HK Advice

HK Advice

This is a discussion on HK Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone I am currently using a Springfield XD Sub-compact and I like the gun but I have always loved the HK USPs. So I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK Advice

HK Advice

Hey everyone
    I am currently using a Springfield XD Sub-compact and I like the gun but I have always loved the HK USPs. So I was at the store looking at them today and fell even more in love with them. As far as over-all usage/reliability and so forth would the HK be better than a Springield? I am trying to justify buying the USP even though I already have a good weapon... thoughts? :P

-Thanks,
    Nick.

JD
    Administrator
    First, I'd check into either the P2000 or P30, you didn't specify caliber, if you're looking at .45s, the HK45 or Hk45C would be the way to go.

Is the HK better than a Springfield? I don't think they are "better" per say but they are nice guns, even if a little over priced (or maybe a lot over priced) but they shoot nice. The DA/SA triggers are kind of on the poor side, but their LEM is nice. I still prefer my single action way of operation but that's just me. Personally I think too many people fixate on "the trigger" when it comes to guns.

I think one area the HK wins out over the Springfield is the absence of the grip safety, while I like my XDM, I don't like that the grip safety prevents the slide from cycling.

Overall I'm happy with both my Springfield and HK, if you like them, get one.

RKM
    Springfield makes a good pistol. But IMO, HK's are better. How much better is to be determined. Some may think Springfield's are better. Depends on the shooter. I do agree the trigger on the USP could use work. Though, I'm referring to the DA trigger. The SA trigger I think it fantastic. Never felt an LEM trigger.

Well the XD is reliable and accurate do you shoot it well? You don't have to justify owning more than one pistol to anyone here.

AFAIK, all the mentioned HKs are very reliable. I think the highlights are:

1) P2000SK -- Full function in subcompact package.
    2) P30 -- Evolution of the non-.45 lines. Very ergo, nice.
    3) USP -- With "match" trigger, better trigger than other HKs (so I have heard).
    4) HK45 -- Alternate for the evolution of the HK handgun line, very addictive.

I think if they'd clean up the trigger on the P30 and P2000SK, there wouldn't really be any reason for the USP. *shrug*

FWIW, I carry a P2000SK, and am likely to pick up a P30 to fill the "full size" category. That said, after shooting the HK45 a bit, I find it a fairly addictive gun, and want one despite having no good reason for one. :-)

-john

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Going from the sub-compact to a full size pistol would be a bit of an adjustment. The USP is fairly large for concealed carry. The USP compact or the P2000sk may be models to consider. If you don't carry, then the USP is a terrific gun. Very reliable, soft shooting and accurate. Whether one is better than the other is a personal opinion. In comparing the two brands one can certainly say they are different. I'm a bit of a HK fan, mainly because I've yet to find anything about the various models that I don't like.

USP -- With "match" trigger, better trigger than other HKs (so I have heard).
    The USP is available with a match trigger , (standard in a few model, optional in others), and it is a terrific trigger, though it is fairly expensive to have it installed.

H&K = Mercedes
    Springfield = Chevy.

Both will get you where you want to go. Which would rather have?

Nothing against Springfields but I carry a H&K almost every day.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    As far as over-all usage/reliability and so forth would the HK be better than a Springield?
    As a owner of both a USP LEM Compact and a XD-45 LE Service model [where both are reliable], the edge I'd give to the H&K would be in terms of overall quality and in the role of a home defense gun or duty / open carry gun. My particular XD is a single stack and makes for a better choice for CCW.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    As a owner of both a USP LEM Compact and a XD-45 LE Service model [where both are reliable], the edge I'd give to the H&K would be in terms of overall quality and in the role of a home defense gun or duty / open carry gun. My particular XD is a single stack and makes for a better choice for CCW.

Springfield doesn't make a single stack XD...

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Springfield doesn't make a single stack XD...
    XD-45 LE in 45 GAP...the mags hold 9 rounds - slight stagger maybe, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    XD-45 LE in 45 GAP...the mags hold 9 rounds - slight stagger maybe, but not much.
    Your the first one I have ever heard of having one in 45 gap

I carry the H&K USP 40c as a duty pistol. It is very reliable and accurate. However, there are things to consider. They are way overpriced. The double action trigger is very heavy. The full-size is huge and even the compact requires a large hand to operate the mag release without having to alter your grip. From experience, if you drop a full mag, it will break the floorplate. Parts can be hard to find.

I don't see the H&K as a Mercedes. They are great but also over rated. There are pistols that shoot just as well for far less.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Your the first one I have ever heard of having one in 45 gap
    It's a terrific pistol and one of my fav's...45 fire power in a package no bigger than the 9mm.

For the OP, there are more updated guns available than the USPc's, but they are time tested, solid, ultra reliable pistols and you can't go wrong picking one up. Best bet is something LNIB with LEM for around 600. For purposes of CC, they can be carried OWB in some cases, but IWB is going to take a special kind of determination and body type to make it work. For any other role - duty, truck gun, home defense, range work, etc; it is an outstanding choice. They are soft shooters and very accurate. They are not over-rated, but they are over-priced as just about all guns are.
    Attached Images

I love my USP 40 C. The DA trigger can be a little on the heavy side but I don't find the trigger overly bad. The XD trigger is lighter but it has too much overtravel after it breaks. The XD trigger also has has too much travel after the reset. When you hear the click for the reset you have some distance you have to pull back to take up the extra slack.

As far as reliability they both (XD45C, HK USP40C) are. The HK in the first few hundred rounds a round would get hung up on the feed ramp while a round was chambering. A slap to the rear of the slide would send it home. After that it never did it again and only did it a few times. It may have been the feed ramp needing some polishing or a small burr on it and the fact that 40 rounds are blunt nosed. The XD has been reliable but because of where they put the slide release I hit it while shooting and will lock the slide back on a partially full mag. Of all the pistols I've shot the XD is the only pistol I have ever done that with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links