Sig P290 any thoughts??

This is a discussion on Sig P290 any thoughts?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; P290-TT-Detail-R.jpg How about this 9mm for a small conceal carry piece...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P290 any thoughts??

Sig P290 any thoughts??

P290-TT-Detail-R.jpg

How about this 9mm for a small conceal carry piece
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Never fired one but I bet its a handful on recoil. Without a grip extension I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything but the first shot.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Reading some reviews they say the empty weight of 20oz makes it a pleasant shooter of course the balancing of the full mag and weight up front helps, I'm anxious to fire one

Any feed or jamming with the p290?

I haven't heard of anyone saying any jamming,fte or ftf with this pistol anyone know of any problems regarding ammo through the 290?

VIP Member
    The 290 is a new gun, I haven't even seen one yet in the stores around here. As with any brand new model there will be some problems until they have been in the field to discover them and for Sig to work them out. I'd wait 6 month to a year before getting one.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I just purchase a p290 after looking at both the Kahr pm9 and Kimber solo. The 290 is almost identical in size to the pm9 but weighs about 5 ounces more. I will say I was not dissapointed shooting the little bugger. I put 300 rounds through it without one misfire. The gun handles well and the recoil is very manageable due to its weight. With the short mag I can get one and a half fingers around the stock and am able to steady the gun well with my non shooting hand. Of the 3 guns the 290 felt the best in my hand, especially the trigger. Both the solo and pm9 triggers were uncomfortable on my finger. I will say I have owned both a Kahr P9 and K9. I loved the K9 but it was a little too heavy, a good shooter though. So far I'm happy with the choice.

loooong trigger pull - get a Walther PPS

VIP Member
    I had a chance to handle one at the gun show this weekend. Granted it was unloaded, but I didn't think it was very well balanced.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

To me, they look really cool, but they are just too heavy for a gun of that size. It is 8 oz heaiver than my Kel tec PF9. It also costs twice as much. I have never played with one but I am betting the trigger sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    To me, they look really cool, but they are just too heavy for a gun of that size. It is 8 oz heaiver than my Kel tec PF9. It also costs twice as much. I have never played with one but I am betting the trigger sucks.
    Really ? Youve never handled one but the trigger sucks. Well ive handled one and the trigger is not as smooth as the kahr but way better than the Kel-Tec. The P290 will be a bit heavy in the pocket but some people pocket carry the Kahr MK9. The P290 will Dissapear IWB with a T-shirt or ride nice on the ankle.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Quote Originally Posted by pierced456 View Post
    Really ? Youve never handled one but the trigger sucks. Well ive handled one and the trigger is not as smooth as the kahr but way better than the Kel-Tec. The P290 will be a bit heavy in the pocket but some people pocket carry the Kahr MK9. The P290 will Dissapear IWB with a T-shirt or ride nice on the ankle.

Actually I have a Keltec PF9 and have handled 2 Sig P290's and I did not like the trigger on the P290 as the 2 that I have handled were really gritty feeling to me, whereas my PF9's trigger seemed smoother which may be hard to believe Just sharing my experience. God Bless Smile:

Shot one from the rental counter at my range.

-It was in DIRE need of cleaning so I expect that had something to do with light strikes. I just want to explain, this thing was FILTHY... I can not fault the weapon for issues based on that.

-It is a little heavy for what it is & the capacity is a little low for what it is.

-It shot ok. I was neither amazed or repulsed. It is a neat little gun, but I feel there are better choices for the money.

-It is not the typical Sig. I have a 229 & a P6 and they characterize what I expect from Sig.

-It would not be my first choice for CC.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I have not shot one but have had the opportunity on two occasions to check one out.

For me the gun felt horrible. Way too chunky feeling. The thick grip did not feel right at all. It was hard to get a good grip on the gun because it's too thick and too short. The trigger wasn't horrible but it was not great. And it is wayyyyyyyy too heavy for pocket carry!

My first thought when I handled the pistol was that I am glad that I went with another sub compact 9mm.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I thought the trigger pull sucked but it was reliable for the 100 rounds I fired through one.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

twc
    Same size as the cm9 but costs almost twice as much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links