Concealability - M&P vs. M&P compact

This is a discussion on Concealability - M&P vs. M&P compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Although I have been a shooter for the past sixty years, I've only recently joined the ranks of concealed carry. Easier said than done! Yes, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Concealability - M&P vs. M&P compact

Although I have been a shooter for the past sixty years, I've only recently joined the ranks of concealed carry. Easier said than done! Yes, I carry - but I'm having problems. I have a very bony pelvis that interferes. I already have explored shoulder holsters - and I may always have one available - but I really must find a decent concealment belt holster.

That said, I am wondering - All other things being equal [this is a theoretical hypothesis], does the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 compact conceal better than the M&P full size? Obviously, it must to some degree, but - really, how MUCH better? I'll trade this full size for a compact if it makes that much difference.

I'm asking people who actually have been familiar with both.

What's your take?

VIP Member
    Here is the best best IWB holster I have found, High Performance Concealment Systems for the Professional which comes in the makes you asked about. I'm not sure about your bony pelvis reference, but this one hooks itself perfectly on my front pelvic bone when I wear it in the 3:00/9:00 positions. Not what he had in mind when he designed it, but it works for me. On a Wilderness Instructor belt, it is the best rig I have found. With a significant height difference, there is bound to be some variation between the full size and compact concealability.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oboe View Post
    Although I have been a shooter for the past sixty years, I've only recently joined the ranks of concealed carry. Easier said than done! Yes, I carry - but I'm having problems. I have a very bony pelvis that interferes. I already have explored shoulder holsters - and I may always have one available - but I really must find a decent concealment belt holster.

That said, I am wondering - All other things being equal [this is a theoretical hypothesis], does the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 compact conceal better than the M&P full size? Obviously, it must to some degree, but - really, how MUCH better? I'll trade this full size for a compact if it makes that much difference.

I'm asking people who actually have been familiar with both.

What's your take?
    Hi,

I have both and indeed the M&Pc is quite a bit smaller. The only thing that is negligible is the width of the gun. Every other dimension is quite a bit smaller on the compact models. This is my .2 cents and your mileage my vary.

P.S.

I carry either the M&P9c or a Khar CM9 everyday. The M&P is for when I go to Tacoma or any other "High Capacity" town! Both have been flawless and have exceeded all my expectations. I have to say that the Khar is really easy for a grab and go scenario.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I'm sure it will conceal a Tad bit better. I carry a full size. 45 m&p every day in a crossbreed supertuck and it conceals very nicely. I am a bigger Guy in my defense at 6'1 and 250 solid so..... no boney hips here. LOL.

I hear ya on the boney hip situation...5' 11" 145lbs...I found that wearing at 4 o'clock as opposed to 3 helped a lot, it helps the longer grip of the full size M&P wrap around you and hug your back instead of sticking out...Also when you wear at 4 or 430ish even, the forward cant helps A TON in conceal ability. I haven't been able to wear my M&P out and about yet because Wisconsin laws haven't taken effect yet but I wear it around my house regularly and my parents have yet to notice so it must not be very obvious at all or they would have called me out on it. I have the full size .40 M&P (same exact frame as the 9). That being said I will be purchasing a compact version shortly just for the times where I want to wear a little bit tighter stuff or have to look decent.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Full size for Duty or Competition. Compact for carry.

I have a full size 45 and a full size 9mm. The barrel on my 45 is longer by half an inch and the grip is about the same. The Compact in 9mm is not a lot shorter as I laid the two on top of each other and did not feel the difference in grip length was worth the feel in my hand. The best thing you can do is take your gun to a gun shop and compare. You might see a big difference for you that in my hand was not a big deal. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
    Be safe, Frank.

+1.

[QUOTE=clarkston_cz;2035196]Full size for Duty or Competition. Compact for carry.

I just picked up my m&p9c last week (and promptly dropped in the Apex DCAEK and RAM in it to match my full size m&p) for something I could conceal with a bit tighter shirts. Not being a big guy, it is amazing how muchdifference that 3/4" - 1" on the grip length makes when it comes to concealability. My full size will be relegated to my IDPA competition pistol although I might pack it in the winter months with larger clothes...

I have been instructed by higher ups that if you keep mentioning bony hips ,your Man card will be suspended..

On the pistols> Ihave the 40c and 9c as well as full size 9 , 357 and 40. the compact I can carry under a polo shirt fairly easy with out printing.The full size weapons require a larger button shirt to hide.
    If you can only have one the compact is the way to go. but who wants only one???
    helderberg likes this.

It really depends on your body type. My EDC is a 9c in a CBST @ 4:00. I'm 5'9 170lbs, broad shoulders and a 30" waist. Wearing a size L polo or T shirt the gun disappears. My Range buddy has a full size 9, and when put in MY holster, the difference is minute, there is a difference, but very slight. It has me wanting a 45 full size to add to my collection

I conceal a full size M&P 9 using a Galco King Tuk and have no problems at all. I am not quite as boney (is that a word?) but the King Tuk, or similar holster, allows me to ride the gun high so it doesn't sit on my pelvis, yet it still locks the gun in the holster and allows me to snug it up to my side. I don't wear tight shirts, but I don't have to go over-baggy either. I tried a couple of the standard clip on IWB holsters, but they just sat too low for me.

I have a 40c... You can use full size mags in it but the inverse does not hold true for the full size.

I prefer the grip with the pinky rest like Clarkston posted. With the full size mags it just does not feel right to me.

As for concealing, a smaller hand grip is naturally easier to conceal, but not stupendously easier. It really is about your choice of holster, belt and what garments you have to be able to hide them in...

I dress business casual & have to tuck in my shirt. I can readily conceal an M&Pc in a Minotaur M-TAC or a Milt Sparks VM2. Put the full size mag in & it does tend to print it I have to lean forward or twist to the left. (I carry on right hip about 3:30 - 4 o'clock.)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I don't have the full size M&P, but the glock 22 and the M&P compact. The Glock 22 is very similar in size to the fullsize M&P. The difference between the two is night and day. Especially if you use the flat base plate for carry.

I've carried both. If you are going to use the mag with the pinky extender on the compact, then the length between it and the standard M&P are negligible. (see pics) But if you use the flush fit mag in the compact, there is a very big difference IMO. I only use the pinky mag at the range (the M&P9c is so tame with recoil, it isn't needed) and so I find I get the full benefit of the compact. Also, if you carry OWB the shorter barrel of the 9c is less of a factor if you wear jackets or pullovers like me. Longer gun barrels tend to "peek" from under my cover garment.

537121457_MPgrips1.jpg

537121458_MPgrips2.jpg

VIP Member
    We have 4 M&P's in the family.
    My brother, myself, and his sons girlfriend have 9c's.
    Nephew has a FS.40.
    The compacts are just about as accurate as a FS, according to reports from various tests[gunblast] I believe as well as others.

As has been stated, you can use the full size mags in the compacts with or w/o the mag sleeve adapter.
    This is what I do as well.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links