M&P 9mm VTAC Range Report and Picture review

This is a discussion on M&P 9mm VTAC Range Report and Picture review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my new Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm VTAC out the other day for the first time. Just thought i'd share my feedback on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: M&P 9mm VTAC Range Report and Picture review

I took my new Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm VTAC out the other day for the first time. Just thought i'd share my feedback on the gun. This is actually my first M&P and I am really liking it so far.

Function of the pistol was perfect and did not have one hiccup on my first range trip out. I only went through 250 rounds due to time constraints, but it fired flawlessly right out of the box.

Ergonomics on this pistol are superb. I am using the smallest backstrap and it feels like it was molded for my hand. Trigger is actually better than I thought it would be. It breaks pretty clean at exactly 6.0 lbs as tested by my trigger pull gauge. The trigger reset is not as positive as say a glock trigger, but it is still nice and I had no problem utilizing it to shoot accurately. For some reason, the factory VTAC trigger feels smoother to me than a standard M&P trigger. I'm not sure if it's all in my head, maybe someone can confirm this? I do have the Apex Forward set sear trigger kit on order, so I will post results when that comes in. (I am a 1911 guy at heart, so I'm hoping I will really like the new trigger setup)

I will also say that the "feature" where the slide automatically slides forward and chambers a round when you slap a loaded mag in is neat. I will not depend on it, but I was able to replicate the function 100% of the time when I held the gun at a 45 degree angle and jambed a loaded mag into the gun and hit the bottom of the back strap with the palm of my hand. Neato.

My only gripe or thing that I need to get used to is the sight picture with the stacked VTAC sights. I'm used to a 6 o'clock sight picture, so with the sights being extra tall...I was holding pretty much a 12 o'clock sight picture when looking at the top fiber optic dots. If I tried to utilize the tritium (bottom dots) and put those directly on target, I would hit a bullseye every time. (same hole accuracy) Although it was a slower target acquisition.

I do not think the sights are overly busy as some have mentioned after fondling it in the gunshop. In practice, in low light the tritium dots stand out and the fiber optics fade away. Vice versa in daylight... outside the fiber optic dots glow extremely bright and the tritium are not noticeable.

I hope to get some more outdoor range time next week so I can train with the sights more. But so far, I am really impressed with the M&P lineup and I don't know why I waited so long to get one!? It may be one of my new favorites.

First target shot with the gun. Needed to get used to the sights.

At this target, at 10 yards, I put the top of the front blade at 12 o'clock on the second ring.

subsequently....If I put the tritium front dot on POI at the same distance, it yielded these results...(we are only looking at the center paster here. All the other shots around the cardboard are from previous shooters. The gun range really needed to change out their cardboard. )

Couple more pics of the gun...

Happy new member of the family!

charski and zonker1986 like this.

very nice. Are those TFO type night sights?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    very nice. Are those TFO type night sights?
    They are Viking Tactical VTAC for short.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    I think this may be my next purchase. In answer to your question about the trigger, they are the same as any other M&P. It's just that you may have had a negative view point from what you may have heard. I have always said that the stock trigger is not bad, it can be made great with APEX gear or a trigger job. I say the same thing with my Glocks too as I don't run a stock trigger in them either. They tend to be a touch heavy out of the box compared to M&P, but indeed do have a real positive reset. Almost too positive as it seems a touch mechanical and throws me off a little because I don't have another single firearm that pops on the reset like a Glock.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I missed a VTAC at my gun shop but thought it was great. I handled it and left, came back the next day and it was gone. I decided to buy a standard M&P 9 and have a S&W trigger kit installed. I was afraid the APEX would void my warranty so the owner called his S&W dealer and found out the APEX would not void the warranty and said he would put the APEX in not the S&W as it is a better kit. Honesty, I love it.
    Frank

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Very nice knife, too.

That is one bad pistol brother. I have a standard M&P 45c, and it is a flawless pistol. Over 3,500 rounds through it with absolutely no malfunctions of any kind. I love the Vtac, its a little out of my price range personally. But my next purchase will be the 9c, or 9fs. I have Glock 19, and the M&P will always be my "go to" pistol.

Congrats!!!!
    Glock 19 gen 4
    M&P 45c
    Mossberg Maverick 12g
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    They are Viking Tactical VTAC for short.

yes, I know they are VTAC, but what exactly comprises a VTAC sight? They look like a Tritium Fiber Optic (TFO) setup?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

That last pic of the whole family is awesome. I love the color selections! Congrats and enjoy!
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    yes, I know they are VTAC, but what exactly comprises a VTAC sight? They look like a Tritium Fiber Optic (TFO) setup?
    Zonker. The VTAC sight consists of a stacked setup. The fiber optic tube sits on top and the tritium dots are on the bottom.
    On Truglo TFO sights, these two elements are combined.

Some observations about the two sight systems in comparison.
    The TFO sights are much longer and have more exposed lengths of fiber optic tubes. Hence, they are very bright in daylight. I have not had any durability issues with my TFO's on my other guns. However some people have reported that their tubes fell out. Also, the front sight blade is much longer. It's looks more fragile although that may just be looks. I have no complaints about them though and actually love shooting with them.

The VTAC setup has shorter fiber optic tubes that look more robust and are squared off on top and fill the entire cavity of the sight blade. They are super bright as well. I would say that the VTAC tritium dots are a tad brighter, but they are also smaller than the TFO's. The main advantages I could see with these sights vs. the TFO's is the ability to use them to do one handed slide manipulations (IE: racking the slide on your belt or edge of something) and also the ability to shoot with a suppressor because of the added height. Whether or not that is of any value is up to the end user. I will say that some additional training with these sights might be required because it is different from all my other guns.

Here's a couple of pics for comparison purposes...

VIP Member
    She's a keeper! Nice shootin' too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks everyone for the kind words...Hopefully this review can help someone that might be considering this pistol...

Awesome pistol and excellent review.

I too have a newly acquired M&P, mine is the 9c and I must say it has become my favorite semi auto outa all the others in the safe, including my Glocks. IMO, the M&P soaks up the recoil and allows me faster followup shots. The pistol is as accurate as I can make it, so no complaints there either.. Overall fine pistol IMO and definitely a keeper.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUST8383 View Post
    I will also say that the "feature" where the slide automatically slides forward and chambers a round when you slap a loaded mag in is neat. I will not depend on it, but I was able to replicate the function 100% of the time when I held the gun at a 45 degree angle and jambed a loaded mag into the gun and hit the bottom of the back strap with the palm of my hand. Neato.
    Nice feature, and a very nice pistol.... nice family too!

Thumbs up M&P 9 VTAC review

Trust8383 ,
    Thanks so much for this review! I've been struggling with the decision to buy either an XDM9, or an M&P9 VTAC, for a few months, while saving up money. I have held & shot both (well, I've shot a standard M&P, not the VTAC), & I love the ergos on the M&P much more than the XDM, but I prefer the XDM's trigger, so I have had a a really tough time making a decision. Your review has helped me so much, so thanks again! I will be buying a VTAC as soon as I can. The M&Ps feel so good in my hand, & all of the details you touched on really sold it for me. I think I might really like the stacked sights as well, though I won't know for sure until I get some rounds downrange. Anyways, thanks, & I like the fact that you posted just to say that you hoped your review helped somebody make a decision. It helped me, & I joined this forum just so I could thank you. Whew, I'm not usualy this long-winded, sorry, but this post really helped me, even though I didn't find it until a year later!
    Philly Boy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links