Would adding a Kahr CM9 to my collection make sense?

This is a discussion on Would adding a Kahr CM9 to my collection make sense? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about purchasing a single stack 9mm preferably a Kahr CM9. Locally I think I can get one for about $400 otd. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Would adding a Kahr CM9 to my collection make sense?

I am thinking about purchasing a single stack 9mm preferably a Kahr CM9. Locally I think I can get one for about $400 otd. I like having a variety of pistols but do not want to buy something that would be similar to another handgun I own. The smallest handgun I own is a S&W jframe 642. This usually is in my pocket. I like the 9mm single stacks because they are small, thin, and 9mm ammo is cheaper and a bit more power than 380.

I don't want to buy a single stack 9mm if it won't be easier to carry than my Jframe (which is pretty easy).

So is it worth getting a single stack 9mm which may feel about the same size as my jframe or should I go with a pocket 380 because it would definitely be smaller and easier to carry than my Jframe.

VIP Member
    I now try to limit my purchases to things I will use regularly. If smaller were always better, I have a Kel-tec which I should dearly love, which is not the case. In fact, I find a Glock 19 to be a much more comfortable all day carry than a Kahr PM9. Just depends on what you need, and what you like I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I now try to limit my purchases to things I will use regularly. If smaller were always better, I have a Kel-tec which I should dearly love, which is not the case. In fact, I find a Glock 19 to be a much more comfortable all day carry than a Kahr PM9. Just depends on what you need, and what you like I reckon.
    I do own and carry a Glock 19 and a 1911 depending on my wardrobe and my mood. I do feel that my Jframe is this easiest and most comfortable handgun I own. I feel myself reaching for that most of the time. I do feel that the G19 and 1911 are also comfortable to carry especially with my gun belt and holster setup but just not as much as the jframe in my pocket or on my waist.

I do tend to make purchases on what I would use frequently. I have a GP100 that I never ever use and rarely shoot 357 mag since the price is ridiculous (shoot 38special). I love the gp100 but it just sits in my safe and I don't get to enjoy it.

VIP Member
    I carried a M1911 for awhile, but eventually switched to the Glock. Like I mentioned, when I need small I go with the Kahr. Body shape, personal preference, experiences, and carry rig all figure heavily into what we go with. I am frankly so happy with what I use now that I have quit seriously looking at alternatives. That is a very nice place to be, come to think of it.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    The problem with Kahr:
    1. Company is (allegedly) backed by the Korean 'Moonies';
    2. Sometimes you get a lemon - the piece is very tight and you get FTFs until you put 200 rounds through it;
    3. Can be expensive;
    4. Hard to find a shop that will allow test fire.

The upside:
    1. Best trigger out there in a compact HG. I dry fired one and it's nice;
    2. Very 'accurate' - white dot sights on the base model;
    3. Many different varieties (see the website);
    4. AFAIK, metal guide rod (reduces muzzle flip, I'm told.

I'd google the model you want. PM is the more expensive line, then CM and CW, I believe. A friend has one and was extolling the accuracy.

VIP Member
    I'd say you're close to splitting hairs. The CW9 does a have little more firepower.

I have a 637 and a PM9 to compare. They both carry about the same. Honestly, the only reason that I own the PM9 is an occasional lack of impulse control. That said, it is a fine firearm.

They are both pocket-holster guns for me, and I must admit that the PM9 comes along for the ride more often on those occasions.

If you can't pocket carry this, you're not trying very hard.........

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    If you can't pocket carry this, you're not trying very hard.........

I agree! I purchased my CW9 just prior to the release of the CM9. The CW9 is just a tad too large for pocket carry for me.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

VIP Member
    The main reason I got the Kahr is because of the incredible NRA instructor discount they offered. I'm not sure they advertise it anymore, but contact the sales department if interested. I'm not head-over-heels with the gun, but I am not disappointed, either. It is adequate.

The PM9/CM9 is considerably smaller/thinner than a J frame revolver. 2 extra rounds, easier to carry/conceal reloads. Better sights. Tells you when you are out of ammo by locking the slide open. Cheaper to shoot. Manages recoil better. Better trigger.

So duh - get one.

I got my PM9 via their Instructor sales program. Good deal...IIRC it was $410 + $35 shipping + $65 for the factory night sights.

My current PM9 had issues with feeding from the 7-rd mag, but works fine with the 6-rd mag, FYI.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have both a J-Frame and CM9. I find that I'm carry the CM9 with an extra mag 90% of the time.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

...In fact, I find a Glock 19 to be a much more comfortable all day carry than a Kahr PM9. Just depends on what you need, and what you like I reckon.
    Interesting! Your Glock is 1-1/2 inches longer, 1/3 inch thicker, an inch taller, and (loaded), weighs 1/2 pound more than a PM9. If you find it more comfortable to carry, you need a better holster for the Kahr. Or maybe the Kool-Aid has affected your perception(?)

Regards,
    Jim
    mr surveyor and C hawk Glock like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Interesting! Your Glock is 1-1/2 inches longer, 1/3 inch thicker, an inch taller, and (loaded), weighs 1/2 pound more than a PM9. If you find it more comfortable to carry, you need a better holster for the Kahr. Or maybe the Kool-Aid has affected your perception(?)

Regards,
    Jim
    Smaller and lighter does not necessarily equate to more comfortable, regardless of the brand of beverage one prefers. I carry both in virtually-identical Brommeland Max-Con V IWB holsters, virtually-identical except for the individual boning, and the slightly-smaller last upon which the Kahr holster is based. The snowshoe effect of the larger holster makes it for me, at least a more comfortable all-day carry. The Kahr set-up is adequate when necessary, but not as comfortable.

I am frankly so happy with what I use now that I have quit seriously looking at alternatives. That is a very nice place to be, come to think of it.
    +1 (G19 & CM9)...since the CM9 showed up the LCP has not been out for a ride. But I am all about the Glock cool-aid.

VIP Member
    What's to think about. Any reason to buy another gun is a good reason!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links