FN handguns

FN handguns

This is a discussion on FN handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently came across FN handguns on a gun auction site and thought it looked like a beautiful gun. I had never seen or heard ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By Nathanimal
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: FN handguns

FN handguns

I recently came across FN handguns on a gun auction site and thought it looked like a beautiful gun. I had never seen or heard about FN handguns, so I thought I would see what you all think about this gun. Pro's, con's, experiences???
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

Administrator
    They build a nice gun, the only real issue I have with them is that they are sort of an oddball gun. They are not all that popular, so holsters and such can be a problem.
    oneshot and TN_Mike like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

They are great full sized polymer framed handguns.

But, they are full sized and it is hard to find holsters for them.

I am looking at the FNP .45 as a bedside gun. It's hard to argue with 15rds of .45.
    NIS350ZTT likes this.

I have a FNX 9mm and carry it every day everywhere I go, except to work because I work in the Hospital on the University Campus (can't carry at hospital or campus).

Its a great weapon, grip texture is nice, a little on the aggressive side, I bought mine new and it came dirty which I expected. Being mine is a 9mm its 17+1 capacity and came with 3 mags. Never a FTF or FTE and I shoot the cheap ammo with the occasional HP.

I've heard of problems with the magazine staying in on the FNX series of handguns unless you slapped it up into the mag-well, well I've never had that problem, but just saying I've heard about it. Nice weapon it weighs around 22oz empty is all black and has white dot sights, it comes with adjustable back straps which is nice. I haven't had the need to change them and I have semi-small hands. Its ambidextrious safety and decocker is nice and has a good click to let you know its "on".

I carry mine at 3:30, and it rides nicely in a Supertuck Deluxe designed for the FNP series. Desantis also makes a OWB holster for the FNX series. It is full size and is a little hard to conceal but its not to bad with proper attire.
    I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
    myself for failing to be prepared.

JD
    Administrator
    Member MilitaryArms has posted some video reviews on some FN stuff. For the most part they are good guns, a co-worker has one that I've yet to shoot but appears well built and he likes it.

FN makes a really good pistol. They come with three high cap mags, and the pre-FX models can be found for a bargain price. I carry my FN 9mm in any holster designed for a Springfield XD....they work.
    Just be aware that the FN full size pistol is so light that it feels like a toy. Even holding 16+1 9mm, I have to check to make sure the gun has rounds.....light as a feather. Very accurate out to 15 yards, and have never had a malfunction. Its a service pistol size, but concealed carry light.

Remember that FN makes a bunch of our US Military firearms, so they know what they are doing....and they have made just a few Browning Hi-Powers.

this one is SAO, and can be carried cocked & locked.

NIS350ZTT likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My brother has one that I shoot pretty regularly. Any 1911 guy or someone who likes that type manual of arms will like it. I don't like the place where the safety is my hand as I try for a high grip. Night sights are limited. I think the FNP has a better less blocky grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold my FNP-45 fairly recently. The gun was pretty nice for the price. However, I did have a few issues with the gun.

I never really cared for the trigger. Not because it was DA/SA, but because it was fairly hard to pull and was somewhat spongy. The Beretta 92FS and CZ pistols don't suffer as much from this and I much prefer their trigger systems over the FNP.

Before I sold it, I had about 600 rounds through the gun. The first range trip went pretty well except for a few rounds jamming on the upper part of the chamber. I figured that it was because the gun was new and spring was tight. However, it seemed to get worse. I bought new magazines thinking that the current magazines were seating rounds at too high of an angle. Nope, still jamming... I called FN CS and asked them about it and they told me to ship the gun to them. They estimated that they would have the gun for a month or two. Since I never really cared for the gun in the first place, I decided to sell it. I never cared for the grip texture either. It would start hurting my hand after a few magazines.

I would still recommend FN pistols to a friend, only because most of my issues with the gun were personal gripes. The chamber probably just needed buffing or something.

I have both an FNX-9 and an FNP-45. The 9mm has about 3500 flawless rounds through it. I've used it for a number of classes and really like it. I bought it because as others have stated the ergonomics are very much like the 1911. I do have to say that the trigger is not as nice as that found on a quality 1911, but I'd have to say the same about any other non-1911 I've fired. I bought the FNP-45 because I was looking for a high cap .45 and I was impressed by the performance of my other FN. I only have about 500 rounds through it so far but so far I like it. Note that the 45 is a handful. It's pretty big and heavy with it's 15+1 capacity and I don't think I'd want to carry it every day, but for a home defense gun it fits the bill. All in all, I've been pretty impressed by the product FN is putting out.
    Last edited by ming; September 21st, 2011 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    They build a nice gun, the only real issue I have with them is that they are sort of an oddball gun. They are not all that popular, so holsters and such can be a problem.
    They are not popular in the US, but in europe they have quite a following...

FN Herstal has been around quite a while.... When colt put out the m/1903, FN Herstal and Husqvarna duplicated the design.
    The FNX is a great gun, but the grip is a meat-grinder. They really have the concept of recoil management in a light weapon down pat...

------
    edit:

I do not like their safeties since the one on the FNX becomes a decocker if you flip it all the way down... if i am carrying cocked & locked I really want to be able to single action the first shot...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    I carry my FN Five-Seven and love it. So very light you hardly know it's there. Carry in a CB Supertuck at 4:00. Very concealed.

VIP Member
    A buddy of mine just bought one .45 and had a few issues with it feeding. If you ask him what he thinks he will reply

"That FFFFNNNNNN gun is ******* me off"
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    FN stands for Fabrique Nationale. They are an old company and make among their firearms the Browning pistols, as well as many machine guns used by our military. They are primarily a Belgian company, but the FN pistols, and our military rifles and automatic weapons are made in the US.

I have an FNP-9, and it has been flawless from day one. I now have about 800 rounds through it, and mine is the USG model. I can carry it cocked and locked like a 1911, or I can use the decocker to let the hammer down, and carry it in Double action mode. The safety completely disconnects the trigger if you choose to use it. It is lightweight and thin, and has great ergonomics. When I bought it new, I paid $399 for it on a Gunbroker Auction. I consider it, along with my Sig SP2022 ($399 also) my best bargains in firearms.

FNP-9:

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Sponsored Links