Which Revolver do the Ladies Prefer?

This is a discussion on Which Revolver do the Ladies Prefer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, this is about as simple as it gets. Which revolver do the average ladies like to carry and or shoot the most? I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Which Revolver do the Ladies Prefer?

Well, this is about as simple as it gets. Which revolver do the average ladies like to carry and or shoot the most? I am buying my GF her first handgun. The range has options, but limited options. I'll be taking her to try out what they have, but I am curious as to what the women of this forum, or significant others, or family members prefer to shoot and or carry. She is a teacher, so it will probably spend most of its time in a glove box during the week (not ideal, but that's the way it will be, for now). She is tall, so her hands are on the larger side for a woman. For the record, she is a natural at the range and has no issue hitting the target with my XD .40. She definitely handles recoil very well (even though she has fibromyalgia). However, she does have issues cocking an auto - plus I don't want her to have to worry with the extra mechanics of one. A 442 might be a tad too small. We'll find out at the range, though.

So... What do you ladies, out there, prefer/like the best?

I let my wife shoot and try various pistols before we bought her her first one. Of all the pistols she tried she hated revolvers the most. She didn't care for the recoil or the heavy trigger pull. She ended up picking and loves her G19. The recoil doesn't bother her, she can easily rack the slide, and she can shoot ti accurately. My wife had a hard time and really can't rack the slide on my XD45C. The XDs have some stout springs in them. One of the things we were looking at in a pistol was if she was able to rack the slide. She was able to on the Glock.

One of my female friends uses her 357 LCR as her daily carry gun. She picked it up after trying out my 38 LCR. She loads it with 38+p rounds, but the extra few ounces the 357 weighs helps with recoil. She chose the LCR over the S&W because it had less felt recoil. The grips on the LCR are very well designed and the extra cushioning in the web of your hands really soaks up the recoil. Add to that the butter smooth trigger and you have a great carry gun. I would try to find a LCR for her to try out and see if she likes it.

VIP Member
    My wife has 2 revolvers. Her first was the Ruger Speed Six 2.75" snubbie, .357 Mag that she shoots .38 Special from. Her other is a 2" Taurus Model 85, .38 Special. While the Taurus is lighter and smaller, she actually shoots the Ruger better.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My wife likes the Ruger LCR and wants it in .357 magnum. Even though that round packs quite a recoil punch in a small frame revolver, she would not be shooting 100 rounds at the range with it. Having it in .357 you still can shoot .38spl and also the +P loads.

The LCR in my opinion has one of the nicest trigger pull systems out there, has great Hogue grips and is very well balanced. The next purchace of a handgun for my wife to compliment her LCP will be the LCR.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

My wife likes K-Frame Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolvers and full-sized 1911s for range time. She does admire the Smith & Wesson Model 642 for concealed carry duty and even if she doesn't really enjoy shooting it in practice she is quite capable with it. She likes the Model 642 better than I do.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks guys. All good info for me to look into. Personally, I don't have a lot of experience with revolvers. Any issues with sights on the guns that you have mentioned? I have noticed that some revolvers have some terrible (practically non-existent) sight systems.

Fingers crossed that some females on this board actually read this post, too

The sights on the LCR are ok. I put the Hi Viz green front sight on mine and it is a huge improvement. It was less than 20 bucks and took 5 min to install. You just punch out the pin that holds the sight on, put the new sight on and install the new pin. It is very easy to pick up quickly and well worth the money.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    They are out of print now but my wife won't part with her Colt Diamondback .38 special. The Colt Detective special is the same gun only minus the vent rib,smaller grips and a two inch snubby barrel.
    The Colts are 6 shot and the double action trigger pulls like butter.

Cool

My wife carries what use to be my S&W 638.......

No I did not give it up of my own free will.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge......
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    The revolver that comes with a credit card..........
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

My wife loves her 642 with laser grips. I tried to talk her out of it but it was what she wanted. She doesn't mind the recoil. The sights on carry revolvers are not that great, the laser grips are great for carry and for learning proper trigger control. If you get her a revolver with laser grips get her some snap caps to practice loading\unloading and for dryfiring. When dryfiring try holding the laser dot as steady as possible while pulling the trigger. When pulling the trigger on a double action revolver like the 642 use the use the distal (first) joint of trigger finger instead of the pad on the finger tip. You will have alot better trigger control that way. It also helps recoil control if you grip small revolvers alot harder than you do semi autos. Most people who don't like them won't take the time to learn to shoot them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    My wife carries what use to be my S&W 638.......

No I did not give it up of my own free will.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge......

^^^^^^^By the looks of that, and your remarks, you are having issues^^^^^^

I would need therapy.

On the bright side, its still in the family.

To the OP.

My wife loves my Dan Wesson 15-2VH, 6 in. .357 mag.

It would make Mr. Magoo, shoot like Rob Laetham.

She also likes her 85 Taurus snub, tho not as much.

We will try to find her something preferrably w/o an external hammer when she gets her CPL in a few mos.

2 Daughters love 2 shoot anything you put in their hands
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I like my Ruger SP 101 (357) but I tend to carry my S&W J-frame (scandium lightweight in 38spl.) more. With enough practice, the lightweight isn't all that bad and in a bad situation, you won't feel it at all.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Ruger LCR .38 or Smith LadySmith .357

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links