Sig p238 barrel finish fixed

This is a discussion on Sig p238 barrel finish fixed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 238 came brand new with the black finish on the barrel looking wore out like it had been shot 1000 times. The finish was ...

My 238 came brand new with the black finish on the barrel looking wore out like it had been shot 1000 times. The finish was not solid it was patchy. I called sig and they stated they can redo the finish for $55.00 THEY ARE FREAKING CRAZY if im paying another dollar for this already expensive little piece. I went ahead and corrected the problem with fine grit sandpaper. I need to know what i can use now to kind of hide the light scratches from the sandpaper and help smooth it out and bring out a shine. Anyone know what i can use for this any help will be greaty appreciated. Below are the before and after pictures. ENJOY!!!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by defensive007; September 21st, 2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: add pic
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    My 238 came brand new with the black finish on the barrel looking wore out like it had been shot 1000 times. The finish was not solid it was patchy. I called sig and they stated they can redo the finish for $55.00 THEY ARE FREAKING CRAZY if im paying another dollar for this already expensive little piece. I went ahead and corrected the problem with fine grit sandpaper. I need to know what i can use now to kind of hide the light scratches from the sandpaper and help smooth it out and bring out a shine. Anyone know what i can use for this any help will be greaty appreciated. Below are the before and after pictures. ENJOY!!!
    If you have access to a buffing wheel that will solve your problems with the scratches. A dremal tool will work to, but will take longer. Use the white compound and youll be all set.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    You didn’t specify what grit you used but keep using progressively finer grit until you get to 1000 or 1200 grit, which will leave an almost polished finish. Then the buffing wheel and white polish will leave it looking like it has been chromed, just be sure to keep it lightly oiled to prevent corrosion.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

ok will get finer grit and see is i can get that white polish what exactly is it called?
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    ok will get finer grit and see is i can get that white polish what exactly is it called?
    The super fine grits I have found at Auto-Zone or Advance Auto in the auto refinish area, as far as the white polish I have found that at Lowes, sometimes the label just says white polish but I think it is titanium oxide or it may be listed as white rouge.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Are you trying to make this super shiney? That's the way you're heading if you start using wheels and polishing compound. You really onl need to work down to around 600 grit emery paper by hand to smooth out the finish while leavin it more of a satin finish.

Not sure what kind of coating they used to "blacken" their barrel's but I'm surprised they weren't willing t handle this under warranty. A bit disappointing for a SIG.
    Gideon

Mine came in looking like the finish was uneven as well but 3 minutes with a silicon rag took care of that.

Links