Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S - Page 3

Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S

This is a discussion on Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just did a little research on this gun, and although the unique chambering method seemed like an unnecessary oddity at first glance, it truly does ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Just did a little research on this gun, and although the unique chambering method seemed like an unnecessary oddity at first glance, it truly does appear to make this gun as "efficient" a design as possible. To have such a small package deliver such a long barrel, as well as a nice sized grip is quite impressive, I do believe it would be a wonder to shoot.

Would someone be kind enough to quickly explain to me the workings of a rotating barrel? I understand they have been around for a while and are supposed to decrease recoil, but that's about all I have heard.

I wish this gun the best of success, the design looks very promising.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    Interesting concept, wonder if it will be available in 45ACP later on.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I know Arne Boberg, visited his plant and have a form for the gun so I can make holsters for it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by BretShooter View Post
    Here is the over riding factor: If it locked back, you would have to drop the slide and re-rack it to get the gun ready to fire again. It takes both directions of the slide movement to load/reload. Remember, the rounds do not get pushed out of the magazine. They get pulled from the rear.
    Understood. See post #9.

Welcome to the forum!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Understood. See post #9.

Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for the welcome!

Your contradicting statement I quoted in post #25, where you state you would prefer it have a lock open feature, barring an over riding reason, is why I posted. But it looks like you do see slide lock as un-desireable in this pistol, unlike any other design currently available.

Sorry for the confusion. In general, I prefer a pistol that locks open, but that's just not possible with this pull-back feed design.

Interesting thought - given that the XR9s gives you the barrel length of a G26 in something roughly the size/weight of a PM9, I would think that many buyers would be looking at this pistol as their primary carry, and not as a back-up. At some point down the road, maybe some kind of "empty chamber indicator" could be added, to let you know when you are dry. Sort of a "loaded chamber indicator"...in reverse?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    At some point down the road, maybe some kind of "empty chamber indicator" could be added, to let you know when you are dry. Sort of a "loaded chamber indicator"...in reverse?
    That would be a great addition. Especially if it popped up and blocked the view of the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by BretShooter View Post
    That would be a great addition. Especially if it popped up and blocked the view of the front sight.
    That's a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by josh2415 View Post
    ...if you want to have reliable Glock 26 size power in a pocket pistol the size of a Ruger LCP...
    Some pics comparing the XR9s with my Ruger LCP:

Nice to see gun design innovation that is something more than a rehash of what John Browning did (so well) a century ago.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

I really like the gun....just too darn much money for a gun, darn it!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    I really like the gun....just too darn much money for a gun, darn it!!!
    Just sell your Rohrbaugh ;)
    Last edited by josh2415; October 1st, 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Hi everyone...

I was doing some research and ran across your Forum... LOVE the discussion. Also love the fact that people seem to be respectful to one another. As I am sure you are all aware... not all Forums have this kind of culture.

I own a number of smaller CCW guns... I started with a Glock 26, thinking "WOW! This is GREAT... this will be perfect." It was great, until I ran into more-and-more situations where I needed pocket carry. So, I bought at Kel-tec 32ACP (380 wasn't out yet)... GREAT for pocket carry when I needed it, but serious reservations about 32ACP. Then, I got a S&W Scandium 357... great little gun, but realized I really prefer semi-auto for pocket carry. Next, came the Kahr PM9... Ahhh, what a gun! It is still my primary carry gun for pocket carry.

Now comes the problem... like ALL gun connoisseurs... there is ALWAYS another gun... a better gun... or just a different gun. Maybe, I just WANT another gun!

I any case, I am SERIOUSLY interested in the Boberg XR9S and am going to be looking for opportunities to fire one... and maybe pick one up as a result.

I know it is a relatively new design and maufacture. In my efforts to find the best choices for pocket carry... I have begun searching through kydex holsters for my PM9 and have found a few I like... they are lighter and seem to print less than most leather holsters. Does anyone know if a kydex holster is available for the XR9S?

Also, i remember reading that Boberg was considering a 3.1 inch (barrel) version... any word on that?

Thanks everyone.

QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    "Their main claim to fame is a longer barrel in a shorter pistol, due to the feed mechanism. More barrel length = more velocity imparted to the bullet."

Yes, but how much? 35 ft per second?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post
    Also, i remember reading that Boberg was considering a 3.1 inch (barrel) version... any word on that?
    No 3.1" barrel is in the works that I'm aware of. The "micro", if produced, will have the same size barrel as the Shorty, but a shorter grip. The future XR9-L (Long) will have a full size 4.2" barrel in a pistol the same size as a compact Glock 26.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links