STI SHadow

STI SHadow

This is a discussion on STI SHadow within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read about the Shadow in a glowing article in last years Guns & Ammo Buyer's Guide. It basically said it was a compact for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: STI SHadow

STI SHadow

I read about the Shadow in a glowing article in last years Guns & Ammo Buyer's Guide. It basically said it was a compact for professionals who need the best concealable 9mm and cost was not and issue. I remember thinking $1400.00 was pretty steep for 3" 9mm. The idea of the Heinie Tritium sights lowered and inset into the slide was a great idea!

I actually got to hold one recently and all I can say is it is probably worth the cost. But of course I didn't get to shoot it. I need $1300.00 for that experience.

It got me to thinking about someone paying that much for their concealed compact? I am going to add a SR9c for this purpose. But if I had the extra $ I would be tempted. If you think about it. Your compact is probbaly the most important handgun in your stable? It has to be concealable and comfortable at the same time and will probably get the most carry time. And it has to function every time! Shouldn't it warrant the most expense? But yet guns like the 709 and the LC9 are some of the least expensive. Or a gun like the Solo that from what I am reading isn't worth what is priced at?

No right answer. I am just wondering what is your opinion on what this carry option is actually worth to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Guy View Post
    I am just wondering what is your opinion on what this carry option is actually worth to you?
    - Price isn't a concern to me when it comes to firearms. As long as it functions and feeds reliably, then I am comfortable carrying it.

My Glock 27 functions every time. Comfortable to carry everyday. Cost $500.00. Why pay more? $1400 for the Shadow? No way!

Average Joe wasnt real pleased with the Shadow.
    http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blo...ti-shadow.html
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

You can get an SR9C for $400-$475 depending on where you shop, and is probably one of the best values in a good concealment pistol on the market right now. Great trigger, nuts on accurate, very soft shooting, and actually kinda cool looking with the polished stainless slide. 10+1 with a 17 round full size SR9 mag as a backup is not a bad thing at all.
    If you can get past the huge loaded chamber indicator and the manual thumb safety, its a very good option.

I buy guns based on reliability, accuracy, and durability, and for particular niche CCW purposes. I have found plenty of
    pistols to fit those criteria without spending $1,500. Actually, if you spend over $500, you probably could have done it for less. I think spending a bunch for a pistol also gives some folks a false sense of security that because they spent so much money on a pistol, they will naturally prevail in a lethal encounter with little or no practice or training. I know several personally......that I can outshoot with one of my Bersas that cost me $320 NIB.

Price does not make you safer, or any better shooter.
    elmacgyver0 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

A review with nothing bad to say in a major gun magazine? That's something you don't see every day!

Taurahe likes this.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

VIP Member
    And, um...the review stated that the Shadow is a .45ACP, not a 9mm.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Price isn't a concern to me when it comes to firearms. As long as it functions and feeds reliably, then I am comfortable carrying it.

Unfortunetly some people do not agree with the above statement. Some people do not trust the less expensive brands of firearms, and think that in order to have a reliable firearm, one must spend X amount and above. I have met some people that think that at the range. God Bless

I didn't say you need to spend that much money. I was just curious what you feel is justified? I am getting the SR9c. But is fun to drive a Jag

The Shadow comes in both 9mm, 40. and 45. I have the magazine in front me and it was the 9mm model tested! Which also what I held.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Guy View Post
    I didn't say you need to spend that much money. I was just curious what you feel is justified? I am getting the SR9c. But is fun to drive a Jag

The Shadow comes in both 9mm, 40. and 45. I have the magazine in front me and it was the 9mm model tested! Which also what I held.
    Gotcha. Had never heard anything about them, and was just checking the linked review and a few quick searches. Up until recently, apparently, the "Rogue" was the micro 9mm. It appears that the Shadow has supplanted that, and is offered in other calibers.

Still think I'd go with the Springfield EMP if I wanted a very small, single action 9mm...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think I will eventually get a full size 9mm to go with the SR9c. One that I can use at the range and carry OWB outdoors. I have not found a glock that fits my hand or feels right. I want to stay with 9mm platform. I have a 357 for woods carry.

I like the XDM full size 9mm and M&P. I need to shoot both to see which I like better.

I have a friend bought an STI 9mm,didn't look for model,he had to send it back twice so far and theres still something else that needs worked on,first range session first magazine,fte after a couple rounds,I looked at it and noticed the end of the ejector was missing/had broken off on a gun I know he paid at least 1400 and maybe even 1600 for
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have the chance to buy a Shadow in 45 ACP for about 725.00 out the door. Comes with Papers/Case and Extra mag I know they hover around 1400.00 new, but I don't want a paperweight either. Never had a STI in all my history of owning handguns.
    How do they compare to a CDP, Agent, Les Baer etc.
    Thanks
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I have the chance to buy a Shadow in 45 ACP for about 725.00 out the door.
    IMO, $725 OTD is a heck of a price. If used, as with any used gun, I'd check the maintenance records and shooting logs. Know of any known issues before purchase, and know whether the manufacturer will assist with correction (if any).

I've had one 1911, and it was an STI Shadow .45ACP. 1911's aren't really my thing, so I ended up selling it. Initially, it had an incorrectly fit slide stop and extractor issues that affected feeding, but once that was corrected it was bulletproof.

Basically, it's an ultralight Officer's format. Very flat riding, particularly with the right grip panels. Being an aluminum frame, your options for having alterations done (ie, bobbing the bottom of the back strap) are limited. But otherwise, I'd say it's an excellent choice.

One thing I had wished for, on the Shadow, was a grittier front strap area. Was fine, but I prefer a very positive grip. YMMV.

Can't compare to various other similar platforms, as I've only had one 1911. But I looked for awhile and chose the Shadow over all others. Very likely, I'd do so again if I were to be "into" 1911's.

Recoil isn't that snappy, for as light in weight as it is. Snappier than a standard steel Commander, certainly, and more than I recall all-steel Officer's models being (back when). But not bad to the point of grossly affecting follow-up aim. The grip is fairly short (height-wise), so be sure you're comfortable with an abbreviated grip (as with the Kimber Ultra frames, for example). Can certainly add pinkie-extension floor plates to your magazines. Ran equally well with the STI mags, Wilson mags and (IIRC) a couple of McCormicks.

Particularly if you are comfortable dealing with any of the occasional tuning issues 1911's often have, then by all means consider the STI Shadow. A great conceal carry platform, I'd say.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I don't do the whole compact thing. A Glock 19/1911 Commander sized gun is as small as I feel comfortable with unless it is a second gun. That said, I have had a chance to play with a friends Shadow in 45. It is a nice gun- but I don't really trust small 1911's due to past experiences with them.

As far as STI as a company- I've heard good and bad things. I have an STI that is 100% reliable and as accurate as I am. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an STI to anyone looking for a 1911.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    "for what it's worth" ...........

There are a couple of guys in our shooting club who want everyone to know how much money they have to throw around. They buy guns like that one. These are also the guys who seem to have the most malfunctions while shooting. Most of the rest of us defend ourselves very well with our Glocks, etc.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links