Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S

This is a discussion on Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a new Boberg XR9s from Boberg Arms (a new startup firearms mfg from Minnesota) last week. The pistol has been in development ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S

Just picked up a new Boberg XR9-S

Just picked up a new Boberg XR9s from Boberg Arms (a new startup firearms mfg from Minnesota) last week. The pistol has been in development for several years, and has just made it to market. For those of you unfamiliar with the pistol, it has a unique loading mechanism which PULLS the round out of the magazine, then pushes it straight into the chamber - this allows for a standard size barrel in a compact sized gun. Here are some pics of the XR9s alongside my Ruger SR9c - note that that the two pistols have approx the same size barrel.

More info: Boberg Arms

2. Remove Ads

How much? I would love to see a detailed range report.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    How much? I would love to see a detailed range report.
    List is $949 - spendy, but the quality is top notch. Here's a recent video review from another buyer:

Should be real easy to conceal! Good looking gun to. Kind of pricey though.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It's definitely been a long time coming. I wasn't sure it would ever come out. It's always great to have more competition on the market.

My only concern is that the back of the gun looks like it could be uncomfortable IWB. It sticks out farther than normal guns and could dig into your side. I also got a chuckle out of the picture of a loaded magazine. It looks like the rounds are in the wrong direction due to the way the rounds are extracted. :)

http://api.ning.com/files/EcVLXkEwN8...480&height=320

GM
    Congrats on the new pistol!

It is a very interesting semi-auto. It would be nice if you could write a range report after shooting a few hundred rounds.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I waited and waited for this to come out. Then, they raised the price. When I realized I could get a Kahr PM9 from Kahr via their Instructor sales program for less than half the price of the Boberg, I got the PM9. The Boberg has a longer barrel and an extra round, but the Kahr locks the slide open when empty and is a bit lighter in weight. And, as far as I know, there is no laser available (yet) for the Boberg.

The other factor is that I've learned the hard way (several times over) to never buy a new gun the first year it comes out. Arnie Boberg seems to have taken his time, to ensure this innovative design is "right" upon introduction...but...there is always the X factor when new products hit the market and get used in real-world conditions.

The last factor was the warranty. Only 3 years for a pistol this expensive, and unproven, is just inexcusable.

Good luck with it, but I decided to pass.
    tokerblue, TN_Mike and Philly Boy like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

appears the slide does not lock back after the last round? Hmmmm.

Looks like a very cool little pistol, but seriously, $949....ouch.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    It can't, given the pull-back feeding mechanism. You need to insert a mag, and then rack the slide to pull the round backwards out of the mag, and then feed it into the chamber.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post

Looks like a very cool little pistol, but seriously, $949....ouch.
    Boberg has to get this bird off the ground, so no wholesale prices just yet - prices are comparable with other high-quality all metal pistols, such as Rohrbaugh's R9 and Springfield's EMP, though.

Regarding the lock back, as 10thmtn said, this is a result of the design. Unlike conventional mechanisms, this slide needs to be in the forward position in order to grab the first round in a new magazine; so racking it both grabs a new round, then slides it into the chamber - it racks very easily. Gotta rethink things with this pistol.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Interesting design.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I waited and waited for this to come out. Then, they raised the price. When I realized I could get a Kahr PM9 from Kahr via their Instructor sales program for less than half the price of the Boberg, I got the PM9. The Boberg has a longer barrel and an extra round, but the Kahr locks the slide open when empty and is a bit lighter in weight. And, as far as I know, there is no laser available (yet) for the Boberg..
    - I actually didn't realize that the slide doesn't lock back. That's definitely disappointing.

VIP Member
    The grip looks like it's in the middle of the gun. Seems kind of weird, I guess I need to shoot one. I don't see this replacing my Khar any time soon.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I can see a whole lot of other options for as much as 1/3 the cost of that gun,It might have a unique way to chamber a round,but that ain't gonna get my money
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Their main claim to fame is a longer barrel in a shorter pistol, due to the feed mechanism. More barrel length = more velocity imparted to the bullet.

They do claim other advantages to their design - lower felt recoil (due to the rotating barrel design, like some Berettas), easier to rack slide (the recoil spring does not need to be as strong), easier to load mags (mag spring does not need to be so stiff due to the controlled feed), etc.

However - one concern in the back of my mind with this feed design has always been the possibility of a bullet unseating from the cartridge, as it gets violently pulled back out of the mag. I'm sure they have done a lot of testing, yet the very first reviewer on the Boberg website had it happen - albeit only once, and only with Silvertip ammo. Like I said - the X factor in real world use.
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links