Back to carrying the 1911

This is a discussion on Back to carrying the 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday was the last day of summer, the highs down here are projected to be in the mid-80's for the next 10 days and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Back to carrying the 1911

VIP Member

Back to carrying the 1911

Yesterday was the last day of summer, the highs down here are projected to be in the mid-80's for the next 10 days and the temps should gradually ride down from here.

The G26 stayed in the safe this morning, and out came the MTAC and the FX Titan .45, loaded up with 230gr hp.

It's a good bit heavier, but also a good bit thinner. The Titan is clearly nothing to brag about, but it has won me over and just seems to get better with time. Hearing the hollow 'thunk' of the round entering the chamber while running the buttery-smooth action this morning actually brought a smile to my face.

I'm looking forward to when I can break out the flannel shirts and jean jacket now.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Everyone is different. I find a Glock to be a much more comfortable carry than a similarly-sized Kimber, even in the same model holster.

Know exactly what you are talking about. I have been carrying mine for the last month IWB, under a polo shirt. It's heavier, but thinner, and it feels sooooo good holsterd on the belt.

And those big fat bullets are absolutely great to see.
    shooterX, bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Yup I know whatcha mean... I'm sporting my M&P 9c today and going solo for the first time in a while.. Put my 637 in the safe and decided that after 450 to 500 rounds DR with my M&P and zero malfunctions, I figure I'm good to go.. I can sure feel the difference in weight, but still a bit smitten with the new pistol so it's all good.

+1 on the cool air. I can't wait for the sixty degree high temp days..
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Lol, in a few months we will all be looking forward to warm weather and lighter guns.
    But it's all good, so many will never see the seasons change again.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Finally 35 night, 55 day. perfect weather. The 1911 can't wait for parka pocket carry. Hands in the pockets will be everyday normal soon.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Now that I have mine back, and as it gets cooler here I will transition away from my mod 66 for the winter.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Lol, in a few months we will all be looking forward to warm weather and lighter guns.
    But it's all good, so many will never see the seasons change again.
    LOL, yeah ain't that the truth... Lucky for me, the next few months is when I usually have a few extra bills around to make new purchases.

Already have my eyes on a couple other firearms that have been on my list for the past year, or so. Love this time of year.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Thinking the same thing..NEXT month. Still too hot down here in mid-west GA for the Colt. Been carrying my SP101 alot in my "Old Grunt Special" from Hays Holsters, very comfortable. Prior to the 101 coming around it was my G26 85% of the time and the Colt OM the rest. Want to get back to packin' the 45ACP in what passes for winter down here.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

It's ALWAYS 1911 weather in Maine!
    ampinf likes this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Rock on WHEC!! 1911's in the CSRA.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Well I always hear the clunk of a .45 round hitting the chamber, but as the weather cools down, the gun will change. The CW45 will see the inside of the safe and a 1911 will replace it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Dang it! I keep doing everything backwards. Not only do I carry crossdraw, but now that cooler (jacket) weather is here, I'm finding myself switching from a larger (P220 Carry) to a smaller (Springer LW Champion Operator) EDC pistol!.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

I carry mine, no matter the weather. Just depends on my mood.

It's easier to load those fat bullets in their mags, too
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Tried to lighten my load this summer by trying to carry my kahr K9. Good shoot'in 'lil pistol,but my custom bobtailed Kimber Pro Raptor is mostly what I've carried since early spring.
    When it gets to be "jacket weather" my Colt goverment model will be my EDC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links