My ideal defense gun.

My ideal defense gun.

This is a discussion on My ideal defense gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My question or opinion on a good defense gun will be different than most people. For me I feel a heavy, 8#-10# trigger and or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My ideal defense gun.

My ideal defense gun.

My question or opinion on a good defense gun will be different than most people. For me I feel a heavy, 8#-10# trigger and or a longer trigger pull is better. I have a M&P 45 & 9 full size and feel I should leave the trigger as factory. I also carry a S&W 380 Bodyguard and like the long trigger on that. My logic is based on two things, my experiences and my age. I feel the heavy and or long trigger gives me an advantage in a defense situation as I do not have the reaction time at 63 that I had at 30. I also feel very comfortable having a margin of error if I realize the target is my cat and not an intruder. I have been around guns my entire life and have had a concealed carry for thirty years but do not have the range time I wish I could have and I certainly do not have the training a Police officer would have to know what and or how to respond in a high stress situation. I had the option of buying a Walther PPQ or a S&W M&P in 9mm. I chose the M&P over the PPQ mainly due to the light trigger on the Walther and having the 45 already the 9 has the same layout for mag release and the trigger was identical to the 45. I envy some of you that get to shoot often and feel comfortable with a 1911 type of trigger but for me it just is not in the cards. The last thing I would want is to hurt a person that was trying to steal my iPod of Frank Sinatra songs because I flinched on a gun with a light trigger.
    If I can get more time at the range now that I am semi-retired I would consider changing the 45 trigger to a lighter and sharper break with a kit but for now I will be leaving them alone.
    Just my feelings about my condition but I need to do what I can live with and feel secure in my reaction to a stress condition.
    Stay safe, Frank.

Agreed. I'd rather increase my own risk than take the chance of firing accidentally because I flinched.

You would love the SIG P250.
    skysoldier29 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I agree. If and when I buy a 1911 it'll have to be one that allowes the trigger preassure to be adjusted higher.

your finger should not be anywhere near the trigger until you have identified your target and are ready to fire.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    tcon67 likes this.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Yeah, I have no interest in upgrading the trigger on my M&P either.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I'll be 64 next month but my defense gun is a 1911 with a trigger that breaks at 4 1/4 lbs. If your reaction time has slowed, you don't want a gun that slows you down even further. Just my two cents worth.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    your finger should not be anywhere near the trigger until you have identified your target and are ready to fire.

That right there
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I could not agree more. I feel better giving myself a margin of, for lack of a better description, a margin of decision. With a light trigger I need to know my target "absolutely" and I have read too many stories about mistaken shootings. Trust me, I have every intention to survive a attack or mugging but not at the cost of an innocent life. I did not mean that a heavy trigger pull was right for anyone else but me. I feel better knowing I can draw my gun or at the very least have my hand on the gun and know it is not going to go off until I want it to and that I have the choice even as I move my finger to the trigger to not fire. This is just my way of dealing with the responsibility of safe gun carry and self defense. Thanks for looking and be safe.
    Frank

You should do what you're comfortable with Frank. That's your decision.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

S&W Sigma! That baby won't go off without you wanting it to. Accurate and reliable too.
    Inexpensive and made in the U.S.A.!!
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    LOL I am so used to the heavy long trigger of my BG380, Keltec PF9, and P11 that the other weekend I shot a friends XDM Compact and had groupings where I was shooting one hole on top of another hole, etc. and the trigger felt so light to me. I too like a long heavy trigger for a self defense pistol. God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    S&W Sigma! That baby won't go off without you wanting it to. Accurate and reliable too.
    Inexpensive and made in the U.S.A.!!
    Thinking of getting another one in 9mm.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    My question or opinion on a good defense gun will be different than most people. For me I feel a heavy, 8#-10# trigger and or a longer trigger pull is better. I have a M&P 45 & 9 full size and feel I should leave the trigger as factory. I also carry a S&W 380 Bodyguard and like the long trigger on that. My logic is based on two things, my experiences and my age. I feel the heavy and or long trigger gives me an advantage in a defense situation as I do not have the reaction time at 63 that I had at 30. I also feel very comfortable having a margin of error if I realize the target is my cat and not an intruder. I have been around guns my entire life and have had a concealed carry for thirty years but do not have the range time I wish I could have and I certainly do not have the training a Police officer would have to know what and or how to respond in a high stress situation. I had the option of buying a Walther PPQ or a S&W M&P in 9mm. I chose the M&P over the PPQ mainly due to the light trigger on the Walther and having the 45 already the 9 has the same layout for mag release and the trigger was identical to the 45. I envy some of you that get to shoot often and feel comfortable with a 1911 type of trigger but for me it just is not in the cards. The last thing I would want is to hurt a person that was trying to steal my iPod of Frank Sanatra songs because I flinched on a gun with a light trigger. If I can get more time at the range now that I am smi-retired I would consider changing the 45 trigger to a lighter and sharper break with a kit but for now I will be leaving them alone. Just my feelings about my condition but I need to do what I can live with and feel secure in my reaction to a stress condition.
    Stay safe, Frank.
    The M&P is a fantastic firearm. Don't feel bad for not wanting to mess with the trigger, it's personal preference. I myself like putting an APEX kit in my M&P's but I am very fickle on my triggers as I tend to love 1911's and nice revolver triggers.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member

Spot on. If I'm not confident in my ability to do it right, I need to practice some more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links