Need help deciding between M&P9, Glock 19, and XD/XDM 9mm (Or any other suggestions)

This is a discussion on Need help deciding between M&P9, Glock 19, and XD/XDM 9mm (Or any other suggestions) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my predicament... I've got a S&W revolver on consignment at a local gun shop and I'm going to be getting around $465 out of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Need help deciding between M&P9, Glock 19, and XD/XDM 9mm (Or any other suggestions)

Need help deciding between M&P9, Glock 19, and XD/XDM 9mm (Or any other suggestions)

Here's my predicament...

I've got a S&W revolver on consignment at a local gun shop and I'm going to be getting around $465 out of it. I'm wanting to spend no more than $600 total (tax and all) for my next gun. I'd like to stay with 9mm because of price per round. Now I'm having to try to make a decision.

It's mostly going to be used for home defense (I've got an LCP for everyday carry). However, I wouldn't be against having the option to carry it if I wanted to, so I don't necessarily want other suggestions to be so big that it's "uncarryable." I've read and read tons of forums, but it really has only made it harder to make a decision.

I've shot a Glock 19 3rd Gen and I loved it. I loved the grip and feel of the gun. I don't really like that the gun doesn't have a safety mechanism on it.

I've shot a XDM in 40 S&W and I liked it, but I've never shot it in a 9mm. I like the safety mechanisms, especially the grip safety. One reason I'm putting this into such consideration is the 3 free mag promo going on right now with Springfield.

I've never shot a M&P9. I've only held it. I like the way the grip feels, but not as much as I do with the Glock 19 or XD/XDM.

Any ideas? Hopefully this made some sense and you guys can assist me in deciding. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Does your revolver have a safety? Glock 19 operates just like a revolver, and as long as you learn to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, you will be fine. I own a Glock 19, XD 9mm, and a full size M&P 9mm. Of the three, the Glock is the easiest to carry concealed. Glock 19 is the standard against which all other polymer pistols are ususally judged.
    You can't go wrong with it for either home defense, or concealed carry.
    I've been carry a Glock 19 as my primary weapon for years.....don't see that changing any time soon. Good luck.
    joker1 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Does your revolver have a safety? Glock 19 operates just like a revolver, and as long as you learn to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, you will be fine. I own a Glock 19, XD 9mm, and a full size M&P 9mm. Of the three, the Glock is the easiest to carry concealed. Glock 19 is the standard against which all other polymer pistols are ususally judged.
    I've been carry a Glock 19 as my primary weapon for years.....don't see that changing any time soon. Good luck.
    The revolver I had did not have a safety. It was given to me by my dad and I've only shot it a few times. I'd rather have something of higher round capacity and a different caliber, that's mainly why I'm selling it.

I'm used to not having a safety anyways, since I usually carry my Ruger LCP. However, I do like the grip safety of the XD/XDM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Was......
    Porp and gottabkiddin like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    If you liked the feel and fit in your hand of the Glock, get it, and never look back. It is hands down one of the finest "fighting" handguns ever made, and is close to universally ideal for civilian carry as any one pistol can get. The only complaint is that it doesn't fit everyone's hands/has a different grip angle than whatever they "grew up with," and that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. Mags are cheap and plentiful. There are infinite makers and models of holsters and other support gear. You can't really do better than the G19 for your stated purposes, and you can certainly do a lot worse.
    joker1 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

i have shot all three guns. among the three i would pick the XD or the M&P over the glock. dont get me wrong im not a glock hater infact i still have my glock 23 and after firing at least 5,000 rounds it hasn't failed even once. like what OPFOR said the grip of the glock is not for everyone thats my only complaint. the XD and M&P shoots softer compared to the glock and the ergonomics of their grips just fits my hand.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I have tried an M&P9 a few times. In my experience, it shoots well. My nig complaint with it is reloading. The magazine has a sharp edge or lip on it that makes it much more difficult to load than others and every time I have tried it, I have come away with very soar thumbs. If you go with the M&P9, be sure to get extra mags and auto loader.

You gotta go with what feels the best "in your hands" and what you shoot the best.. I'm the opposite of yourself in that I prefer my M&P 9c over any of my Glocks. For me the trigger on the M&P outa the box is superior to the stock Glock trigger. I also like the two additional rounds that come with the M&P over my G26. Truthfully speaking though, you can't go wrong with any of the weapons you mentioned. However, I would suggest that if possible, you really should try to fire a few rounds through the M&P before making your decision, it could save you some coin in the long run. If I would've given the M&P a try earlier, I'd probably be down a Glock or two.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

You like the Glock, get the Glock...it would be my choice. The Glock-19 is the perfect 9mm...IMHO
    joker1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Its a preference issue. I have an M&P9c. Like it for carry, but find myself wanting a G19. Both are good, but I see different uses for them. One is a decent sized carry. The other will be nightstand and winter carry.

One complaint I have for the M&P9c is that I have to change my grip to load. Didn't notice it until I started planning to take a class and was taking inventory. This would probably be an issue for any compact, but I lack a full size 9mm since selling my 226. That is a hole that will be filled as soon as possible.

Given your needs you coud do fine with any of them, but I would say a full sized is better off. Why buy a a compact if it will only be carried once a month. I would go for increased capacity, barrel length, and grip comfort in a full size models. No pinkies out type issues.

I would go for the Glock 19. Cant go wrong with it. feels nice on my hand and never fails to go bang!
    joker1 likes this.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

If the Glock fits your hand so well then get it. It has a long track record of being reliable. It is very easy to conceal but will also fit your role of HD. Load her up w/ some GD's and you're good to go.
    joker1 likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I say if the Glock fits your hand go with it. Second choice would be the M&P!

Can't go wrong with the Glock. The XD/XDm series are nice, but not too great for concealed carry.

I had the same conundrum when purchasing my first handgun. Glock is definately the "Homecoming Queen" of the bunch. Meaning it may not be the prettiest, but it is definately the most popular. I don't know if it is just the simplicity and versatility of the design or if it simply the result of great mass marketing and product placement. Personally, I did not like the Glocks. To me, it just didn't balance right and I absolutely can't stand the standard Glock sites. The rear sight with the U outline just didn't match well with my eyes.

I went with the M&P 9mm and love it. It is smooth, crisp trigger, and has standard 3-dot sights. The other idea I liked about the M&P was you can readily find variable options in store inventory. I had a hard time finding Glocks with anything but standard set up. You could get night sights and such, but you had to buy them after market and install them. The M&P had otpional night sights, thumb safety, and grip options which allowed me to find the exact match for what I was looking for without going to the accesory counter.

Oh...and it was about $100 less than a new glock, which of course...didn't hurt.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links