned properly. After all, only an idiot would send you another gun that doesn't work properly.

Sell it, if you wish...but if it were me, I'd try it out first.
    CaptSmith and JohnLeVick like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    My thoughts are that Kimber is sending you a brand new gun to make you happy. Common sense says that somebody at Kimber probably checked this gun pretty thoroughly before they shipped it to make sure that it functioned properly. After all, only an idiot would send you another gun that doesn't work properly.

Sell it, if you wish...but if it were me, I'd try it out first.
    You are giving Kimber far too much credit!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    You are giving Kimber far too much credit!
    Maybe so, but since I just bought a new Kimber, I'm a little biased. I'm sure you understand.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Sell it! Can you trust your life to it? Let's see...a gun that might work, might work! if this were a forum about electronics, or pretty much anything else maybe.

Sell it and start carrying your HK P7M8. When you have a Porsche in the garage, why drive a Yugo? Same goes for a gun that doesn't work and a gun that doesn't ever fail. Get something from Del Fatti to carry it in and you'll never look back.
    JD
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

Administrator
    Sell it, buy a new gun and a tattoo.

The tattoo should read
    "I will never be a guinea pig again".
    Justified, shooterX and joker1 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

No more kimbers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links