How often should I lube my carry gun?

This is a discussion on How often should I lube my carry gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, so I've been out of town for a long while (over a month) and have just recently gotten back. I currently have a SIG ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How often should I lube my carry gun?

Alright, so I've been out of town for a long while (over a month) and have just recently gotten back. I currently have a SIG P229 that I use for carry and HD purposes, and haven't shot it for quite a while (about 2 months). I put on a layer of grease after my last time shooting it, loaded it up, and haven't really done much with it since.

I'm not sure, though, if I should lube it up again or if it's okay. I'm new to this whole gun thing and am still trying to learn what I still don't know.

Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't go overboard with lube, it can be an attractant to dust and lint especially if you don't shoot a lot or the weapon stays in a holster.

A good, thin layer of lube should suffice, I do that with my S&W 39 and inspect it on a fairly regular basis to see if the lube has dried up. Remember, too much of a good thing is not good.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

After each use, anytime that it's exposed to dirt or sand, or twice a year if unused.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

same for me,plus i use a can of compressed air to blow out the dust bunnies once a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    After each use, anytime that it's exposed to dirt or sand, or twice a year if unused.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I clean mine every 200 rounds or so.

Points above great. Only thing I do at the end of each week is just be sure put a thin layer of good oil on outside of gun and wipe down very well. Just want to ensure the weeks moisture is wiped off and a new layer of protection is on for next week. Just remember to remove the gun from any leather holster if worn for an extended period to allow everything to dry out. Leather holds a lot of moisture and up against steel it can lead to bad things.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I do a quick teardown, brush out, wipe down, and lube once a month. Gunzilla to clean, TW-25B grease to lube.

Of course, if the gun gets shot, it gets cleaned.
    oneshot likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

It probably doesn't need anything; but, if it was me and the gun had been locked up for two months, I would field strip, wipe down, and re-lube.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

If you use something like Lube 1 (available at auto parts stores-contains slick 50) it won't rust...even with acidic hands or light trip in the rain...so leaving it in the nightstand should be ok for quite a while. If left for a month, I would strip, clean/re-lube it....You never know exactly where a dirt dobber wasper will build it's nest, or a spider...or whatever. Cycle it clear, lock it open with the mag removed, stick your finger in there...just in case and look down that barrel-make sure it's not plugged up. Seen this happen with old wall-hanger shotguns in the countryside.

Too much oil is NOT GOOD, especially in the barrel. It can affect the flight of the bullet and also can leach into the primer and prevent it from firing...keep it unloaded until needed or swap out that round in the chamber, delegating the old one to range practice. Sellier & Belliot ammo is sealed around the primer and casing/bullet to prevent moisture entrance...good ammo for accuracy and wet environments.

Remember the old carnaba car wax? You can apply some of that to magazines if blued and it keeps them from rusting, even without any oil. If you get a slight spot of rust, use a #2 lead pencil eraser to erase the rust and lead it good with the lead, apply touch up with blue pen and then re-0il it. Old guy showed me this with a shotgun and it works rather well.
    Glow in the dark paint is great touch up for those white-dot sights. Bright orange works for the front. Competition shooters with iron sights, when shooting in daylight often carry a Zippo lighter and blacken the sights to reduce the glare.

Happy Shooting.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    PainCakesx, you're likely OK, in Oregon, year-round, with grease, but if you live specifically in an area of Oregon that sees colder winter temperatures, you'll want to wait until it's good and cold out, take a long walk outside in the freezing temps., and try running your gun immediately.

Here in NE-Ohio, it can get pretty cold in the winters, and one thing that many of us look at is how well our lubricants - on everything from our cars to our guns - work, at those temperatures.

You'll want to be sure that the grease you're using won't cause the action to slow/bind, when it thickens in the cold.

More than likely less often than you think.

I clean every gun after everytime I fire it - even if its just 1 mag.

On my carry gun. I take the sldie off 1x a week. I re-oil the rails (and locking block - I carry a Beretta 92FS)with a toothbrush (I use Breakfree CLP), and I wipe down the inside.

Because junk tends to accumulate around the hammer, I partially strip the frame and clean parts of it about 1x a month

eb
    I clean mine every time I fire them. As for a carry gun that hasn't been shot, I do a quick take-down, wipe off, re-lube about once a month. Only takes like 5 minutes...

VIP Member
    A gun will dry out just carrying it. I don't get to shoot as often as I would like. I do a systems check every day as I gear up and if it's starting to dry out, I do a quick re-lube.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If people cleaned and lubed their cars as often as they think they need to clean and lube their guns, the cars would last forever.

I clean and lube my guns after being fired, if dirty/grimy from being carried, or before being fired after long-term storage, as in longer than a year. It's never been an issue, either functionally or with rust concerns. Less oil/lube is generally better than too much.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links