S&W Bodyguard 380 takedown lever malfunction? Cannot get it out for the life of me.

S&W Bodyguard 380 takedown lever malfunction? Cannot get it out for the life of me.

This is a discussion on S&W Bodyguard 380 takedown lever malfunction? Cannot get it out for the life of me. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New gun, just under 100 rounds with no problems. Thought I would go through the dis-assembly/assembly of it this evening. I am following the manual ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By VBVAGUY
  • 1 Post By mj40p

Thread: S&W Bodyguard 380 takedown lever malfunction? Cannot get it out for the life of me.

New gun, just under 100 rounds with no problems. Thought I would go through the dis-assembly/assembly of it this evening. I am following the manual exactly. With the slide back and locked the takedown lever will turn MAYBE to between 4 and 5 o'clock position where it meets very very strong, but somewhat 'spongy' resistance. I am on the verge of tearing flesh to get it past the 5 o'clock mark and it appears it simply will not make it to the expected mark. I watched a YouTube video and the guy looks like he could have turned the lever down with a toothpick.

What is going on inside the gun that is causing this kind of resistance? It feels like I am fighting the recoil spring when I try to turn the takedown lever. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks for any help with this.

Mine was very hard to get out of too when I first got it. It gets easier to get out after awhile. I actually used a small plastic straight edge so that it will not mar the finish, that will fit underneath to help pop it up. I hope this helps. God Bless
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    Definitely not normal. Give S&W Customer Service a call in the morning. They do a really good job of taking care of their customers.

There is nothing wrong with your gun. The lever needs rotated to 9 o'clock position to remove it. Also reinstall it at 9 and rotate it back to 3 to reinstall easilly. The manual is incorrect. The early models had problems with the takedown lever coming out under recoil and S&W redesigned it but did not update the manual. I know it feels like it won't rotate any farther but it will.
    helderberg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mj40p View Post
    There is nothing wrong with your gun. The lever needs rotated to 9 o'clock position to remove it. Also reinstall it at 9 and rotate it back to 3 to reinstall easilly. The manual is incorrect. The early models had problems with the takedown lever coming out under recoil and S&W redesigned it but did not update the manual. I know it feels like it won't rotate any farther but it will.
    Thanks for that update. I was aware of the original issue with the lever working its way out when the gun was in use. I did not know that they had not updated the manual. Looks like I will be needing a tool to get that sucker to twist far enough.

Thumbs up S&W Bodyguard 380 takedown lever hard to remove (on new models)

My dad just got one of the Bodyguard 380's new (build date was around 4/2012). Thanks for the post above. We were fixing to call S&W. I rotated the takedown lever to about 5 o'clock and then put a medium nylon guitar pick under the lever just enough to wedge it up and out a little on the way to the 6 o'clock. After this it was easy rolling over to the 9 o'clock position and pulling it out. The guitar pick would definitely not scratch the gun. Easy and small enough to keep in the case also. Could also use a 3M nylon Spudger. Try to keep the barrel pulled forward on reassembly and aligning the takedown switch through the hole. My first time it was to far back and the barrel looked submerged.

On another note the manual states that you should adjust the laser above the front sight when aiming but it would not go that high. It would align with it and you can see it glowing in behind the front sight but not laying above it. Due to the manual saying not to turn it more than a full turn or it will damage the laser we stopped there. Calling S&W about that.

-JT

Links