So I've never been a revolver guy but...

This is a discussion on So I've never been a revolver guy but... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As the title not so subtly implies I'm not much of a revolver guy. My first pistol was an 1860 army revolver (italian clone) and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By C hawk Glock

Thread: So I've never been a revolver guy but...

So I've never been a revolver guy but...

As the title not so subtly implies I'm not much of a revolver guy. My first pistol was an 1860 army revolver (italian clone) and man black powder is fun. I also have an old 3 screw ruger single six .22 that is a family heirloom. Other than that no weelguns for me. Recently I put together a holster for a coworker.IMG_0338.JPG
    I kinda have the revolver bug. I've looked at the S&W website and I know their quality is fine but I don't like the looks of their revolvers. I want a 6" .44 and really like the Colt Anaconda. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I like ruger revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I like ruger revolvers.
    yeah but their .44's look wierd

What model Smith & Wesson is hiding in that holster?

I'm a fan of Smith & Wesson revolvers first and Colt second. Have you taken a look at older Smith & Wesson Model 29 and Model 629 .44 Magnum revolvers? They are so fine to own and shoot and a used one in good condition will still last a lifetime. With any sort of care it will retain a good measure of it's purchase price too or maybe even appreciate. I've enjoyed owning and using a Model 29 for 31 years now and it's been perfectly satisfactory for extended use with heavy handloads.

The Colts are nice too and well respected among revolver aficionados. I've only shot an Anaconda .44 Magnum on one occasion, six shots through another fellow's Anaconda while on the firing line at a pistol range. It was nice though and soaked up recoil well.

A great many folks love the Ruger double-action revolvers and swear by them. Only a personal opinion but I can't see the attraction in the Ruger guns. Their looks, their handling characteristics, and the feel of their actions leaves me cold.

Take a look at them anyway because you might find you could come to love one.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

It's an old model 29 I think, (not my gun and it didn't have a model number on it oddly enough)

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    It's an old model 29 I think, (not my gun and it didn't have a model number on it oddly enough)
    Here you go, Doodle.

If you are looking for the model number on a Smith & Wesson revolver just pop open the cylinder to see it on the inside of the frame. Smith & Wesson didn't mark the exterior surfaces of their revolvers with model numbers. Shown is a Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum bearing the marking "MOD 27-2". The "-2" after the model number as seen here represents the product revision under which this revolver was manufactured. The dash number is scarcely important except for a very few models of revolvers and then only if one is a rabid S&W collector.

If a model number doesn't appear at all in this locate then the revolver was manufactured prior to 1958, the year the numeric model numbers were first assigned to Smith & Wesson revolvers.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Here you go, Doodle.

If you are looking for the model number on a Smith & Wesson revolver just pop open the cylinder to see it on the inside of the frame. Smith & Wesson didn't mark the exterior surfaces of their revolvers with model numbers. Shown is a Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum bearing the marking "MOD 27-2". The "-2" after the model number as seen here represents the product revision under which this revolver was manufactured. The dash number is scarcely important except for a very few models of revolvers and then only if one is a rabid S&W collector.

If a model number doesn't appear at all in this locate then the revolver was manufactured prior to 1958, the year the numeric model numbers were first assigned to Smith & Wesson revolvers.
    Hah, learned something. Thank you very much

VIP Member
    What model Smith & Wesson is hiding in that holster?

I'm a fan of Smith & Wesson revolvers first and Colt second. Have you taken a look at older Smith & Wesson Model 29 and Model 629 .44 Magnum revolvers? They are so fine to own and shoot and a used one in good condition will still last a lifetime. With any sort of care it will retain a good measure of it's purchase price too or maybe even appreciate. I've enjoyed owning and using a Model 29 for 31 years now and it's been perfectly satisfactory for extended use with heavy handloads.

The Colts are nice too and well respected among revolver aficionados. I've only shot an Anaconda .44 Magnum on one occasion, six shots through another fellow's Anaconda while on the firing line at a pistol range. It was nice though and soaked up recoil well.

A great many folks love the Ruger double-action revolvers and swear by them. Only a personal opinion but I can't see the attraction in the Ruger guns. Their looks, their handling characteristics, and the feel of their actions leaves me cold.

Take a look at them anyway because you might find you could come to love one.
    bmcgilvray,

You are a brother from another mother! I feel the same way. Why have a Ruger when you can have a Smith or a Colt?

BTW here is my S&W .44 and I think she is a real beaut Clark!

model29.jpg
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I think it is the straight line look from the top of the frame to the top of the barrel rib on the anaconda that I like but, once something becomes yours, you know how it is. You'll love it because of this and that but really because it's yours. I'm still open to S&W. Just need the extra money and one for a good price. Will be finished with in house training soon and hitting the field with new job. Petrolium indusrty field service pays well so I see lots of gun purchases in my future just don't tell the wife that!

Makes me go weak in the knees to see that one, C Hawk Glock!

Perfect general purpose barrel length, a handgun cartridge that can accomplish all that can reasonably be expected from a side arm, and all done up in shiny nickel. I've done gone and reverted to my childhood, again being attracted to the classic nickel models after years of holding them in contempt.

Let's see, Tomball, Texas? I get down that way every so often.

We'll be certain not to tell...for a small fee, heh!

VIP Member
    Makes me go weak in the knees to see that one, C Hawk Glock!

Perfect general purpose barrel length, a handgun cartridge that can accomplish all that can reasonably be expected from a side arm, and all done up in shiny nickel. I've done gone and reverted to my childhood, again being attracted to the classic nickel models after years of holding them in contempt.
    I hear you on the nickel. I tend to prefer blued finishes over the years, but boy oh boy if you get a nice nickel finish they look almost too good to shoot.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Let's see, Tomball, Texas? I get down that way every so often.

We'll be certain not to tell...for a small fee, heh!
    At least a range trip if nothin else.

Links