Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S

This is a discussion on Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They also had it happen with Federal Champion- but apparently Arnie says that was only an issue with older ammo, and he talked to Federal ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    They also had it happen with Federal Champion- but apparently Arnie says that was only an issue with older ammo, and he talked to Federal about it.

Getting used to a new manual of arms (No loading from slide lock) might be a little tricky, but I see this gun as a backup that is unlikely to be reloaded in any event. Plus, it would be just like a manual safety... just takes a little more range time to get used to it.
    Hakkaa päälle!

2. Remove Ads

josh, do you work for Boberg? Just curious since I saw you're from MN.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The last factor was the warranty. Only 3 years for a pistol this expensive, and unproven, is just inexcusable.
    Amen to that.

I like the look and I want Boberg to succeed, but when a gun comes out with a very different structure than the norm, then I think it's worth it to wait it out and see how it does.
    rhinokrk and TN_Mike like this.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

Interesting design but I think with the issues mentioned concerning loading from slide lock back and what not, it seems a solutioni in search for a problem that created more problems.

I do not understand why some people have a problem witha gun with no slide lock ?? I too though it would be a problem with my Diamondback DB9, but I find I really do not need it. I believe the slide lock is a very nice feature to have especially when it holds open after the last round, however I do not think it is really needed in a Self Defense Weapon. On a Military or police weapon, yes I think it is needed, but on a self defense weapon where statistics show that most gun fights last less than 5 shots, my opinion again it is a nice feature. When the revolver people run out of ammo, unless they have been counting rounds, they get a click instead of a bang too. Again just my opinion. Thanks for reading. God Bless

I love my G27,and I don't have to load it BACKWARDS!
    Quote Originally Posted by josh2415 View Post
    List is $949 - spendy, but the quality is top notch. Here's a recent video review from another buyer:

Can you count your rounds under stress?,I have a very extensive Professional background,and don't know any of my team members who would try it either,it helps you understand "Do I need to reload,Do I need to Tap,Rack,Roll!"
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I do not understand why some people have a problem witha gun with no slide lock ?? I too though it would be a problem with my Diamondback DB9, but I find I really do not need it. I believe the slide lock is a very nice feature to have especially when it holds open after the last round, however I do not think it is really needed in a Self Defense Weapon. On a Military or police weapon, yes I think it is needed, but on a self defense weapon where statistics show that most gun fights last less than 5 shots, my opinion again it is a nice feature. When the revolver people run out of ammo, unless they have been counting rounds, they get a click instead of a bang too. Again just my opinion. Thanks for reading. God Bless
    joker1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Can you count your rounds under stress?,I have a very extensive Professional background,and don't know any of my team members who would try it either,it helps you understand "Do I need to reload,Do I need to Tap,Rack,Roll!"

No I do not think I would be able to count under stress. However what did they do when most people / police used revolvers ??? However lets not discuss this here as I do not want to post irrevalent junk on the OP thread. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    However lets not discuss this here as I do not want to post irrevalent junk on the OP thread. God Bless
    Thanks vbvaguy, I appreciate this. I think the thing to keep in mind is that this is a radical new design in an industry where general handgun design hasn't changed much in the last 100 years. With any design there are going to be strengths and weaknesses, but if you want to have reliable Glock 26 size power in a pocket pistol the size of a Ruger LCP, and one you can shoot all day long, the XR9s is the ONLY gun on the market offering this.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

That silver tip mentioned a few post back was mine. I did have that one problem with the bullet separating. I now have 814 rounds thru my Boberg and had that 1 problem. It has run 99.877% thus far. That seems pretty good to me! I don't carry a spare magazine for any of my other pocket guns and I don't plan to with this one so even if it did lock back after the last round it would not help me any.

I would like to add this, I own/have owned:
    Seecamp 32 & 380
    Keltec 32, 380 & 9mm
    Ruger lcp 380
    Rohrbaugh R9
    Micro DE 380
    Kahr 380, 9mm & 40
    and most other small pocket-able size 32's - 9mm's

I could shoot this Boberg 9mm POCKET PISTOL all day long (1000 rounds?) I would not even think about it with any of the other pocket pistols.

It's NOT the pistol for everybody but don't knock it till you try it!
    Philly Boy likes this.

Regarding the slide lock thing - no, it is not "necessary" and revolvers and some other pistols (such as my LCPs) do not have it. But, it is nice to have - and given the choice between a pistol that has this feature and one that does not, my preference would be for the one that does - UNLESS there was another over riding factor.

I also do not want to make too much of an issue of the bullet separation problem - I just thought it was interesting that a theoretical potential problem with this design that popped into my head actually happened in real use - even if only at a low level of probability.

I too want to see Boberg succeed. Arnie seems to have done his homework, and it is nice to have another option in this class of pistol. Some day, once the design is proven, and a laser is available, and the price comes down due to economies of scale...I might yet buy one. (ETA - IF they lengthen the warranty period!)
    Last edited by 10thmtn; September 22nd, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: comment on warranty
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Regarding the slide lock thing - no, it is not "necessary" and revolvers and some other pistols (such as my LCPs) do not have it. But, it is nice to have - and given the choice between a pistol that has this feature and one that does not, my preference would be for the one that does - UNLESS there was another over riding factor.
    Here is the over riding factor: If it locked back, you would have to drop the slide and re-rack it to get the gun ready to fire again. It takes both directions of the slide movement to load/reload. Remember, the rounds do not get pushed out of the magazine. They get pulled from the rear.

Like Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I can see a whole lot of other options for as much as 1/3 the cost of that gun,It might have a unique way to chamber a round,but that ain't gonna get my money
    That's what happened in the bicycling industry - with only steel and aluminum to work with, the only way for the manufacturers to get an edge on the other guy was to offer cool paint jobs and lots of accessories. Then came the carbon bike.....

We do plan on offering accessories as we get up and running, but at the moment we are busy debuting a revolutionary pistol!

No one named "Josh" works here.

Quote Originally Posted by GunKeen View Post
    josh, do you work for Boberg? Just curious since I saw you're from MN.
    Nope, I don't work for Boberg. I'm just an enthusiastic supporter who has been following his project closely from the start. The whole process amazes me, and it's been a privilege to be able to follow along as the XR9-S has evolved from concept to marketed product. My hat's off to Boberg, and I wish him and Boberg Arms tremendous success!

Too high a price !!
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links