Single action 44 spcl. good carry option?

This is a discussion on Single action 44 spcl. good carry option? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just ordered a Ruger New Vaquero 3.75 inch sheriff's model. It is one of the Lipsey's special edition guns. The thought of carrying this ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Single action 44 spcl. good carry option?

I just ordered a Ruger New Vaquero 3.75 inch sheriff's model. It is one of the Lipsey's special edition guns.
    The thought of carrying this gun intrigues me. I currently only have 2 revolvers in my carry rotation, a Colt Agent and.
    an NAA Pug which I carry doing yard work or going to the gym.
    I usually carry DOA pistols like the Kahr CM9 or Ruger LCP. I do not feel uncomfortable carrying double action revolvers
    because of their likeness to DOA pistols (point and shoot).
    I know that carrying a single action revolver will entail lots of practice but I think this Ruger will make an excellent winter carry gun.
    Does anyone here carry single action revolvers regularly and can you give me any advise on single action carry?

VIP Member
    Yeah will take some practice, reloads can be slow, but it has worked as a carry piece for a long time in history.

Might be fun though.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If you normally carry a DAO then carrying a SA on occasion is a very bad idea. If you train to draw and fire a DAO and then imagine one day you find yourself being taken to the ground by a bad guy with a knife and you are drawing as you fall backwards to the ground, how likely are you to remember under that situation that you need to cock it?

Could it work for you? Sure!
    Are there better options? Certainly!
    Training, practice, and developed muscle memory makes it happen.
    oneshot and tcon67 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Aside from training/acclimation to a SA, the biggest deficit is the slow reloading, even if you carry a spare cylinder.
    oneshot and tcon67 like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Arrow

I have thought about the issues that you guys have brought up, i.e. difference in manual of arms etc. I really bought this gun for target and possible cas. I will probably use it as my TV watching gun (sitting right next to me) also as that will give me an opportunity to fondle it regularly until the novelty wears off lol.
    I got a great deal on this gun at Budsguns. I have been looking at the Charter Arms Bulldog for a while and will probably buy one soon. I realize that the Bulldog would be a better option as a carry gun and that is what it will be. I would also consider an old Rossi 720 for carry.

Guantes, I just noticed that your reply was #5,000 for you. I am honored that you reached this goal on my thread. lol

Use the right tool for the job!

A flintlock might be better than a sharp stick, but why handicap yourself with your CCW? Have fun with your SA, but carry something better.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
    Guantes, I just noticed that your reply was #5,000 for you. I am honored that you reached this goal on my thread. lol
    Thank You. I didn't even notice. Its been a pleasure to be a participant here.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I wouldn't do it, but if that is what you want, go for it. I think Simply Rugged makes some holsters that might work for CC with that Ruger.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I carry a Ruger Blackhawk around the farm on a regular basis. As a all around gun it is very satisfactory, but I rarely carry it as a EDC off the farm, although I do at times.

franco45

I have thought about the issues that you guys have brought up, i.e. difference in manual of arms etc. I really bought this gun for target and possible cas. I will probably use it as my TV watching gun (sitting right next to me) also as that will give me an opportunity to fondle it regularly until the novelty wears off lol.

I worry about the idea of a TV gun that you "fondle regularly" becoming a possible ND.

Just my two-bits-worth.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

IT is what it is Franco45...me? if I had a Vacarro in 3.5" ....and was its master.....well I'd be sure carring it as a defensive side arm concealed, Ive carried SAO Rugers...Big bore bang, it just has to work for you and yours...what percentage of creatures could stand and then live on the difference between your modern sidearm, in your hand, and any other sidearm...not one....cause its gonna make a big modern,bloody hole...good luck amego, and wear that American iron with pride...

Carry a Ruger...keep a screw driver handy , to keep the frame screws tight...

Well....
    A Colt SAA clone in 44 Special is not the best choice for carry but it certainly is not the worst. I wouldn't feel sorry for myself if I had one in my hand when bad guys came knocking.
    Look at all the people who carry those ridiculous little North American Arms micro-revolvers.

May have posted this concealed carry tale here on the Forum before but I've toted this one on a few occasions and felt pretty well armed for most purposes.

An ugly but but original and tight Colt Single Action Army in .38-40 with 4 3/4-inch barrel, originally shipped from the Colt factory in 1905.

Well... except for one time.

