Hi Power or other options?

This is a discussion on Hi Power or other options? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering another carry weapon. I figure you can't have enough. I prefer steel and the ability to carry cocked and locked so single ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Power or other options?

Hi Power or other options?

I am considering another carry weapon. I figure you can't have enough. I prefer steel and the ability to carry cocked and locked so single action is fine. Is the Browning Hi Power my best option?
    I have read good things about the CZ 75 B SA online. From what I've read it is a more complicated design than the Browning. Should I be looking at other pistols that fit my requirements?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

The Hi Power is my very favorite 9mm of all. I don't often carry any sort of 9mm but the Hi-Power is the best of the best in my view. I too love steel and single-action triggers.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The Hi-Power is a classic and the CZ-75 adds some options some folks find desireable, such as hammer-down DA first shot. The HP has a pretty small safety lever which some people need 2 hands to manipulate, and the CZ-75 has a narrow slide (slide runs inside the frame, rather than outside) which is less easily grabbed for clearing malfs and administrative handling. Best thing to do, if you can, is to handle and shoot each to see which you handle more comfortably and reliably.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I believe either would suit you. The high power is a weapon that is sometimes ammo sensitive.
    I have eight High Powers and I am lucky that they all feed my preferance of ammo like a Las Vegas Slot Machine.

Lots of custom parts and good cheaper magazines for the High Power.

Let your lust for the gun be your guide.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

VIP Member
    I had the same question a few months ago. I chose the CZ. It came down to money and a beaver tail.

For $300 less and no hammer bite you get a wonderfully accurate pistol you will not want to put down.

I took mine to a class recently and it performed flawlessly. What a joy to shoot!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Cool

My Hi-Power is a sentemental favorite and it feeds the Federal 9BP 115 grain HP flawlessly.

The Hi-Power was my first hi-cap pistol and it fits my hand better than any other handgun I have ever owned.

If all I had was my Hi-Power I would feel very well armed.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge

1964 Hi-Power with Heinie Lo-Pro sights, C&S extended safety and Hogue Coco Bolo grips.
    Attached Images
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The reason I did not buy a HiPower was the mags will not drop free and I think the CZs will .I sure someone here that knows more about Browning HiPowers than me can correct me if I,m wrong on this.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

+ 1 on the Hi Power. If the 1911 is outa the question, the HP is where I would look to fill that niche.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Personally if your looking for a carry gun, I'd go with the CZ75. More options available to you with them. You can go with the SA which is single action only, or the B which is SA/DA. Cost wish the CZ will cost several hundred dollars less.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Never shot a cz but owned a Hi-Power for a few years and yeah I'm sorry I traded it off!
    I would think there would be a wider variety of after market "goodies" for the Browning.

Browning Hi Power was my first 9mm. I talked my dad into signing for it back in 1974 before I was old enough. The only reason I wanted one was because my favorite cop show at the time had one guy carrying a Python and the other had a Hi Power. Any other old guys want to guess which show was my favorite? By the way always sorry I traded it for a Mod. 29 like my other favorite cop. Still have the 29.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    The reason I did not buy a HiPower was the mags will not drop free and I think the CZs will .I sure someone here that knows more about Browning HiPowers than me can correct me if I,m wrong on this.
    I would go with the Hi-Power because of the greater variety and easier availability of parts, accessories--especially holsters!--and information about the gun. If you are worried about the mags not dropping free, either remove the mag safety or buy the Browning magazines with the "mouse trap" springs, which literally fly out of the gun.
    I have both guns and would go with the BHP in a heartbeat just because it is a much more popular and widely distributed gun with spare parts and accessoreis to match.
    JD
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    Browning Hi Power was my first 9mm. I talked my dad into signing for it back in 1974 before I was old enough. The only reason I wanted one was because my favorite cop show at the time had one guy carrying a Python and the other had a Hi Power. Any other old guys want to guess which show was my favorite? By the way always sorry I traded it for a Mod. 29 like my other favorite cop. Still have the 29.
    I watched a show where one carried a Python, and the other carried a SW Model 59 9mm, but no Hi-Power......they drove a big Orange Gran Torino.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

+1 on the mouse trap mags. I was admiring a HiPower at a gun show and to my chagrin the mag was forcefully ejected onto the floor when I hit the release. Never knew about those mags until then. Loved my MKIII Hi Power. It fed everything I put into it. Only jammed once on a sketchy reload.

Now I will have to find reruns. I have thought for 30 years it was a Hi Power
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links