Defensive Carry banner

HK Advice

3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  KoB 
#1 ·
Hey everyone
I am currently using a Springfield XD Sub-compact and I like the gun but I have always loved the HK USPs. So I was at the store looking at them today and fell even more in love with them. As far as over-all usage/reliability and so forth would the HK be better than a Springield? I am trying to justify buying the USP even though I already have a good weapon... thoughts? :p

-Thanks,
Nick.

#2 ·
First, I'd check into either the P2000 or P30, you didn't specify caliber, if you're looking at .45s, the HK45 or Hk45C would be the way to go.

Is the HK better than a Springfield? I don't think they are "better" per say but they are nice guns, even if a little over priced (or maybe a lot over priced) but they shoot nice. The DA/SA triggers are kind of on the poor side, but their LEM is nice. I still prefer my single action way of operation but that's just me. Personally I think too many people fixate on "the trigger" when it comes to guns.

I think one area the HK wins out over the Springfield is the absence of the grip safety, while I like my XDM, I don't like that the grip safety prevents the slide from cycling.

Overall I'm happy with both my Springfield and HK, if you like them, get one.

#4 ·
Well the XD is reliable and accurate do you shoot it well? You don't have to justify owning more than one pistol to anyone here.

#5 ·
AFAIK, all the mentioned HKs are very reliable. I think the highlights are:

1) P2000SK -- Full function in subcompact package.
2) P30 -- Evolution of the non-.45 lines. Very ergo, nice.
3) USP -- With "match" trigger, better trigger than other HKs (so I have heard).
4) HK45 -- Alternate for the evolution of the HK handgun line, very addictive.

I think if they'd clean up the trigger on the P30 and P2000SK, there wouldn't really be any reason for the USP. *shrug*

FWIW, I carry a P2000SK, and am likely to pick up a P30 to fill the "full size" category. That said, after shooting the HK45 a bit, I find it a fairly addictive gun, and want one despite having no good reason for one. :)

-john

#6 ·
Going from the sub-compact to a full size pistol would be a bit of an adjustment. The USP is fairly large for concealed carry. The USP compact or the P2000sk may be models to consider. If you don't carry, then the USP is a terrific gun. Very reliable, soft shooting and accurate. Whether one is better than the other is a personal opinion. In comparing the two brands one can certainly say they are different. I'm a bit of a HK fan, mainly because I've yet to find anything about the various models that I don't like.

USP -- With "match" trigger, better trigger than other HKs (so I have heard).
The USP is available with a match trigger , (standard in a few model, optional in others), and it is a terrific trigger, though it is fairly expensive to have it installed.

#9 ·
As far as over-all usage/reliability and so forth would the HK be better than a Springield?
As a owner of both a USP LEM Compact and a XD-45 LE Service model [where both are reliable], the edge I'd give to the H&K would be in terms of overall quality and in the role of a home defense gun or duty / open carry gun. My particular XD is a single stack and makes for a better choice for CCW.

#10 ·
As a owner of both a USP LEM Compact and a XD-45 LE Service model [where both are reliable], the edge I'd give to the H&K would be in terms of overall quality and in the role of a home defense gun or duty / open carry gun. My particular XD is a single stack and makes for a better choice for CCW.

Springfield doesn't make a single stack XD...:thinking:

#13 ·
I carry the H&K USP 40c as a duty pistol. It is very reliable and accurate. However, there are things to consider. They are way overpriced. The double action trigger is very heavy. The full-size is huge and even the compact requires a large hand to operate the mag release without having to alter your grip. From experience, if you drop a full mag, it will break the floorplate. Parts can be hard to find.

I don't see the H&K as a Mercedes. They are great but also over rated. There are pistols that shoot just as well for far less.

#15 ·
I love my USP 40 C. The DA trigger can be a little on the heavy side but I don't find the trigger overly bad. The XD trigger is lighter but it has too much overtravel after it breaks. The XD trigger also has has too much travel after the reset. When you hear the click for the reset you have some distance you have to pull back to take up the extra slack.

As far as reliability they both (XD45C, HK USP40C) are. The HK in the first few hundred rounds a round would get hung up on the feed ramp while a round was chambering. A slap to the rear of the slide would send it home. After that it never did it again and only did it a few times. It may have been the feed ramp needing some polishing or a small burr on it and the fact that 40 rounds are blunt nosed. The XD has been reliable but because of where they put the slide release I hit it while shooting and will lock the slide back on a partially full mag. Of all the pistols I've shot the XD is the only pistol I have ever done that with.

#16 ·
I can easily shoot smaller groups at 25 yards with my USP .45 than with any other pistol I own, which surprises even me, considering I still use the post-ban 10-rounders it came with when new! Sure, the DA pull stinks, but most USPs allow the option of carrying Condition One, so you can bypass what seems like a 30-pound first pull. In fact, I'm expecting a new set of night sights to arrive any day as the old ones completely faded out long ago.

#17 ·
I forgot to mention that in all those years, the ol' USP has never experienced a single failure.

#18 ·
Have these and wont let any one of em go....their great guns.....

I have re fallen in love with the P2000sk in 357sig. Some may not like the round but I do. The recoil is far less than a 45 and not that of a 40. I have the 40cal barrel for it but like the 357sig best.

The P30 is the best shootin 9 I know of...of course in my humble but accurate opinion.

Of course the classic P7...a one of a kind in style and substance.

#22 ·
I would not sell an XD for an HK. You won't be getting a better gun. The XDs are as good as they get. HKs are more expensive because their manufacturing costs are higher in Germany, not because they are better. They are both very, very good pistols, just different. Get both or keep the XD is my humble suggesion.

Personally I prefer the XD/XDM just because it is striker fired. I would love to get an HK one day, it is just not at the top of my wish list.

#24 ·
The HK's are great weapons. I have the P2000sk, couple of USP compacts and a P7M8. As a whole all of my HK's have been reliable, accurate, very well-constructed and are spot-on ergonomically. They are priced a bit higher than some of their competition but they are IMHO worth the price.

#26 ·
With the XD and XDM if the grip safety is not pressed in, you can not cycle the slide.

pg15 of the XDM manual:

Grip Safety - The grip safety is located at the top rear of the firearm grip (See Figure 15-1). The grip safety must be depressed to be deactivated. Unless the grip safety is properly depressed and deactivated, the firearm will not fire even if the trigger is pulled. Grip safety must also be depressed to allow slide to be pulled to the rear. The grip safety is designed to be deactivated when the firearm is properly gripped to fire (See Figure 15-2). To fire the firearm you must properly hold the firearm, and depress the grip safety,
Pg17 of the XD manual:

Grip Safety - The grip safety is located at the top rear of the firearm grip. (See Figure 17-1.) The grip safety must be depressed to be deactivated (See Figure 17-2.) Unless the grip safety is properly depressed and deactivated, the firearm will not fire even if the trigger is pulled. grip safety must also be depressed to allow slide to be pulled to the rear. The grip safety is designed to be deactivated when the firearm is properly gripped to fire. To fire the firearm you must properly hold the firearm, and depress the grip safety, deactivate the thumb safety (if equipped).

#28 ·
With HK, you have numerous options!

I EDC the P2000sk .40 Light LEM, and it's a BEAST!

Use the HK45C (DA/SA) as my HD/Range pistol, and eventually will get it also converted to Light LEM trigger. There are a few more HK's I want to add to my stable!!

PM, PHP KMB, I, 32*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.