About 20 years ago I planned a special "period piece" hunting trip to the deer lease in which I was only going to rely on old-time guns. I enthusiastically packed a Winchester Model 1886 .45-90 along with this Colt and my hunting/camping kit into the pickup for a few days hunting. The lease, comprised of several sections of land, was in a very remote area of Texas and not so far from the border. My brother-in-law's eldest brother hooked the two of us up on this excellent lease with a major Texas river running through right through it.

The camp consisted of an old ranch house that was dilapidated. Doors were missing and the roof was falling in in places. Cattle were able to walk through it along with critters of all sorts and a hive of bees had taken up residence in a wall. Only one front room had been walled off and sealed up from the remainder of the house and was made into a bunk house with rude beds for the hunters. The windows were covered over in thick plastic sheeting to help minimize the drafts.

I drove down the day my vacation started, looking forward to a few days away and some solitude. I relished the notion of being the only person on the place since I was going down mid-week. I turned in early that evening as I was whipped from along day tying up loose ends at work and from the drive down. Long after midnight I awoke out of a sound sleep to find the room bathed in blazing bright light, the window across from my bunk, almost blinding me from light shining through the plastic sheeting.

I couldn't resolve the light or it's source in my mind but it was so unnaturally bright that it was startling. It served to bring me to full wakefulness and alertness. I was alone on this place, many miles from the nearest habitation or even cell phone service (I probably didn't even have one with me) and there was suppose to be no such a light out in the yard at this time of night. I decided that there must be one or more vehicles outside with their headlights trained on the front of house. This was a known route for illegals to pass, following the river in traversing the region. Perhaps they were meeting up with some cronies out there now, deep within this ranch at the old abandoned house.

I reached for the Colt, inside its leather holster and lying on a table beside my bunk. What to do? The room was sealed and there was only one way out, the door, which was on the same side as the window from which the light was shining.

I thought to load the Winchester but the ammunition was deep in my tote box and would be difficult to find without turning on a light. There was no electricity and I didn't want to turn on my flashlight for fear of alerting those outside to my movement.

I sat in there in the dark for several minutes listening and pondering my predicament. I kept hoping it was another hunter making a late arrival but none were scheduled to be there. Perhaps a sheriff's deputy or game warden and stumbled down into the ranch and was checking my vehicle out. It finally occurred to me that whoever was outside was probably messing with my pickup, going through it in search of booty and I couldn't abide that. I faced up to the fact that I was going to have to deal with the situation while relying on the Colt. I went to the door, unlatched it quietly and began to ease it open just a crack to try to observe who was in the yard without being obvious. As I gently pushed the door open I remember thinking to myself that I had any number of nice modern handguns back at home, all which would be infinitely better for dealing with this situation in which I found myself than an ancient single action with 5 rounds in it and no hope of a reload. My favorite Smith & Wesson Model 10, along with a handy speed loader or two which would have normally been found in a coat pocket, was back home. So were the 1911s and Hi-Power with spare loaded magazines galore.

With my heart in my mouth in anticipation of what I would find awaiting me when I peeped, I looked out through the crack in the door .... to find a full moon, low in the eastern sky and as big and bright as the clear, dry winter's air of a remote region of Texas could make it. Its brilliance shot through the plastic sheeting, bathing the interior of the room in a diffused and eerie light.

I laughed out loud at myself and the tizzy I had worked myself into and ruefully balanced the Colt in my hand, fully aware that I'd felt woefully under-gunned when faced with a possible real need.

I dug a full compliment of .45-90 cartridges from the ammo box within my tote box, stuffed them into the Winchester, laid it on the floor beneath the bunk bed, placed the Colt back on the table, made sure the door was latched and got back into the sleeping bag.

Upon reflection, I should have made the effort to load the Winchester before sorting out what could have been outside, even if some light was shown and noise was made. I could have used the light just long enough to identify the box, loading the rifle in the dark.

I carried the Winchester again on some more occasions, the Colt too, but always backed it up with another sidearm, just for that extra measure of comfort.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Thank You. I didn't even notice. Its been a pleasure to be a participant here.
    Congrats brother. Your knowledge and expierence has been a great addition to the forum.

OS

Franco45 welcome to the forum.

Carry what you want friend it's your life you can do what you want.

That said if I were you carrying the SA as a primary I would also carry the Colt Agent as a BUG or vice a versa.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links