Hi Power or other options? - Page 2

Hi Power or other options?

This is a discussion on Hi Power or other options? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Should I consider any of the Hi Power clones used by foreign militarily or police in my search? Are they as well made and reliable ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Power or other options?

Should I consider any of the Hi Power clones used by foreign militarily or police in my search? Are they as well made and reliable as the Browning? Retain parts interchangeability like a 1911 clone?

Michael

While the Hi Power is a fine weapon, and is supposed to be an improvement on the 1911 design, which is debatable, I personally prefer the CZ 75. They are cheaper, and slightly more robust.

It has been thought that the inside frame slide may exhibit greater accuracy potential. While I don't know if this is true, cause I ain't that smart, I do know that it is the most accurate 9mm I have ever fired from the box that was not designed as a target pistol.

I also like the option of choosing between DA first shot or SA cocked and locked.
    I rate the Browning vs the CZ as pretty much even. It really comes down to preference. You really cannot go wrong either way.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    Now I will have to find reruns. I have thought for 30 years it was a Hi Power
    I cheated....I looked it up.

Starsky and Hutch (TV Series) - imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database

now this cop did carry a Hi-Power.....

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

There was a famous real cop who carried a Hi-Power.....

Frank Serpico's Browning Hi-Power and smaller pistol | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Then there were these folks who used the Hi-Power......

Browning Hi-Power in popular culture at AllExperts

Then there is me.......

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....
    Last edited by Old School; September 23rd, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I own a Browning high power... Great gun. I also own a Browning HP Compact (DA FIRST SHOT) And today I picked up a Browning DBM. So I guess my vote would be for the Browning.

Starsky & Hutch (2004) - imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database

The following guns were used in the film Starsky & Hutch (2004):

Starsky & Hutch (2004)Contents [hide]
    1 Rock Island Armory Commander
    2 Colt Python
    3 Walther PPK/S
    4 Walther PPK
    5 Smith & Wesson Model 19 Snub
    6 M1911A1
    7 Remington 700
    8 Smith & Wesson Model 10
    9 Enfield No.2 Mk.I*
    10 Smith & Wesson Model 64
    11 Smith & Wesson Model 36

Belgium Browning HP for me. They are as classic a gun you can get. Removed the magazine disconnect "safety", added a Cylinder and Slide thumb safety. Mags drop free. It is not a bullseye match gun but is awsome as a combat/personal defense shooter. Feeds Federal 9BP, Remington Express JHP and Golden Saber GS9MMB flawlessly.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The P-35 is my favorite 9.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Should I consider any of the Hi Power clones used by foreign militarily or police in my search? Are they as well made and reliable as the Browning? Retain parts interchangeability like a 1911 clone?

Michael

this is my third FEG PJK-9HP, and really sorry I let the other two slip away. Since FEG is no longer in business, you can find used ones on Gunbroker and in the used gun case at your local GS. They are very well made, but are not the high quality of a real Hi-Power. Triggers have been different on all three....one was perfect, other sucked, the one below is just "OK".
    My understanding is that the FEG HiPower clones are true copies of the Hi Power, and parts and mags are interchangeable.
    I can only attest that HP mags work in my FEG. Have a couple of MecGar 15 rounders made for the HP that work great.
    Only thing I did to this FEG that I picked up used for $325 is to add a pair of grips from Cylinder and Slide. Finish was about 95%, and is a beautiful deep polished blue.....that few make anymore.

Might be worth a look if you don't have the $800-900 for a Hi-Power. I will have one after my daughter graduates from college.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    Now I will have to find reruns. I have thought for 30 years it was a Hi Power
    The definitive answer from wiki:

In the pilot episode, Starsky carries a Beretta which he identifies as such in an early scene while the two are sitting in Hutch's car doing a weapon inventory, but once the series began, Starsky carried a M1911A1 Colt pistol, as seen in the opening theme of seson 1. A Smith & Wesson Model 59 (9mm) can be clearly identified in a close up scene near the end of "The Fix", the 4th episode of Season 1.

In the pilot episode Hutch carried a .38 (also identified during the same weapons inventory scene), but carries a Colt Python .357 Magnum revolver through the series entire run. Hutch's weapon was a medium-barrel length at the start of the series; however, in the third first-season episode "Texas Longhorn", the "Zak" character carried a long-barreled model, and Soul subsequently asked to carry that version from that point forward

I've had my HiPower since 1991. I've never had a Failure to Fire or Extract (or any other failure come to think of it).
    The only things I have any issue are the not dropping the mag, and that it bites my
    hand between thumb and index finger after a couple hundred rounds.
    Nothing painful, but I always end up with a blood blister after a range trip.
    Disengaging the safety is something extra to train for as with the 1911's.
    I'd never get rid of it and love the way it feels and shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    FEG made some fine H-P clones (PJK-9HP, P9M), as did the FM arms concern of Argentina (M-90, M-95). While not as painstakingly built as a commercial Browning H-P, these guns are almost always reliable shooters. I have an FEG P9M that has been flawless through 1400 rounds, and it is one of my favorite carry guns. I paid $330 for it 2 years ago, and it is dollar-for-dollar the best handgun I've ever owned. I have six BHPs already, but if I run across a PJK-9HP for less than $450, I'll buy it in a heartbeat!
    JD
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

My HP is my second favorite 9mm; my first being a P7.

You won't go wrong by getting the Browning.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    My HP is my second favorite 9mm; my first being a P7.

You won't go wrong by getting the Browning.
    Cuda66, you're a man after my own heart....

JD
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

Thumbs up

The old FNHiPower forum has been gone for a while, and Steve Camp has passed away, but his website is still here - with a lot of valuble information.

Hi Powers and Handguns

Anyone who owns a Hi Power really should buy his manuals on this pistol:

Products

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links