Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S

This is a discussion on Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am on the pre-order list also. seems like more than a year and a half. neither lack of slidelock, laser or warranty bothers me ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i am on the pre-order list also. seems like more than a year and a half.
    neither lack of slidelock, laser or warranty bothers me
    price does

but by the time my place in the que is called, depends on the price then if i get it

Sent from my Think Pad using my Fingers
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Seems like the best of both worlds would be if the slide locked back on an empty mag then dropped when the mag dropped. This would not require any extra steps and would still tell you you have shot the gun dry. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post

Wow... GREAT IDEA! So when you empty a mag... the slide would lock back and then when you pressed the mag release (to replace the mag) it would ALSO serve as a slide release. After the full mag is inserted... you would rack the slide to chamber a round. I really like this... it seems more intuitive.

I am sorry but can you explain to me how this is ideal or intuitive? This absolutely adds an extra step is becoming ready to fire. The slide locks back, on nearly every automatic handgun made, after the last round is fired. This leads to insertion of magazine, drop slide, pull trigger.

On this gun, if the slide locked back on the last round, you then insert fresh magazine, slide returns to battery, then you have to rack the slide again to strip a round from magazine and let slide go forward again to chamber the round.

Slide to rear and then back into battery is two motions of the slide to become ready to fire.

This is a beautiful hand gun and a very interesting design but I do not find it particularly revolutionary and not at all a combat handgun.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Administrator
    I don't ever like to rush to judgment of any new and innovative self -defense or firearm related product.
    I have made that boo-boo in the past and it cost me dearly.
    NOT...a topic that I want to discuss publicly.
    American inventive ingenuity and creativity has brought us some truly great things.
    SO...I watched all of the VIDS on the Boberg website & it's a pretty doggone impressive piece of machinery.
    I can better appreciate the feed/function concept after viewing animated graphic more than a few times.
    Rapid fire was impressive also and field stripping is a breeze.

9mm is really not my "carry caliber" of preference so...I'll wish the man tons of success...lots of sales... and then wait for the .45 ACP version.

My one piece of advice to Mr. Boberg would be to make absolutely sure that there are enough extra magazines available for purchase.

Very interesting concept and a good looking gun, but as a member of the ever dwindling "middle class", I'll stick with my two Glocks for the price of one of Mr. Bobergs creations! I wish him well, but the price is too high for this retiree.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by josh2415 View Post
    Don't get tripped up by the 3yr warranty, Ruger doesn't even offer a written warranty, yet they fully stand by their products. Arne will totally stand by his products should any problems surface. There's some good warranty discussion on Boberg's forum.
    So, I've been obsessing over this thing ever since I got the preorder notice... and if my economic situation were better, I think I'd have already ordered.

In the meantime, josh2415, how about a range report?

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    So, I've been obsessing over this thing ever since I got the preorder notice... and if my economic situation were better, I think I'd have already ordered.

In the meantime, josh2415, how about a range report?
    DH, I have a low ser# which has signif sentimental value - she's probably not going to the range anytime soon. However, I've been to the range with a late prototype, and there's nothing that I can say that I haven't said already - she's pretty, she's small, she's reliable, she shoots straight, and she's comfortable to hold and to shoot - can't ask for much more in a pocket pistol. Is she a combat pistol? Dunno, but who in the heck among us is going into combat anytime soon? Boberg's put a lot of thought into this and, so far, the reports/reviews have been very positive. Supposedly, Harris will be publishing a review in one of their magazines, which should be hitting news stands soon. In the mean time, here's a interesting review from the SigForum: www.SigForum.com
    Last edited by josh2415; November 18th, 2011 at 01:27 AM.

Arne

Arne if your still reading this forum I hope you can get this guns price competitive with at least a PM9. I have been considering a PM9 or CM9 for months. This feeding idea has been around before in machine guns and I trust it still works great. Applying it to this type of platform is truely revolutionary. I think we will be seeing more of this design.

This doesnt look that difficult come on.

Boberg XR9-s :15 rounds in 8 Seconds - YouTube

Administrator
    Not that getting 15 rounds off in 8 Seconds was so incredible (in & of itself) but, the cartridge feed system is so unique that I was wondering if it was going to flub & FTF.

Quote Originally Posted by btk031 View Post
    This doesnt look that difficult come on.

Boberg XR9-s :15 rounds in 8 Seconds - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ... but, the cartridge feed system is so unique that I was wondering if it was going to flub & FTF.
    This is what everyone is going to wonder, until the design proves itself. I would think that if the design can work under the demands of a machine-gun, then it should hold up in a pistol. So far so good, but only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by josh2415 View Post
    This is what everyone is going to wonder, until the design proves itself. I would think that if the design can work under the demands of a machine-gun, then it should hold up in a pistol. So far so good, but only time will tell.
    Dunno about that. A machine gun is much larger, and can have much looser tolerances than a small pocket pistol.

As you say, time will tell. I would certainly wait at least a year before plunking ~ $1k on one of these. Of course, with the backorder and their low production wait, you'd be waiting that long anyway, in all probability.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Yes the 15 rounds wasn’t the point. The reload was a worry for some, didn’t seem to be a factor in the video.
    For what its worth one instructor I have had insisted we use our hand to rack the slide on reload.
    He said under stress the human body can at times lose its fine motor skills ability.
    Some might be unable to manipulate the slide release with a thumb or finger under stress.
    This gun work definitely replace my LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    On this gun, if the slide locked back on the last round, you then insert fresh magazine, slide returns to battery, then you have to rack the slide again to strip a round from magazine and let slide go forward again to chamber the round.

Slide to rear and then back into battery is two motions of the slide to become ready to fire.

This is a beautiful hand gun and a very interesting design but I do not find it particularly revolutionary and not at all a combat handgun.

Not exactly what was suggested..
    What was suggested was gun fired til empty ---> slide locks back (as per the norm) ---> empty mag is dropped ---> slde returns to battery ---> new mag inserted ---> slide racked ---> gun ready to fire

It's one additional step (the racking of the slide), just like with a kel-tec p32/p380, ruger lcp, rohrbaugh etc...It's also not designed, or intended to be a "combat handgun", it's intent is a small concealable personal defense weapon, that packs a longer barrel into a shorter overall package.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    Not exactly what was suggested..
    What was suggested was gun fired til empty ---> slide locks back (as per the norm) ---> empty mag is dropped ---> slde returns to battery ---> new mag inserted ---> slide racked ---> gun ready to fire

It's one additional step (the racking of the slide), just like with a kel-tec p32/p380, ruger lcp, rohrbaugh etc...It's also not designed, or intended to be a "combat handgun", it's intent is a small concealable personal defense weapon, that packs a longer barrel into a shorter overall package.
    Compared to similar guns, it's one additional step, but compared to the current Boberg operating system, it's one less step.

Plus, half the function of a last-shot hold-open is that it tells you that you're out of ammunition. Without that on a Boberg, you'd just hear "click... click... click..." until your brain processed that you're not shooting anymore.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Hey, it looks like the mags load just like the ones in that HK ad!

I think I'll also stick with my PM9 and G26 for pocket and larger pocket carry duty.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links