Sure wish I had not bought my new Kimber 1911

This is a discussion on Sure wish I had not bought my new Kimber 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After all, it is an obsolete design. 1911's are dinosaurs. They FTF, FTE, parts break all the time. A worthless gun chambered for a highly ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sure wish I had not bought my new Kimber 1911

Sure wish I had not bought my new Kimber 1911

After all, it is an obsolete design. 1911's are dinosaurs. They FTF, FTE, parts break all the time. A worthless gun chambered for a highly overrated cartridge. The best in its day, but that day is long gone.

At least, that is what all the "experienced" folks are saying.

I have been fortunate enough to never have needed a gun for defense. I sure hope that holds true, as my 1911 will not cut the mustard. It'll jam. Or break. Or simply disintegrate in my hands as I draw. My only hope is that I will be carrying one of my other guns when the wheels come off.

Gimme a break. That mother will read from the good book, same it has been doing for how long now? Oh yeah, that's right. 100 years. About the only other American things that have lasted as long as the 1911 design are the Constitution and electricity. Even the flag has changed within the last 100 years. OK, I lied. I love my new Kimber. As I love my old one.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yea 1911s are so obsolete as to be dinosaurs; I guess that makes me old also since I own eight of them.
    bigdog44 and garyacman like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    So why did you buy a clone instead of the original? I bought a series 70 Colt. Love it.
    I also asked this question to my friends who bought Indian motorcycles, copies of Harleys with different trim.

Because I have had good luck with Kimbers. And around here, a Colt is hard to come by.

Just bought my first 1911, a Kimber TLE II and OMG is the thing accurate. I didn't get it about the 1911s but now I do.
    In principle, principle and practice are the same, but in practice, they're not.

I have 3 1911's last one I bought was a Colt CC xse,the trigger sux,my RIA compact 1911 has a smoother lighter crisper trigger than my Colt that cost 3 times as much,good thing is it can be fixed,going in next week for a trigger job ,since it's my EDC I will be packing my Sig 229 while it's in the shop
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by PPKman View Post
    Just bought my first 1911, a Kimber TLE II and OMG is the thing accurate. I didn't get it about the 1911s but now I do.

That's what I felt after my first 1911 purchase as well... Awesome platform.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

The 1911 John M. Browning design is the basis for just about every semi auto handgun out there. Why would anyone say they are "obsolete?" Maybe if it was a flintlock 1911 perhaps.

While I do not own a 1911 .45 I do have a Smith & Wesson 9mm built upon that platform so after 100 years I haven't seen anyone come up with a much better idea. I don't think it will happen in the next 100 either.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    So why did you buy a clone instead of the original? I bought a series 70 Colt. Love it.
    I also asked this question to my friends who bought Indian motorcycles, copies of Harleys with different trim.
    Actually the Indian Motorcycle has been around longer than the Harley has. Indian's were first produced in 1901 versus HD in 1903.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually the Indian Motorcycle has been around longer than the Harley has. Indian's were first produced in 1901 versus HD in 1903.
    True.... Harley's were copies of Indian motorcycles.

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I don't own one currently, but would like to one day. Honestly, the only reason is that I like the looks of the 1911 design. I think 1911's started getting into relability concerns after the manufacturers began making smaller designs for the CC market. I think 1911s for the most part tend to be less reliable in compatc sizes. This is just an opinion I have formulated over years of reading reviews in forums like this and other places.

With near .41 magnum ballistics, and with the same or less recoil than a .45 I prefer the 10mm Colt Delta Elite:

Colt Delta Elite review - M1911.ORG E-zine
    Last edited by TonyDTrigger; September 24th, 2011 at 12:00 PM.

I took a buddy to the range yesterday who wants to buy a Kahr CM9. I own one so I brought it. His plan was to shoot and then buy the Kahr. I also brought my 1911 . He shot 5 rounds through the 1911 (all in the 10 ring) turned around and cursed me for letting him shot that gun. Today he does not own a Kahr and is researching 1911s.

EDIT: This thread needs some eye candy

1911's just get it done! They are very classic machines that go bang when the trigger is pulled. That is what I like!!

Whether you own a classic Colt, a Kimber, SA, Les Baer, Ed Brown, or so many of the fine variations they are all a part of American history with the design of John M. Browning at heart. The platform is excellent, the workmanship and details are what we then pay differing amounts for. That is based on preference and highly determined by our cash on hand.

Enjoy your Kimber 1911!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I've stated before that I sold my three Kimbers and went totally Glock, but that was not because of problems with the Kimbers.
    I had three CDPs and absolutely loved them. Great shooters, accurate, and none of MY three gave me problems.
    I switched to Glock for other personal reasons, not poor quality or mechanical reasons.
    Some others bad mouth Kimbers; I have a lot of respect for the 1911 platform, and Kimber in particular (it's the only kind of 1911 I had owned).

multistage did have me going there for a few moments...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Dangerous ground you have put yourself on my friend. You now risk turning into a full blown 1911 addict!
    That is once you start using the 1911 platform it may be very hard to turn to another.
    Sooo Welcome Aboard & Happy shooting!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links